YOU GUYS OK WITH THE CORONA VIRUS/COVID19?

If stuff like that does one thing, it's putting everyone in the same boat. Also exchange is nice. I didn't know how everyone else was handling it. All the best to y'all~
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I'm in Czechia, we got state of emergency and the government is exploiting it a little while issuing more and more restrictions (you can't leave your home without your faced covered now) and more importantly acting harmfully long-term using it to promote their neo-liberal agenda and bashing on carbon neutrality plan EU issued. They even used it to promote coal mining.
Here in the UK, things are in a bit of a strange spot.

We were slow to react to it initially, and peoples' response was measured. In some ways this was good; we certainly didn't have any panic, which might've caused more problems. However, the shops have quickly sold out of many essentials and most foods with a long shelf-life, and nowhere has hand-sanitiser (on my way into work today, I saw signs on all the shops saying they've run out).

My workplace, like many, is organising having the staff work from home; about three-quarters of us already are. I may be, soon - but I live very close to my office and I can walk to-and-fro, so I may "self-isolate" by actually going to work and back.

Naturally, people are worried about the economic implications too. People are being laid off and many businesses are "temporarily" closing; some are worried that they won't still be around to re-open when all of this has passed.
Northeastern US, in one of the states with the strictest measures.

But I'm in a rural-ish area of the state and it doesn't seem quite as bad as urban areas. People are still going outside, going to parks, etc. Albeit in fewer numbers.

Panic-buying is everywhere regardless. You won't find any toilet paper or cleaning supplies anytime soon. But food is still readily available where I am. Though, oddly, people seem to be snatching up perishables, milk, meat, and other things that would be useless long-term during a disaster. There's still plenty of canned goods and the like.

However, my job is 30 minutes away in an urban tourist trap and that is currently a ghost town. Said job is also in a public building which is closed until further notice, so here I am gamedeving (when I can look away from all this for more than two minutes and find the motivation).
I work at a Walmart in southern Indiana.

Indiana, the last of all states to adopt (through legal requirements) the ability to sell/purchase alcohol on Sundays.

I am totally going to die.
unity
You're magical to me.
I'm Sooz's roommate so I'll let her post stand for me too XD

author=Sgt M
Panic-buying is everywhere regardless. You won't find any toilet paper or cleaning supplies anytime soon. But food is still readily available where I am. Though, oddly, people seem to be snatching up perishables, milk, meat, and other things that would be useless long-term during a disaster. There's still plenty of canned goods and the like.

Yeah I've also noticed this. People are very prone to panic-buy but they seem to almost always do it dumbly.

author=Illy

Indiana, the last of all states to adopt (through legal requirements) the ability to sell/purchase alcohol on Sundays.

;_; I'm sorry to hear that, I hope things go as well as they can go
I've never heard of the concept of banning alcohol on Sundays, that sounds so alien to me

Updates on São Paulo, Brazil: Starting tomorrow, they're finally going to close access to non-essential stuff and especially FINALLY banning access to the goddamn beach
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
If I were Brazilian, I would immediately die without beach. Tbh,
I think I've already gained some weight because of the restrictions.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Here in the US (or at least in my area) it isn't so great. Panic buying is pretty common, since I went to the grocery store yesterday and saw many aisles cleaned out. Oddly enough, I saw more canned foods than perishables, so either canned foods are in much greater supply, or nobody knows how to use a can opener.

Luckily, I'm a programmer, so I've been working from home all week with no scheduled day to return to the office. The weirdest thing about this outbreak is that my apartment complex is dead silent. The only time I see a human face is when I go to the store. Beyond that, I could swear I'm the only human in this entire building. Give it another week and I might start to think you all are figments of my imagination.

author=Illy

author=J-Man
I'm one of the few lucky pricks who have to still work amid the suspension of stores, restaurants, gatherings, etc. The joys of working at the Real Canadian Superstore. = v =;;;;

author=Zachary_Braun
I work at a grocery store, so I'm not left wanting for work (or exposure...).

Take care of yourselves. Y'all are the real MVPs here.
Interesting to read each country´s perspective. Even if less notorious, I will share what´s happening in my country right now.

Venezuela.

Nothing happened at first, but then the COVID started to spread rather quick. The government acted as quick, I must say -- measures were taken in real time. Just as @Cap_H´s country, mine would put a lot of restrictions, included that of walking in the streets only with your face covered. This shows how scared the government is about the possible outcome of this pandemy:

I work at an outsourcing company that works for clinics and DME (Durable Medical Equipment) providers in USA, more precisely in California. As healthcare providers, we are still open. Not only that, but I treat with patients with ages ranging from 40~70, basically the most vulnerable population speaking about COVID-19. We still have to assist to the office because we cannot work from our homes (we have phones that call directly to the USA, otherwise impossible with our internet connection speed). Luckily, every security measure has been taken.

When I take the ride to the job (no public transport) everything´s barren. You only see few cars. There´s no gasoline. Here, in Venezuela, there´s no gasoline. The oil producer country--no gasoline. We import the gasoline. Ironic. And this whole pandemy situation has only restricted it further--only police, telecoms and medical personnel can get access to it, and even then it´s quite limited.

I earn 100$ a month. I´m privileged among the people who earns minimum wage, and that is the vast majority. Minimum wage is 6$ last time I checked. 6$ monthly. How is someone able to live with 6$ a month? Go figure--they don´t. I struggle with goddamn 100$. The point of this is that many people, for obvious reasons, has stopped working. If they do not work, they do not earn money. What is to happen in such case?

