NEED FREE EXPERIENCED MAPPER FOR COMMERCIAL MEDIEVAL RPG MAKER VX ACE GAME.

Pages: 1
I'm making a story-driven RRG game with turned based combat, mini-games, and puzzles. Someone with scripting skills would also be welcomed. I could also use someone to make battlers that match with the default battlers. My game is about 60% done. I imagine it took a few months to complete once I had everything I need. Here is a link to a let's play reviewer testing it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef8Cg32i7XA&t=1013s Where it crashes at the end. Because... of course, it does.
Engine: RPG Maker VX ACE

Synopsis: Life is about choices. Some are rewarding. Some are punishing. And some are life ending. This is the very heart of the Game Dance of The Damned (Which will henceforth be abbreviated as DOTD). A medieval RPG puzzle game that tests memory, reflexes, and problem-solving skills. This game doesn't focus a lot on turn-based combat but is a story driven game. That being said before each battle a character is given a new combat skill to help them win. But these fights are no pushover. Even the first one can end badly if you are not paying attention. Sometimes even before the battle can begin. There are also knowledge skills that can help solve problems. The story's core revolves around four distinct characters. A group of outcasts banded together through happenstance and necessity. Drawn to the siren's call of a cursed mansion. But in order for them to embark on that harrowing journey within, they must first survive the town surrounding it. DOTD comes with its own gathering and crafting system. Along with a Quest Log, lighting system, and Trailblazing skills. Trailblazing skills allow characters to overcome physical obstacles on the map.

MY ROLE: I will be the head writer, lead game designer, and overall head honcho of the project.

Positions/Roles Needed: I'm looking for a great mapper that can help bring this world to life. To bring forth the horror, mystery, and claustrophobia feeling of being trapped in an unforgiving mansion. Where monsters and ghosts roam the halls waiting to be released upon unexpecting 'Champions'. I'll also need a pixel artist to create the various items needed to solve the puzzles of the Mansions. Ones that match with the default items of the game. I am open to other positions that can also make DOTD better and appreciate any advice.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The game in question has existed since 2016, and you asked for assistance back then, too. I haven't checked the video to compare it's content with the gamepage, so, I can't speak to how much has improved since then. However, this call for help seems to say both "Do the work for me!" and "I'll pay you in exposure!" to me.

Not that there aren't users that assist others for free from time-to-time. I admit, I am among such users. It's also true that I volunteer my time and skills for people I generally recognize/respect. You seem to pop up every two years or so, looking for help with your game, and make no other interaction with the community. Perhaps the help you seek here would have a greater response if you interacted more?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Wow, that thread almost reads the same as this one.
I have made lots of changes and lots of progress. But there are some things I am terrible at. I already paid someone to write a script for me and it still doesn't work right. I'm not sure what interaction I'm supposed to make when I have nothing to really offer. I'm kind of Technically Challenged. I tried taking an online beginner test to learn Ruby and got stuck 6 questions in. I tried writing game reviews and a game creator called me hyper-sensitive because I brought up that maybe he should stop fat-shaming the obese kid in his game. Like the fat kid had to run for 5 whole seconds and now he is out of breath. Or his dinner plate has more food then my entire family eats. Or he falls on the ground and the screen shakes, etc. I could offer story-writing talents but my spelling is terrible and my grammar is non-existent. So they would then need someone else to proofread all that.
Marrend
As for interacting, well, how about joining an event? There's a topic here about potentially teaming up with other site members for a future event. Even if that kind of event isn't your thing, there may be an event in the future that you can get involved in. As for your experience with reviewing, it might not have been a great one. However, if you let something like that dishearten you to the point of not wanting to do it again, there's only so much I can do/say.

That aside, if you say you have nothing to offer, that puts into question a few things. Or, I could be reading that statement too literally for my own good?
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

When you make a game you usually need to do it on your own, unless your willing to pay someone money. If there's a feature that's too difficult for you to implement into your game, you're likely being to ambitious. You really need to be able to do everything by yourself in most cases.

Marrend suggested getting involved with community events. While that can sometimes turn out to be good, they can equally turn out to be negative and disheartening experiences as well (Just a word of caution on that.)
MY ROLE: I will be the head writer, lead game designer, and overall head honcho of the project.

This paired with a lot of the "I'm not sure if I can do this or if the game will sell" aspects of this thread doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, especially since you're asking people to work for exposure.

