2020 GAMING DIARY

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Front Mission 3 has been completed! Saying that, Onimusha - Dawn of Dreams... I dunno. There are graphical errors in the menus and map screen that are known bugs with the emulator. That's a little frustrating onto itself, and if that were all, I'd probably be okay-ish. However, the puzzle elements of this game could be getting to me too. Like, I knew they existed, but, I must have forgotten how downright annoying they sometimes were.
Marrend
Got as far as Stage 12 (the Sakai Facility) in Onimusha - Dawn of Dreams. This is the same place I dropped the game last time I tried it, which was when we still had a physical PS2.

I was able to complete the game at least once back then, and I still have the walkthrough that probably helped me through it before. Still, I'm highly tempted to just drop this game, and do another game.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Been a while. Haven't been playing a lot of games lately, but I have been experimenting with...

Metroid: Zero Mission
I haven't had a lot of experience with the Metroid series thus far. I've played Metroid Prime but couldn't escape the opening area in time. I've also fussed with the original, but got annoyed with it before long. Watching a game reviewer on YouTube lately called ImplantGames, I decided to take a crack at Zero Mission. Doing pretty well at it thus far, and having fun! As I usually lean JRPG these days, it's fun to step outside my comfort zone with a franchise that's grown on me, even from afar.

I've gotten as far as Kraid's Lair, though I'm stuck on how to advance. A lot of corridors but not many means to progress far. Due to how Zero Mission adds to the original Metroid, I had to get through all(?) of Norfair and just beat a new mini-boss added to Brinstar. As stuck as I am, I'm hesitant to reach for a guide. I'd like to figure this out blind as much as I can, and it's fun to discover new stuff. Aside from playing Igavania games and Chasm, I've not actually gotten far in any Metroid and would love to figure this out as much as I can by myself.

Continued Game Lineup
A mix between Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 7, and/or Dragon Quest 3. Likely in order from greatest to least. Read up to my last point in FFT in its War of the Lions translation. Fun times, and inspires me to dive back in.
Zero Metroid was my second favorite Metroid, right behind Super Metroid. One thing I will advise though, it has some of the trickiest hidden spots. If you're going for completionist, good luck; You'll have to become a master of the shinespark.
Marrend
author=Illy
You'll have to become a master of the shinespark.

Don't even remind me. There is one upgrade in Brinstar that always gets me annoyed in Zero Mission, even if I'm using an emulator and saved states. I think it's a Super Missle rack the upper-right corner of a map, and getting to that particular location needs a diagonal shinespark rush at a very specific location to get. It's like, even one pixel off sends you way the hell over where you need to be, or crashing into the cliff-face just below said upgrade. It's dumb.

*Edit: Still going through Onimusha. I passed Stage 12 with the help of a walkthrough, so, there's that. I've been running characters through the Dark Realm before continuing. Though, I find it somewhat annoying that characters don't continue delving from where they left off. Even if it's limited to "boss floors", that would make me feel like I'm progressing, but, no, every time you enter, it's from floor 1.

My run of Bloodstained has come to a complete halt, as I have no clue how to progress. My last run saw me at the Tower of the Twin Dragons, where double-jump got me into a new room. However, progress beyond that room proved a little difficult, and I mentally set it aside for when I obtained the game's version of Gravity Boots. Like, I've had a few situations where I fell some crazy distance, and getting back to where I was to try again just felt like a waste of time/effort.

Funnily enough, I think I was in the right general place. I looked up a walkthrough, and the next boss fight is, surprise, in the Tower of the Twin Dragons! So, um, welp?

*Edit 2: I've almost forgotten about Valkyria Chronicles 4. It was temporarily put aside when I was playing Front Mission 3 (both being strategy/tactics games), but, maybe I could pick that up again?
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I mamaged to finish Knight of Lodis. It's a solid game, but some battles just took too long because of animations.

I will update the thread later tonight.
Marrend
Onimusha - Dawn of Dreams has been completed! So, what do I think about this game? I did have some moments of fun, sure. I like how you can level up equipment and skills.

