[SUGGESTION] GAMES WITHOUT A DOWNLOAD BUTTON

Pages: 1
Hi,

I've been a casual user of RMN some years ago and I never cared too much about games that didn't have a download : what I did look for was downloadable content. As such, I used your searching tool, which helped to take away unwanted features.

Today, I dedicate some of my free time to save some games on my hard drive, in a way that I can compare content with the Lost Games topic.
It happens that a small part of these games have a demo/download, but the developper never submitted it for the main download (or it got deleted, but it's a different case). It somewhat feels like those games were lost before even existing.

A clear example : Ebon Scape

I don't really want to go back on the RM2000 Game's List (no Steam version) to list the one or two games without a download, but I can put up a small list of what I find for the next times, if someone is interested to edit games pages.

On a totally different matter, I'm wondering why so many game pages of the site are dead links ? (Too much content ? Not enough updates ?)
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I'm not understanding what the topic is about, or what the suggestion is.
If the suggestion is for you to do the list you mention, that would be most welcome! Feel free to submit the list as an article to the site!

In the case of games not having a main download or having the download button hidden, that could be deliberate by the author. I've done it twice. Like here.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Sometimes you just don't deserve the games
Mirak : In the example you posted, even if it's not shown in the headpage, your game is actually in the download section, meaning that it's actually seen when using the search tool. The idea was to do a list, yes.

Sooz : I'm afraid I don't understand the exact meaning of that one. If you post a download for your game, wouldn't you want for people to play it ?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
If you want to play a game, you have to EARN it. Impress the dev. Record yourself doing a backflip and send it to them. Only then can you prove your worthiness.
Okay, maybe something wasn't clear with what I stated in the main post... (I didn't think my english was that bad ^^')
I'll revert to my clown state when the time comes, but for the moment, I'll stick to the help state.

If I find others, they will be put here.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I thought you might be talking about browser games.
I found a game page for one on RMN.
Even though the game is complete and you can play it, you can't review the game.
On RMN ? I never saw one, I guess.
It doesn't work for Ebon Scape (though it doesn't have a main download), but here is a picture of what I mean :

There is a download available, but not in the download section, making it not to be seen when using the Filter Tool.

Sorry for not being very clear.
I'm going to assume you mean you wish you could upload missing download files to existing RMN pages when the creator is not available to reupload? The main way right now would probably be to just upload a build in the comment section, posting in the missing games topic applies to existing RMN pages as well so post there as well.
you mean you wish you could upload
Not exactly me, but I was just warning that some of the games here can be underseen because they are not uploaded correctly. A moderator or someone with those rights could eventually add them.

The Only topic I really know by heart is that one, the rest is a maze to me.

posting in the missing games topic applies to existing RMN pages as well so post there as well.
If we are talking about this topic just above, I might just do that while I update the two main lists (though the games are not really missing).

Thanks for the answers anyway.
The issue with putting up games that are missing is that there may be a reason that the dev pulled the game in the first place - whether it be because they looked back on it and hated it, that they got upset over reviews/posts about it, that they no longer want to share it or any other reason.

If they already have a game page, then they have power over it and should be allowed to choose whether they want their game there or not.

I do recommend trying to contact the developers' in question and offer them the downloads. It may be that they lost them. You could ask for a reupload from them. That might work out in your favour.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I did have a dev once contact me and ask if I had a download of their game because they lsot it, so it does happen.
having gone thru the entire database i can tell u this site has LOADS of deleted games.
The issue with putting up games that are missing is that there may be a reason that the dev pulled the game in the first place

Actually, they are not missing since a download is available on the game description/blog (just not in the download button). I don't know if the developpers would be okay to move their download link to the download button, but it would make some sense (it's doner for that, after all, besides evaluating a game's total downloads). I'm not talking about lost games, else, there would be a lot more to list here (deleted for commercial purposes, broken link, deleted for reworking/because shame or forgot...).

The games I found so far :
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
If the issue is about downloads that exist only as links on the gamepage, that's still the developer's decision to do that. There could be reasons why a developer chooses not to use the option to attribute an RMN download to an external URL, as opposed to using RMN's server.

It's certainly within the realm of possibility that they simply don't know what options exist on this site. That because adding a download is not available when making a gamepage, they assume it's not ever possible to do so. When, in fact, the availability of adding a download comes after a gamepage is accepted.

The best one can do on this front is educate developers as to their options, so that they can make the choice that works best for them.
Ok, I understand better how the submission works. I think at least one of them is intentional (Ghost World). I don't know for Ebon Scape.
Mario and Luigi is a bit different : the download is actually in the download section, but it doesn't appear as downloadable with the filter tool (the button was deleted from the header, it might be linked ?).
Pages: 1