YOU GUYS OK WITH THE CORONA VIRUS/COVID19?

https://www.saltwire.com/salt/gap-in-nova-scotia-eviction-ban-could-leave-tenants-vulnerable-during-covid-19-pandemic-427504/

My provincial government is putting a freeze on student loans and evictions. Though the eviction one is suspect since the legality pertains to "affected by COVID-19". Which sounds like grounds for an dispute to me if it's a combination of things affecting your living. Also you still owe 3x the rent even after the ban is up, so it doesn't really do shit other than not leaving people homeless while it's still cold.

The situation is probably better than most places in the world, but just sharing.
People should hear what Bernie Sanders has to say about this crisis.
He talks about plans that could help Americans and also he warns us that Republicans are not doing enough right now. Later on he also has a guest speaker talk about how the crisis is effecting restaurant workers in America who were already in trouble due to the fact that our country allows companies to pay restaurant workers practically nothing.
The following video is much shorter than it appears. It was a live stream so you can skip a lot of the fluff like the music sections.

All Bernie "has to say about this crisis" is a bunch of heroic feats he would totally accomplish if he were in charge and not the other guy. Just another politician.

Speaking of which, why is he still campaigning? The DNC has already decided that Biden will be their guy. He's going to get shafted just like he did in 2016.
He's actually contributing his funds to help with the COVID-19 effort though: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/bernie-coronavirus-fundraising?refcode=tw190319

Raised about 2 million for the relief effort, so you're wrong about him just being another politician.
heh.
What you meant to say is : He's contributing other people's funds to help with the Coronavirus effort. That's something any of us can do with a GoFundMe. Solicit donations -> Give to charity. He has a huge following so he'll have more success than you or I, but still.
So nope. Just another politician.
So Australian Gov is looking at giving an extra $500 per fortnight for some low-income people, in addition to the $750 stimulus package they've already confirmed.

Sure, we're not doing everything right, but at least they're trying to help offset the issues this will cause.

Dyhalto, none of the others are even bothering. That he's doing ANYTHING is more than enough for most people who want to see those in power doing SOMETHING to help out. If you're running for presidency, his little amounts at least show he's willing to DO something as opposed to his rivals in the race who are doing NOTHING, not even giving of their own campaign funds.

So, yeah. Until someone else decides to do something, maybe stop disparaging the only one who is BOTHERING? It makes you come off as blindingly biased.

That said, this is a thread about talking about Coronavirus, not about whether you hate Bernie or not or your personal political love/hate boners. Keep your party biases out of the discussion everyone, please.
There's been a lot of panic buying in my area, but from what I'm hearing that seems pretty normal. So far my job's safe and my life hasn't really been affected all that much.

Some of my friends weren't so lucky, though. One thinks she might have been infected and is waiting on some tests, and another is out of work and almost completely broke.
From what I saw being reported on twitter today, apparently lots of hospitals are lying about Coronavirus deaths and are instead reporting them as H1N1?
Quite worrisome. I really don't think we're quite ready to take the blow.
That being said I've decided to use this time in quarantine to teach art one on one. Hopefully that can be of use. (btw if anyone's interested on 1 on 1 classes, art counseling etc. just hmu inbox or on twitter :) )

need to facetime grandma tomorrow, check up on her. y'all should remember to take good care of your elderly, too. this situation is a mess.

The fact they're talking 12-18 MONTHS of quarantine makes me think this is going to be some of the densest months in human history since, I don't know, the world wars? the industrial revolution?
I am from Austria. Corona virus is getting worse here day by day. Keep you and yourself secure. Just stay at home please
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I didn't think this would be how society ended, but here we are, one week after all unnecessary human contact was permanently banned, and governments worldwide made public assembly illegal forever.
AkarithePeanut
A lazy teenager's spirit in a mid 20 adult's body
author=Sidewinder
Some of my friends weren't so lucky, though. One thinks she might have been infected and is waiting on some tests, and another is out of work and almost completely broke.

author=JosephSeraph
The fact they're talking 12-18 MONTHS of quarantine makes me think this is going to be some of the densest months in human history since, I don't know, the world wars? the industrial revolution?

author=LockeZ
I didn't think this would be how society ended, but here we are, one week after all unnecessary human contact was permanently banned, and governments worldwide made public assembly illegal forever.

