MISAO 2019 RESULTS!

Pages: 1

The year 2019 saw a lot of amazing games come out and a lot of games played. The last few years have had a low count of nominations and votes, so we made a real push to try and get people to do both and it has paid off in the numbers, so great job to everyone there!

I want to give a special shout-out to people like Sooz and LordBlueRouge who made topics and tried to drum up excitement and discussion over the course of the year. LBR, especially, for their wonderful trailers which were a delight to see!

I hope this next year will also be one full of people playing and drumming up interest in each others' games - and that we can continue to discuss and support each other, both old and new, into the coming decade!

But enough blab from me, you're not here to read my shit. XD

Without further ado, here are the official* results for the 2019 Misao awards!

Misao for Best Game Title
The most clever, original, witty, or cool game title of the year.

I Vanquished the Empire as a Kid and Now the Economy is Crap

Misao for Best Game Profile
The raddest presentation and marketing of the game.

Theia - The Crimson Eclipse

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Venaitura

Misao for "Eye Candy" Award
Raddest Graphics & Artwork. An excellent example of art direction and cohesive vision.

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Dead Again

Misao for Summoner of Sounds Award
The best soundtrack and creative use of sound.

Turovero: The Celestial Tower

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Turovero: The Celestial Tower

Misao for Excellence in Narrative
The project you think is most effective at telling its story. Think in terms of its presentation, writing, clarity, cutscene direction, or Shyamalan twists.

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Theia - The Crimson Eclipse

Misao for The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award
The game that displays the most technical prowess and feats of ingenuity in gameplay.

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Pilgrim's Road

Misao for "Lawsuit Waiting To Happen" Award
Best Fan Game/Use of rips

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Final Fantasy VII Regenisis

Misao for The Dark Souls of RMN
The game that delivers the best challenges or coolest puzzles.

Runner Up:

Misao for Punniest Game Alive
Comedic game of the year. Pick the funniest game you played this year, with the best humour and/or the best/worst puns.

Steamed Hams... But it's RPG Maker 2003!

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Abyssal of the Opera

Misao for Trippiest Game
The game that was most strange, bizarre, psychedelic, offbeat, and quirky released this year.

Two Strangers Sat in a Garden

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Two Strangers Sat in a Garden

The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
A game you think needs more recognition for whatever spurious reason

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Where the Moon Goes at Night

Misao for Year of the Owl
Best use of animals/doggos/pets/owls in a game this year.

An Owl in the Night

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Hu'Mon

Misao for Best First Game
For a developer's first game ever.

Grimm's Hollow

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Siam

Misao for Best Event Game
For the best of the event games that came from this year.

Pilgrim's Road

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Pilgrim's Road

Misao for Not Dead Yet Award
Given to the best old game that was finally finished this year.

Villnoire

Runner Up:

Misao for Star Stealing Prince Award
The game that used the best original assets this year.

Grimm's Hollow

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening

Misao for "Everlasting Journey" Award
The game that has the most content to offer.

Runner Up:

Misao for Best Non-English Game
Given to the best translated or non-English game released this year.

Runner Up:

Misao for Most Promising Demo
The demo released this year you think has the most potential to be amazing

Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening

Runner Up:

Liberty's Choice: Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening

Misao for Game of the Year
The absolute best game you played from RMN for the current year.

Runner Up:

Congratulations to the winners and to everyone who had a nomination this year! And to Theia, wow, what a sweep. Also, congratulations to the admins, mods, voters and everyone who made this possible! You rock.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
This year Misao Awards was the bomb, no doubt about it.
So, so, so, so, SO many great games got released and so many people did their best to ensure others would play, support and vote all of these games.

A big congratulations to all the winners and to everyone who got nominated. All of your games look great and I'm proud and happy for all of you. This community just keeps on delivering quality content from fuckin awesome artists.

I'm happy LBR won another Punniest Game Award because Steamed Hams was brilliant. xD
Happy to see Frogge getting that Trippiest Game Award he always longed for.
Happy to see Lavy getting an award for their Owl game which looks very well crafted.
Happy to see Sidewinder winning with Pilgrim's Road because that game looked like something you hardly see on any other 2k3 games.

I didn't have a chance to play games like Grimm's Hollow, but at a first glance and judging by what people are saying about it I'd say we got another amazing game on our hands.

And yo, Little Wing Guy winning a Misao for Villnoire! It deserved it and probably much more. Congrats to you too, man.