And that´s what I mentioned early. A social outbreak. The gov is trying their hardest to stop the virus from spreading, and to contain it as much as possible. In less than a week, however, there has been 36 cases (last time I checked). As I write this, they´ve just confirmed one more in my city.

That said, the numbers are untrue. The official numbers must be high. They censor the real information, so we do not get to know what is the truth and what isn´t. In the meanwhile, I can only do but one thing: live in my weird bubble of normal-abnormality, and carry on, and work.

Take care all of you guys! Wash your hands, practice social distancing and quarantine yourselves. We´re hoping this doesn´t escalate to something much worse.
Joseph seraph: people ARE stockpiling toilet paper for ???whatever??? reason (read: they read people are doing it so they feel like they should do it too)

Yes, here in Sweden it`s almost impossible now to find toilet-paper for resonable price. Where the usual paper is there is just empty. Strange, i was thinking that it was only in Sweden.
Update from Sweden is:11 deaths and more than 130(known!, we don`t test all sorts of people) cases more than yesterday and we are a pretty small country, it is going fast here now..
And i`m working in a secondhand/antique store and there`s not much customer.
A strange thing here in Sweden is that a lot (many)lay assessor is home from work and the trials can`t been doing so the suspects releases from the arrest(where you are before you`re going to jail). We, yeah the whole world will see strange things happen.
But don`t panic, do what you can to wash your hands and so, and follow your lands order. Take care of the older and these with health-problems that makes Covid-19 more dangerous and help them shop for example(even if you don`t know them) so they can be inside.
AkarithePeanut
A lazy teenager's spirit in a mid 20 adult's body
Heeeeeey, does anyone actually knows personally an infected person? how´s their experience?

SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The most stupid things is that the World Health Organization cannot have any formal communication with Taiwan over any of its cases (ie. Because China says its part of them.) There was actually an incident where China reported how many cases were in Taiwan and the information was not correct (this is because the 2 governments don't cooperate in any issue.)
author=AkarithePeanut
Heeeeeey, does anyone actually knows personally an infected person? how´s their experience?

A friend of mine is a nurse at the nearby hospital and was infected then quarantined at home. He had no symptoms and he's well but I guess it's because he's a 40y/o healthy person. Older people had a hard time, especially if they suffer of other conditions. He currently is at home and they bring him food at the doorstep, but he is ok, we write each other every few days.
Well most of Massachusetts's cases of Corono I believe are in Boston. So far my city has no reports of Corono but non essential stores are being closed from what I understand.
A Massachusetts Congressman is proposing giving thousands of dollars to individual Americans in response to the corona virus pandemic. Rep. Joe Kennedy said at a news conference that the government should give $4,000 immediately to adults who make under $100,000 a year.
author=RedMask
Rep. Joe Kennedy said at a news conference that the government should give $4,000 immediately to adults who make under $100,000 a year.

Wow. Meanwhile nobody at home is able to work (other than me), electricity is due and I haven't read anywhere that they're even staving off cutting electricity services in here :( (well, they're considering freezing that in two states only, and one of them is really just about the water bill)

well, what we can do, it's not like our personal family life hasn't been a combo of bad shit since early 2019, we can get through this... but it certainly would be a blessing if the government would take some measures to make sure its population can remain functional. Like freezing my debt that goes at 14% per month so I can delay payment for one month and just buy more food and essentials for my family @_@

can you count on it though? SO MANY families depend on that income and constantly live on edge. On my family, we're ALWAYS one month behind with the electricity bill. As in, we pay it "every" month (sometimes we skip, they cut it, and we pay everything at once with a loan or something) , but it's the previous one that we pay. I know SO many families like that. It's terrible, it's bad education and bad planning, but we -- and so many others -- are stuck deep within this cycle and while it certainly kind of works, come the first shit like this and of course it falls apart, especially in a country with as big of an informal workforce as in Brazil.

Also, my mother is a tattoo artist. Not hard to figure she's got absolutely no clients whatsoever (but still has to pay rent for her tattoo shop...)
author=Cap_H
If I were Brazilian, I would immediately die without beach. Tbh,
I think I've already gained some weight because of the restrictions.

Time to come up with a body weight home workout program! 3 week long quarantine plan to flatten the curve - of your belly!

Also, beginning Monday, I shall too be working from home. Hero's Realm remaster for 2020 confirmed
I should note that none of us Americans have received a relief check from the government yet. This is all just proposals and we probably won't get $4000 it might be as low as $1000. Actually its very possible that my country's congress wont send any money to the people because most of our politicians are f*cking idiots. But we'll see what happens.

Sorry to hear about your situation in Brazil it sounds really bad. I hope Brazil can get a new President. I keep hearing about him letting the rainforest get destroyed and now it seems he's messing up this virus situation as well.
I mean yeah!! It's infuriating. The relief fund would be nice for you guys (and for everyone really) but the bare minimum is congealing interest rates and essential service bills for the duration of the quarantine, because if someone's power gets cut and they have to get out of home that's... bad, and that also costs money for the government.... And yeah, I'm really looking forward to whatever looms over the dark cloud that is this government era in our country, but considering people are going to the streets in support of the president in the middle of a PANDEMIC, it's kinda hopeless... uhm, anyway.

But yeah, let's hope for the best, everywhere.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Relief check? I thought that was a myth, like dragons or unicorns. You know, something the U. S. government says just to shut up people who are in desperate situations.