DO YOU THINK MAKING ALL THESE BRIDGES USABLE IS REALLY NECESSARY? RMMV

Pages: 1
I'm beginning to make a game based on the Earthsea books, starting off with Havnor Great Port. I'm trying to make it true to the books, where it describes it being a maze of a city, with staircases and bridges connecting the roofs of the buildings.

I've made them all so they can be crossed above, and underneath, but I'm getting concerned that this might start impacting performance quite a bit, and maybe I should just have them over the streets, but unusable, just being there for aesthetics. It amounts to 745 events on this one map, without even having added any NPCs yet.

The clusters of events shown on the map below indicate where a bridge is.

You could always cheat and make two maps, one for the ground and one for the roof part of the map.
Another option to try would be splitting the whole town into two separate maps – east and west side of town, for example, or north and south.
I've settled on just making the bridges as overhead tiles, and putting gates on the stairs leading to them. My computer has high ram, and a decent graphics card (for a laptop), and it was beginning to show some choppiness when moving, so I figured it will probably get even worse once there are npcs in the city as well.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
MoonWolfV
I've settled on just making the bridges as overhead tiles, and putting gates on the stairs leading to them. My computer has high ram, and a decent graphics card (for a laptop), and it was beginning to show some choppiness when moving, so I figured it will probably get even worse once there are npcs in the city as well.

Oh, that's a shame, but I guess you gotta do what you got to do.
There's a plugin "OverpassTile.js" that may help if you have a lot of bridges on your map.
If you have the steam version of MV, it will be in dlc/KadokawaPlugins inside the install directory.

The plugin documentation has this note:
Note: This plugin does not support the collision judgment modification between characters who are in different floors.

What that means is that things ON the bridge and UNDER the bridge can collide and interact as though on the same level. The same thing is true using the event/switch method.
Thanks for mentioning the plugin as I have the Steam version. If it has less impact on the performance, then I'll probably put them back in.

I've kept a copy of my original bridge events, so at least I won't have to go through all that hassle again.

Rather than making another post. I've just tried the plug-in and it works perfectly, and much less complicated. Thanks for letting me know about them. Just wish that they'd made it about more obvious about having all those plugins stashed away in there. I never knew.
Pages: 1