AN ITCH.IO USER KEEPS WANTING TO CONVERT MY GAMES, KINDA WEIRD

Pages: first 12 next last
unity
You're magical to me.
A few moments, I got a comment on my game's itch.io page from a user who asks the simple question "Did you make this in RPG Maker VX Ace?"

This wouldn't be a big deal except the same user asked the same question to me on the same page 11 months ago.

This user seemingly goes on to any game page they can find on itch.io and, if it looks like the game was made in VX Ace, they ask if they can convert the game into RPG Maker MV. I said no. However, if you say yes, they want all your files for your game.

If you look at their post history, it certainly tells a story. Pages and pages of asking if this game was made in VX Ace, lots of asking to convert games, only peppered with a handful of any other sort of comment. It almost looks like a bot.

Here are some screenshots.

My question is, am I being silly, or is this an issue? I know you can convert a game from Ace to MV as far as the base files and tilesets go, but it's not so easy to just churn out a conversion, especially if your game uses a lot of scripts that may or may not have an equivalent plugin in MV.

Not to mention that this person seems to be asking multiple people a day for this. They claim they've posted completed conversions on their itch.io page but it looks to me the same as it did a year ago. Feels like it could be some kind of scam, but I really don't understand what the person gains from it aside from your game's files.

I suppose they could dump the game on a storefront or something. Is this even something that I should be reporting to itch.io directly? Or just a weird user I should just be ignoring? XD Any insights would be appreciated.
It does look to be a scam. I'd report it, for sure.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Scam. Sounds like this grifter's trying to glom onto another developer's success.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Holy cow, that scamming thief was persistent. ;-; Yeah, I wouldn't take that nonsense sitting down, definitely report the creep.
I saw a comment like this earlier on Liyashi’s game, Solstice Delivery. Thanks for spreading awareness, I’m so sorry this happened to you. If I see any more comments like this I’ll report them. I hope these game thieves get the hint and stop for a while (I know they probably won’t but still, you can hope). As long as people’s games and privacy can be protected. I admire how everyone works together to stop stuff like this, which doesn’t happen as often as other communities I think? And if it does, it’s usually dealt with very quickly like the scandals last year and the mods are very helpful on this site. Thanks again for all your hard work.
You're not being silly. This is sketchy as fuck.
I’ve informed people in the pixel horror discord. I know someone is probably going to do the same in the other servers. I just wanted to let people know sooner rather than later. Also reporting and downvoting his comments.
unity
You're magical to me.
Thanks everyone, I thought it sounded pretty weird.

author=rpghorrorfan
I saw a comment like this earlier on Liyashi’s game, Solstice Delivery. Thanks for spreading awareness, I’m so sorry this happened to you. If I see any more comments like this I’ll report them. I hope these game thieves get the hint and stop for a while (I know they probably won’t but still, you can hope). As long as people’s games and privacy can be protected. I admire how everyone works together to stop stuff like this, which doesn’t happen as often as other communities I think? And if it does, it’s usually dealt with very quickly like the scandals last year and the mods are very helpful on this site. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Thanks! ^_^ To be fair, nothing bad happened to me, as I refused to give them anything, but better safe than sorry.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, I wouldn't give that bot person my data.
Another idea might be that this guy just wants to play an RMMV version of your game. Don't know why, though.
It's worth noting that RMMV games are much easier to export into other formats like APKs, hence why some of these pirates and reuploaders have been targeting MV games over Ace.

But it sounds like this guy is looking to exploit some loophole to get permission to use your game and assets. They're very likely trying to get you to agree to something, but exploiting what the range of that consent is. I've had people ask me on tumblr years ago if they could make fan translations, but to send them the files. Which, any well-intentioned person would have cracked the games open to do that in the first place.

This is also why you should be very careful if people approach you asking to sell merch on mass-production sites like RedBubble.
Tons of pirate sites like to convert Unity (the engine not the person, what a way for that to collide) games to html5 to host on ad infested places. I have no idea how they converted some of my unity games without the source project/code but it's a popular engine so maybe MV is a little harder in that regard and requires an actual person to backdoor the process.
And I thought, it's because my game is good. Seems like he just asked to everyone. He said Ok right after I declined. Sad life.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
smhaaokir
And I thought, it's because my game is good. Seems like he just asked to everyone. He said Ok right after I declined. Sad life.

I suppose it takes all kinds. I just wonder what these people could accomplish if they put an iota of the effort they put into scamming people into actually creating something unique.
JustAShyDoge
Still a dumb and shy doggo
author=Tw0Face
Another idea might be that this guy just wants to play an RMMV version of your game. Don't know why, though.
Even without the spamming to ask multiple person, I see no valid reason to actually convert vxa to mv unless they're planning to release on android stores, or anonymous website and claim it as their own.
I got someone asking me about converting Prom Dreams to MV, though it was on Gamejolt rather than itch.io. They were pretty persistent too. Same person? :/
Well, I’ve been checking his profile every once in a while. He wasn't hugely active for a week or so, but he’s already reuploaded a few games that aren’t his.

If you check his community profile, you can see that he’s asked something called the Pixel fx community if any of the tools are compatible with MV, so he can “make his own games”. https://itch.io/t/648987/rpg-maker-mv All older comments from a while ago have been deleted (though not sure if that’s automatic or he did it himself, as I can still find some from a year ago).

He’s made a few comments on other games in the past week or so, but luckily no one has replied.

The games in question are:
Mischief Kittens
Original:https://karpo.itch.io/mischief-kittens
Reupload:https://sight21.itch.io/mischief-kittens-mv-version

The Shadow
Original:https://rafael-cardoso.itch.io/the-shadow-demo-english
Reupload:https://sight21.itch.io/the-shadow

(Also note the description on both: IF there is any need to take this down I will. And if there is a gamepage of this somewhere else let me know. If there is, I didn't know and I am not trying to steal anything. Just found this in my external hard drive.) Kinda suspicious if you ask me.

He made a comment on the first a while ago but no reply from the dev. The dev replied on the second asking to chat in private. He links back to the original on the first, only states the author’s name on the second. So it seems like he could just be converting then, but I doubt it. And I’m not downloading them to find out. I’ve reported both games linking back to the original. Hopefully this will be enough, and we can stop him stealing/converting any more games.
JustAShyDoge
Still a dumb and shy doggo
Indeed his intention are unclear.

On your first link it seems the author have agreed.
(You can see the original stated MV version link which link to their page with the same updated time. Original 9 days, theirs 10 days ago)

But however, the 2nd link as you stated "Just found this in my external hard drive" is a game that was 3 yrs ago. You can't just "Oh, it's 3 yrs and you forgot, it's mine now!" But at the same time, they also did credit original author AND their role correctly(Co-programmer and gametester) it could be original author abandon their game and gave them to fix it.

Also if he did wanted to steal games(like I stated in other websites) he wouldn't upload to the same website where the original authors are.

A strange fella indeed. It seems his intention are good, for now.
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
I kind of just lump everyone into the "can I rip you off" category when they ask stuff like that. It's really red flag-ish behavior.
He reposted/reuploaded another game: https://sight21.itch.io/the-hawkman
Unfortunately the original creator FrozenPhoenix doesn't appear to still be active online. The Gamejolt page for it is also gone. There is this YouTube video though: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JWly4h7WIr4

I reported the page but I doubt it will do anything. Seems to be the case for the other games.
Pages: first 12 next last