Really worried about that. If this prolongs, many people just can´t hold on that much without concrete and steady goverment help. Society crumbling or internal strife is a possibility I believe
The one upside of this is what this is going to do to all of the other communicable diseases.

If we're all restricting movement because of COVID-19, that means that the flu, the common cold, and many others aren't going to be able to find new hosts, either.

Or maybe this might be bad, in the long run? Will it pave the way for new zoonoses to make explosive entrances? I wonder where things like whooping cough and chicken pox initially came from.
So...even with new social distancing rules in Canada that can be punishable by fines - or even jail time - for businesses and large groups of people who don’t happen to comply with the new rules, it’s maddening to go out for a walk (by myself, of course) and still see large groups of people play full blown soccer games, basketball, or even cricket in the park without a care in the world... Heck, there’s even some people bringing their kids to the playgrounds still, touching, and riding the various equipment there and playing with other kids, and it’s like, “Do you guys even know what’s going on with all of the news and all that around here lately?” It’s insane!

Luckily, though, the playgrounds have recently just been taped off (not completely dismantled), and they’ve either locked up access to some of the sports fields, or just removed things entirely, such as the hockey and the lacrosse nets and the basketball hoops. And although I’ll personally miss playing basketball in the park for…at least a little while, if it happens to prevent someone from getting CoVid19 and possibly save lives (including my own), then I’m down for that. Besides, I can still work out here at home if push comes to shove, as we have a spin bike, rowing machine, weights…and many other do-dads.

And I’ve also noticed (and maybe it’s just me and the area that I live in) that people seem more… nicer and more pleasant than before, I dunno. Really, the only rude person that I’ve encountered thus far since the CoVid19 thing was this one impatient guy at the grocery store who didn’t wanna go in the long lineup that they had (because they had to check every single customer to see if they’re following the rules about how much of one particular item that you’re allowed to buy, along with making sure there’s not too many individuals crowded together at one single checkout for social distancing purposes) and he tried to cut in front of me and when I reminded him that the line was over there, he just told me to “Shut the bleep up and mind your own f’in business,” or whatever. After a bit of a shouting match, one of the security guards noticed the whole thing and told the individual to behave himself and be patient and wait in line like the rest of us but he just stormed off and said that this was “BS”, or something, and just left, lol.

Toilet Paper is still a b**ch to find, though. Even if you decide to go to the grocery store early in the morning, you ain’t finding it out in the wild (for at least a little while). But at least I can find and get some bread, pasta, ground chicken and turkey meat now that I couldn’t find before. It seems like some of the panic buying has died down a little bit here, so you can find still plenty of things in the grocery store now no problems, regardless of what time you go.

author=LockeZ

Oh, come on now, LockeZ – it’s not gonna be like that forever! Sooner or later we’ll be able to congregate again. (Although I can’t blame some people who think that there’s some secretive motive going on behind the scenes that they ain’t telling us.)

author=AkarithePeanut
If this prolongs, many people just can´t hold on that much without concrete and steady goverment help. Society crumbling or internal strife is a possibility I believe

Yeah, that’s the only thing that I’m worried about is how long can various governments (if any) are going to be able to provide relief for people that can’t work or find a job because of CoVid19 and how are they going to be able to pay it back? Canada’s trying to approve an 82 Billion Dollar relief plan right now (which is INSANE for this country) and just how are they planning to pay off that when CoVid19 either gets cured or slows down immensely in the future, raising taxes??? I mean, I can’t blame the government for doing for they have to do right now at this current time, but the fall-out from this is going to hurt a lot of pocket books when it comes time to paying that huge debt off in the future (if we even can).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you think the government is going to give back the rights they took away for "emergency protocols," you need to rewatch Star Wars.