Saying that, the puzzle-boxes are almost pointless to me. It's either: solve the puzzle, and get the item now, or break the box, and pay money to identify the item later. The puzzle-dungeons? They can go to hell. With the amount of character swapping that they ask for, I almost feel like limiting it to save points only can get players locked out of the game.

So, yeah, I guess I played the game to remind myself why I got rid of it in the first place.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
So,I'm deciding among more than ROMs (Metroid: Fusion, Castlevania: Aria of the night), playing some smaller games (this usually takes a lot time trying out what works on my laptop) and visiting Xeen. I think the last one might be the one I pick if I have another week alone.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
So,I'm deciding among more than ROMs (Metroid: Fusion, Castlevania: Aria of the night), playing some smaller games (this usually takes a lot time trying out what works on my laptop) and visiting Xeen. I think the last one might be the one I pick if I have another week alone.
Marrend
The stay-in-place order has been extended to the end of April. So, looks like I'll have plenty of time to either play games, or make them. Or do a written LP of something? The mention of Xeen piqued my interest in that regard, not going to lie.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Metroid: Zero Mission
Managed to get farther! Am right before the battle with Kraid; the acid worm mini-boss was one instance where I needed a hint, but managed once I figured out how to do it. So far I lost to Kraid one time, and I beat the acid worm after losing once with the hint.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Not much more to report. Did some grinding, still right before at the first Meliadoul fight for now. I gotta say, between the new script for War of the Lions and the Remergence hack for that version? I might give this game another shot after I beat it.

Pokemon Leaf Green
Started this up and marathoned it yesterday and today. Am about six-and-a-half hours into play. I'm trying to keep my team pretty exclusive, so I don't have to worry about grinding too much. Named the rival Tiger, after the first trainer name I ever used in any Pokemon game. Misty's Starmie was absolutely oppressive with Water Pulse! Am currently on the SS Anne. My roster of Pokepals are as follows for Raziya...

Main Team
* Acacia, Ivysaur -- Lv 20, Naive nature, Overgrow. Knows Bullet Seed, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Vine Whip.

* Rook, Pidgeotto -- Lv 19, Brave nature, Keen Eye. Knows Quick Attack, Gust, Sand-Attack, and Attract.

* Scylla, Magikarp -- Lv 18, Sassy nature, Swift Swim. Knows Splash and Tackle. :p

* Puck, Clefairy -- Lv 19, Quirky nature, Cute Charm. Knows Water Pulse, Mega Kick, Encore, and Sing.

* Psyker, Kadabra -- Lv 19, Modest nature, Synchronize. Knows Confusion, Disable, Teleport, and Secret Power.

* Cleo, Meowth -- Lv 18, Brave nature, Pickup. Knows Scratch, Pay Day, Bite, and Dig.

Boxed
* Lily, Buttefree -- Lv 18, Brave Nature, Compound Eyes. Knows Stun Spore, Supersonic, Confusion, and Sleep Powder.
I've been playing through Code Vein and I'm near the end. It's pretty fun and I do recommend it if you can find it for a good price. It's not nearly as great as Dark Souls - the level design is good but isn't quite there, and there isn't nearly the armor, enemy or weapon variety. I am still enjoying it quite a lot though and I would like to see a sequel.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
April::..
1. Gothic
I discovered that before giving away my dvds from gaming mags, I installed Gothic and Gothic 2 on my computer. I really dig the fiction and the worldbuilding but the game is slow and you can see the time sink from ten miles away. I spent some five hours with it so far and lost at least two hours of progress as the game is hardcore without autosaves.

I finally got myself a new phone and I have 4G internet now, so I can work on school projects again.

2. Porklite
It's a neat little retro rogue, you can play in your browser. I think it's really polished and a great example of well scoped project. I tried few runs before rage quiting, but the game certainly is a good one if you're in hardcore dying.