Unfortunately yes, you do need to be able to do many of these things on your own or at least have a fundamental understanding of them. A good project manager knows and understands how to get their team to achieve the results they want. That's the difference between a Project Manager and an Ideas Guy.

Don't be an Ideas Guy.

You really might want to reconsider commercial game development for the time being and tackle it again when you've got a better grip on this. Join some jams and events and make yourself known.
Dude, just ask yourself that will you work for free? Especially for commercial project and you got nothing return. Come on, you know the answer.
author=Tar-sama
Dude, just ask yourself that will you work for free? Especially for commercial project and you got nothing return. Come on, you know the answer.

I had people working for free. They refunded any kind of payment. I have also offered free resources and asked for nothing in return. So yes I do know the answer.
Marrend
I feel it's irresponsible at best to think that people will work for free on a project that is commercial. Besides, you still had to offer that money, even if it was refunded to you later on. There is also an implication that you hired people that did not return their commission. In this respect, I don't quite see the expectation to get people on the project for free.
As an experienced mapper, I would like something for my time that isn't 'exposure'. I can expose myself just fine*. Money or something to make up for the time and effort I expended is what's needed.

Like, you know that little dev team who made OneShot? Those guys? They hired me to remake the whole game worth of maps in RMXP. They gave me the materials, the original game to remake off and paid me over $1000 to do so.

You know what happened? They ended up not using a single one of my maps because they decided to remake the entire game. They still paid me for the time and effort spent remaking every single map, though, even though they didn't use anything I'd touched.

They hadn't sold the game at that point, they weren't moving units. They knew what a persons' worth was, though, and they paid for it.

That's what you should be doing. Finding a way to pay for someone's time and effort. You've had years to save up something to hire a mapper - this isn't the first thread you made.

The fact of the matter is this - you're going to get what you paid for and you're offering to pay nothing so you're going to get nothing. Or something that is really shitty. Either/or.

*that came out wrong
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=Liberty
I can expose myself just fine*.

I have a private message box for that sort of thing :)
Everyone here is right. Working for "exposure" is absolute BS. No one should do it, no one should expect other people to do it. I feel a little bad dogpiling on here but not bad enough to keep from doing it because like most creatives, I've been burned by this and am therefore passionate about it. Also, I literally just joined this site so I am not RMN. Like, no matter what, if I throw my opinion on top of the pile, you can't manage to delude yourself into walking away from this experience with the takeaway that "RMN" is mean because I am not RMN, of RMN, or from RMN.

Frankly, the problem with this thread is super evident from the title. You want someone to work FOR FREE on your COMMERCIAL game? That is, at face value, INSANE. Would you work FOR FREE on someone else's COMMERCIAL game? Of course you wouldn't. You're not a crazy person. So where do you get off asking that? And then the stipulation that they have experience? I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous, it takes this whole thing into Poe's law territory. Why on EARTH would someone who's an EXPERIENCED mapper want to work FOR FREE on your game when they could be either getting PAID for their experience, like Liberty said, or applying said experience to their OWN game.

Finally, you know what, using the word "need" is also inappropriate. I NEED to breathe air. The world NEEDS a cure/treatment for COVID-19. My cat NEEDS his cat food. You don't NEED an experienced mapper to work for free on your COMMERCIAL game, you want one, and you won't get one because it is not a reasonable thing to want.

Also I'm sorry but your excuses make no sense. You don't need a technical mind or any level of proficiency in any kind of coding language to operate the RPG Maker map editor and database. I mean, that is LITERALLY why I chose this engine for my game!

I could go on--frankly, you could be offering a 50% revenue share on the back end and 99% of mappers would still, rightly, pass on this, because you know what, THEY don't know if the game will make any money either, and half of nothing is still nothing--but instead, from my very favorite curmudgeon, here's my favorite rebuttal to the idea of "paying in exposure/publicity":

Honestly, he covers every way this idea is terrible for creatives faster than I could, and with slightly less cursing.

EDIT: sorry but this is really bothering me like...do you like NOT UNDERSTAND the purpose of watermarks!? It is so you DO NOT USE that image/document as-is.
Boy, I sure do hope OP is a misguided teenager and not an adult... because wow...
you can delete this post. I found someone.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Poor whoever.
Pages: 1