Also, if you think the coronavirus itself will ever actually end, or that the quarantine will help in any way, you're far more optimistic than me. I'm convinced that everybody on the planet who's not naturally immune is going to get the virus. This utter destruction of human society is just delaying it by a month or two and wrecking our whole civilization in the process.

IMO, people need to move on from the bargaining phase to the acceptance phase of grief, and go back to living their normal lives already.

Edit: I'm being kind of absurdly cynical about this whole thing because it's put me in a pissy mood for the last week. Ignore me and you'll stay a lot more sane.
Thank god that Star Wars is nothing but fiction, right? (Or did all of that stuff ACTUALLY happen a long time ago and George Lucas was secretly Jar Jar Binks but in disguise? Oh boy.)

And at least one positive that you can take out of this LockeZ is that if you’re right about the whole thing and this is, indeed, the end of days, you can be that crazy guy on top of the mountain of trash and just laugh at everybody below with your giant stick and say, “I TOLD YOU ALL THAT THIS WAS THE END OF DAYS! But did you all heed my warning!? No!!! You all had to be ‘optimistic’ and ‘cheery’ about the whole thing... But now who’s laughing!?!?!?”

“Um…anybody here got any loose batteries, by the way? I wanna play Final Fantasy VI: Advance on my Game Boy Advance one more time before the world ultimately ends. It's a fitting end for a such a pointless life.”
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
LockeZ
Also, if you think the coronavirus itself will ever actually end, or that the quarantine will help in any way, you're far more optimistic than me.

Just to illustrate this point, The Swine Flu pandemic (2011) is the H1N1 strain of influenza. Do you know what else was? The Spanish Flu pandemic (1918).
Yeah, we acted too slowly. Because no one is committed to sealing off huamn movements the world over, simultaneously, for one month, a new infection will always be carrying it into the future. As a result, we will now have to deal with "Influenza Deluxe" for the rest of human history.

One month! All the world needs is one month to starve it, but, we're too impatient as a civiization.

All we need now is a virus that has:

A. A one month incubation rate
B. A 50% mortality rate
C. Increased resistance to heat thanks to global warming, defanging fevers as an effective weapon
D. Aerosol spread

That will be some real carnage.
I mean, COVID-19 comes close to ticking off a lot of those boxes. Mortality rate is around 13% right now, for resolved cases that we know of. Which is insanely high. And there's a guy in Canada in quarantine for 3+ weeks now who tested positive and is asymptomatic (so far).
LockeZ
author=Addit
Thank god that Star Wars is nothing but fiction, right? (Or did all of that stuff ACTUALLY happen a long time ago and George Lucas was secretly Jar Jar Binks but in disguise? Oh boy.)
Well, the story of how Julius Caesar overthrew the Roman senate isn't quite the same as Palpatine overthrew the Republic senate, but they're both about equally analogous to the current situation with the coronavirus. The government gave Julius Caesar a bunch of power because he was the best at what they needed to get done, and then afterwards they asked him to give it up, and he didn't.

In this analogy, the twitter fuckheads demanding that people be locked in their houses by the government are the senate, and the various world governments are all Julius Palpatine.
Fortunately (?) for us, the vast majority of COVID-19 cases go unreported (how do you even know if you have it if you don't get tested?). Here in most of the States, if you have the stereotypical COVID-19 symptoms of dry cough, fever, and aches/pains, you don't get tested, you just assume that you have it and self-quarantine. This keeps the case number total down (guess why... aside from a shortage of tests).

This probably keeps the real death rate around 1-2%, which I still think is unacceptable for a massively-communicated disease, but. No one took it seriously until too late.

It's sad, because we don't need another thing waiting for us, ready to take us out once we age up into the 8-15% death rate bracket. If we even make it that far.

The only thing I don't envy about Canada now are the car insurance rates.