Also, I continued with Gothic and now I'm some twenty hours in. I'm finally stronger, I'm engaged, but there are also things, which make me feel like I'm wasting my time with the game. And it is the case as I'm supposed to have my thesis almost finished and I haven't written a single line in last two weeks.

3. Forward
Today, I suddenly got in mood for card driven games. I played some Star Realms on my phone and several browser games on itch.io.
Forward is an interesting little almost rpg. You have a character, collect items and move forward. In front of you, there are always three cards and you can choose your path. Monsters take from your health, potions replenish it and so on. It's quite an addictive affair with nice presentation. I recommend trying it out if you feel out of ideas too as it made my mind racing.

4. The Snake Mother
This isn't a card game but a beautiful choose your own adventure bitsy game with great lore. The story is dripping with atmosphere and I was thrilled for the whole duration of this micro game. It was partly thanks to great music too.
Play it here.

5. Patient Rogue
Another card driven roguelike. This one's really cool, addictive and has cool graphics. Overall it's a super polished package and I can see myself playing some more. It's also very difficult and little frustrating due to randomness. You die of hunger way too often. And if you happen to come across a sufficient amount of food, you end up being out of weapons. The game presents some really cool idea, which I might prefer in this rough and simplistic form over something more sophisticated (and better designed in terms of fairness). Try it out.

6. Mondar's Dungeon
Mondar's Dungeon is another beautiful permadeath with very pretty art, but the gameplay is too frustrating and not us fun as Patient Rogue. It's even more board gamey and more random and you usually die super fast because of its unfair mechanics.

7. Heartscape
A Ludum Dare entry is mere one level of a possible future puzzler combined with deck building. I love the presentation, which reminds me of Princess Remedy, music is banging and mechanics tight. I hope to see more of this game soon.

8. Tiny Islands
A digital version of flip and writes is fun and rules of this game definitely more digestible in a digital form (counting all of these points would kill me in a physical game). Also, daily runs add it a lot. It's a cool concept, but i got bored rather quickly as it's probably better played with competition.

9. Dragoon Drop
The game's a turned based platformer, where you use a deck of cards for movement and attacks. Yes, you need to lick the right card to attack and sometimes it takes a while. Definitely a brain burner but a great idea.I think that the deckbuilding could work better or offer either more interesting or more defined variety of commands (on one hand I like the simplicity of cards in Dragoon Drop, on the other most commands aren't satisfying. I think your hand could be way tighter). I dig the retro look, feel and sound of the game. Drag and drop on the other doesn't feel quite smooth as I would like it to be. Burning cards is boring, I'd try to add little more to it.
Anyway, this design has a lot of potential.

10. Star Realms
A simple card deckbuilder in its digital form. The campaign is very challenging and I can't keep myself from trying again.

11. Card City Nights
In this game you collect cards and battle citizens of card city. The game's extremely charming with characters from other Ludosity games such as Ittle Dew and Muri and many older smaller games. The core gameplay is addicting and fun but the real gem are lines of dialogue. The story itself is light but you can talk with every character multiple time and they usually have more than ten things to say. There's so much flavour to this. The jazzy soundtrack definitely adds to overall positive vibe.
Marrend
I've been near-obsessively playing Dynasty Warriors 4 in the last two weeks, or so. I think I've now cooled off on it again, and am looking for something new.

Though, I've also been doing Tabletop Simulator with my brother, playing board games with our friends online. We've found 90% of our collection as free mods in Steam's Workshop, and there were a few Magic: The Gathering tables that could prove useful too. We tried playing a game of Commander yesterday, but, it didn't quite work out.
Marrend
Welp, I decided to take the plunge, and start Final Fantasy Tactics and Wild Arms 4. I kinda figure these games should keep me occupied for a while. I mean, the lockdown order is currently good until the end of April. I've a feeling it's going to be extended again. We'll see.

FFT blat:

My team, consisting of Ramza, Masako, Sataro, Toshie, and Shirai, have pretty much all obtained level 4 Squire and Chemist at this point. Well, Toshie only has 3 levels of Chemist, but, whatever.