And I'm really, really happy to see Lollo sweeping the Misao with Theia.
That's one amazing game, full of content, made with love and care.
Lollo always made amazing games and he is one of the devs that inspires me the most. One of the first games that I saw and played when I started joining online communities, back in 2007, was his Fifth Era (it never got translated, but that's another massive RPG he made back in the days). That game taught me a lot and, together with other classics like The Way or A Blurred Line, made me understand how ""small"" games made by amateurs or one-man-army teams can still deliver some meaningful experiences.

And of course a big cornatag, thanks, hugs and praise goes to Libby, LBR, Sooz and all of the people who did their best to ensure these Misaos kept on rolling and for keeping the community alive and kicking.

You guys rock!
See you next year, hopefully I'll join in too! :P

What can I say, guys? I can't contain my joy! :D
I didn't have the chance to play all the games, but the ones I played were amazing, and seeing Theia on the top of all those categories... well, it makes me very proud of my game! I'm sure this will give quite a boost to my creativity. It's time to roll up my sleeves and keep on making ;D
This year's misaos are a blast!

I'm so glad Villnoire won at least one of them. Congrats, Little Wing Guy :D (I think that game deserved some more, however!)

I did not play Grimm's Hollow yet, dang... Heard so much good about it. I'm definetly going to play this game next!
Congratulations to you as well, ghosthunter!

And now, Theia... Lollo, you deserved that so much! Theia appeared 14 times on the list XD
I really hope this makes you, again, feel like you created a godlike game, 'cause this year's misaos are proof for that :D
Congratulations again!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Congratulations to all winners! Ya did good, kits. Ya did damn good.
Hey, 1 award and 3 runners up, not bad! I'm extra happy to get the Summmoner of Sounds award because I worked super hard on the OST and had a blast with it. :D Thanks a bunch!!

Congrats to Lollo for taking the sweep, I'm glad your hard work paid off! <3
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
My word, Theia swept! But surely it is a testament to how good the game is overall, heheh. Serious congrats to Lavy, Frogge, Unity, and Sidewinder that their games made it, as well as for Mirak's efforts for Venaitura; I am super proud for them.

Congrats as well to the others; I am just biased toward those I name-dropped because I know them (mostly; I did play Sidewinder's game if anything) and congratulate their hard work. And on that note, many thanks to Libby, LBR and Sooz for running the show. <3
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Congrats to everyone! I'm happy to see other games than Theia on the list, although I don't doubt that Theia deserves every award.
I'm really glad to see Pilgrim's road and Villnoire in particular.
unity
You're magical to me.
Congratulations, everyone! So many great games on this list, and I haven't played nearly enough of them! I'll try to fix that this year because these games look amazing! :DDD
Congrats to Theia for it’s success and all the winners! Happy to see a lot of games up there. :) It’s both really surprising but motivating to see my game on this list amongst so many amazing projects, so thank you to the RMN community for the Misaos.

Extra special thanks to Liberty, LordBlueRouge and Sooz for spreading news about and managing the Misaos this year; topic threads that rounded up games throughout the year really helped when it came to finding games to vote for!
Congratulations to the winners!
I playes most of the games that won, and I absolutely agree, I've to find some time to play Villnoire and Iveknec since they looks awesome too!

I'm happy Frogge won with Two Strangers Sat in a Garden since I liked it a lot, and I think it was overlooked. Pilgrim's Road too was pretty great and I hope to find time to make a review.

And congrats to my fellow countryman Lollo, it was a shame that language had been a barrier... since his games were pretty awesome!

author=OldPat
One of the first games that I saw and played when I started joining online communities, back in 2007, was his Fifth Era (it never got translated, but that's another massive RPG he made back in the days). That game taught me a lot and, together with other classics like The Way or A Blurred Line, made me understand how ""small"" games made by amateurs or one-man-army teams can still deliver some meaningful experiences.

That was the game that introduced me to Rmk gaming (and played to the end three times so far). Maybe someday I'll make an effort to translate it but... it's massive, yeah!

Oh and great job LordBlueRouge & Liberty (I agree with most Liberty's Choices too)!
Congratulations, everyone! Thank you for making this community so great. Amazing that games made by a single person can be better than professional games with big budgets and huge teams. Seeing all of the wonderful experiences crafted by members of this community is both humbling and infinitely inspiring.
Congrats to the winners!
I knew people joked, but I never thought it would win.

The best title is the reward least connected to the quality of the game itself, but I'm really glad people were entertained by the title.

Congrats to the other winners as well! Great to see awesome games continuing to come from this community!
Pages: 1