Still very much in Chapter 1, my next plot event is the thieves' den two nav point jumps south of Igros.

WA4 blat:

As of this writing, the team I'll have for the rest of the game has pretty much just assembled. Our current destination is a shrine (I forget the name), and I think will be the place where we have our first encounter with the elite goon squad that is Broniac.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Mareend, daymn. Am glad you're giving FF Tactics a shot. One of my all-time favorites! You're definitely giving Squire more grinding than I did before (outside of Ramza), and your item use will be top-notch. *_*

Did s'more Pokemon Leaf Green and Dragon Quest 3 lately; will recount it in the near future.
Marrend
Small update. I should be finishing Wild Arms 4 sometime this week. As for Final Fantasy Tactics, I started Chapter 3 yesterday, which I think is the chapter Rafa and Malik can permanently join you. Despite what the game says about their base-class abilities, they always seemed kinda "meh" to me.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Oh man. Lot of gaming lately. Will try to keep things brief...

Pokemon Leaf Green
Am stuck somewhere in Silph Company. So many battles... have been streaming my escapades over Twitch. Am picking up more Pokemon than I really want on my team, even as far as auxiliaries go.

Dragon Quest 3
Sticking with the GBC version, I made it to Romaly last time. The cave leading off of Aliahan's island is always a huge pain in the neck but hey, no one died so far. I think the only casualty was Raziya (my Hero) early on, but am doing well otherwise. Thinking of continuing in the near future.

Soul Calibur 6
Had gotten a PS4 a week or two ago, so giving this a shot. Fussed with online play and made some custom characters, but none of the casual or ranked scene is fun for long. I love Libra of Souls mode though; it has light RPG elements alongside a campaign as a character acting behind-the-scenes of the new timeline. In many ways SC6 feels a return to form over SC4 and 5, having plenty of offline fun in addition to an online scene.

Fallout 4
Decided to not abandon this after all, now that I can run it! Playing Dana, my apocalyptic OC. Am about to head to the big battle in the Automatron DLC, at level 17. First real trouble that I have to come back to later is the mission to obtain the Shishkebab flamethrower-sword, a favorite weapon of mine as of Fallout 3. Sticking to a high-Luck build that accentuates pistols (especially energy-firing ones) and fast melee weapons for its offense.

Wasteland 2
Though the control scheme is altered for console play, have started over with a PS4 version of Wasteland 2. Instead of going to Ag Center which seems rough for beginners, going to Highpool. Dana's energy weapons made short work of many Wreckers due to their conductive armor, though the first "boss battle" against Jackhammer and her best crew was tense. Alongside Dana are Eric (leader with a shotgun / assault rifle), Tom "Prowler" (sniper / sapper who can also use pistols), and Paige "Alley Cat" (brawler / medic who can move big distances on her turns; I tend to keep just fisticuffs on her, and give her explosives).

Games Going Forward...
I'd like to continue FF7, in preparation for eventually playing the remake. Alongside Dragon Quest 3, I'm most looking forward to doing more Fallout 4. FF Tactics is still on hold; am unsure how soon I wanna continue Wasteland 2 or Soul Calibur 6?
Marrend
So, I haven't played many video games much at all since last post. Like, I think I've played maybe two sessions of Valkyria Chronicles, maybe did a session of Castlevania Bloodstained, and polished off Wild Arms 4.

This event is certainly a factor, plus I'm still pretty active with Table Top Simulator.
Marrend
Managed to play more FFT since last post. My next plot-event is, unfortunately, Riovanes Castle. Can't say I'm looking forward to that fight. ;_;

I'm kinda itching to start something new. I don't really have any particular inclinations about what. Except, maybe, to play the original FF7 before getting the remake?

Then again, playing anything on the PS4 has been a hard sell lately. Even during the height of CONVOID-19's self-isolation, it just wasn't an attractive option. On the other hand, I suppose it's good that I found other things to occupy my time, and keep what remains of my sanity.