YOU GUYS OK WITH THE CORONA VIRUS/COVID19?

Pages: first prev 1234 last
I guess the toilet paper craze is winding down. I went to my grocer last Saturday evening and there were pyramids of it stacked in the middle of aisles and bunched up against the Starbucks kiosk.

author=Addit
Canada’s trying to approve an 82 Billion Dollar relief plan right now (which is INSANE for this country) and just how are they planning to pay off that when CoVid19 either gets cured or slows down immensely in the future, raising taxes???

I wouldn't worry too much about the expense of relief bills. Currencies float freely in value against one another. If literally everybody on earth does a relief package, then everybody's expenses will rise in relative lockstep. Obviously there'll be size differences between, say, a US relief package and a Malta relief package, but that's the idea. The biggest downside will be a sudden increase in inflation without a corresponding rise in wages.
Well... the biggest downside would be uncontrolled hyperinflation, but I can't see us going there.

I'm more worried about the precedent of mass shutdowns, quarantines, and bailouts every time there's a "crisis". The coronavirus is a big deal, no doubt, but we have breakouts every year or two, and epidemics roughly every ten. If the relief packages prove a little too lucrative, will this become a going concern in years to come?
Probably not, but this is the stuff I think about at night.
How'd I miss this thread?

I'm doing ok. Working from home, bought enough groceries on Monday to last me at least another 4 weeks without setting foot outside, I'm gonna be alright.

Also, in a shocking twist, the Quebec government actually has its head on straight about this crisis. I never would have expected it of the people we have running this province right now.

author=Addit
Canada’s trying to approve an 82 Billion Dollar relief plan right now (which is INSANE for this country) and just how are they planning to pay off that when CoVid19 either gets cured or slows down immensely in the future, raising taxes???

We'll figure that out. As Dyhalto said, currency these days is pretty freeform. I'm not suuuper worried. (Also a modest tax increase on large businesses, maybe with an exception if you hire a lot of permanent people would do it)

author=Dyhalto
I'm more worried about the precedent of mass shutdowns, quarantines, and bailouts every time there's a "crisis". The coronavirus is a big deal, no doubt, but we have breakouts every year or two, and epidemics roughly every ten. If the relief packages prove a little too lucrative, will this become a going concern in years to come?

Considering the damage this did to the world economy, I'm not worried about these measures becoming commonplace. And hopefully we'll be better prepared next time so such wild measures aren't needed.
IDK if this would be considered self-promotion or anything, but since people seemed to like my newest game's music (still don't know how it won that Misao!), I made a small remix single available for a $3 minimum donation to Direct Relief, which is getting PPE to healthcare workers in need of it. If anyone wants some tunes in exchange for their charity, you can check out a preview and see how to donate here!

The site doesn't accept donations larger than $10, which is why the instructions are a little convoluted. Sorry about that!
Toilet paper is back! At least where I live.

Looks like my mom had gotten Corona, as well as my fiance (probably). Both recovered and are doing well, tho my mom is definitely feeling the after shock.
Testing's not too available tho, so no official data. (only a frustrating call with my mom having like ALL the common symptoms and being told it's totes not worth testing).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well if she's recovered, then then the good news is she's immune now, right? Pretty sure that's how antibodies work. So once she's past the contagious phase, she can stop staying at home. Not sure how long that lasts though.

author=Aegix_Drakan
author=Dyhalto
Considering the damage this did to the world economy, I'm not worried about these measures becoming commonplace. And hopefully we'll be better prepared next time so such wild measures aren't needed.

I actually now think that this is going to last so long that people are just going to get used to the quarantine and start pressuring the government to pass all the stay-at-home orders into permanent law, because there are illnesses almost as bad as COVID-19 all the time and "it's better to be safe." The rich people in power benefit from the economy collapsing; wealth is all relative, so as long as the poor people lose proportionally more than the rich people do, they're coming out way ahead. And that definitely seems to be the case, since everyone is basically just losing six months of income, so it's the people without savings accounts that are suffering.
Nah, LockeZ. I think this thing may draw to a close in the near'ish future, and we'll be looking back on it the same way we remember the West Nile panic, when everyone thought mosquitos were going to spread the doomsday plague.

Some positive news!
In Italy, they did a blood drive and found that 70% of donors were infected with the virus, but had no idea they were. It follows that a lot more people may be infected than tests are revealing, which drastically reduces the mortality rate to well-below 1%.
Source is here : https://www.lastampa.it/topnews/primo-piano/2020/04/02/news/coronavirus-castiglione-d-adda-e-un-caso-di-studio-il-70-dei-donatori-di-sangue-e-positivo-1.38666481
It's in Italian. I can't find an English language source, presumably because the English-language media is practicing their usual penchant for driving hysteria for ratings.

We're rapidly approaching a point where more deaths will be caused by economic dislocation than the virus itself.
Dyhalto has a point, the financial effects are going to make a big disaster it self. Of course peoples health and life are more important, but still..
Here in Sweden the government only says to people that stay home if you can, and wash your hands and keep social distance...
( high-school and higher schools works from distance(mostly) but not younger..(so we have not closed down totally here, but it`s hard for many factories because borders are closed in some countrys that delivers important things)
Aand i don`t know, Finland (70 something deceased only! ) , Norway, Denmark has much harder restrictions and we have at at least 10 times more deaths here.
Over 1300 deaths(and just over 11000 have the virus, but we don`t test much. And the numbers are insane if we compare to our neighborhood lands. As a side note i can say that yesterday 22 serious and trusted scientists went out to media and with sharp criticism said
that we are doing wrong(just look at the numbers) and some with power(the government) must stop the "experiment" https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/coronaviruset/tegnell-forsvarar-sveriges-taktik1/
government has promised a lot more money to companies and people that loses their jobs( tens of thousands already), but i work in a relative small store and we nearly don`t make it(i work for half of my usual money) because we don`t get any money so here it is easy to talk and harder to fulfill that( except som airlines and bigger company, they maybe have some money help already).
Now have the corona coming to my side of town and 2-3 of my nearest friends have the virus,and their families but they are ok(so far) and of`course in quarantine. I will see the nearest day how i feel..
Sorry for a long post, it feels good to "talk" about it.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The movie theater is getting kind of desperate for movies over here because Hollywood isn't releasing very much right now. They have started to play old movies, such as Ghost, Pan's Labyrinth, and currently playing Ready Player One.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=LockeZ
If you think the government is going to give back the rights they took away for "emergency protocols," you need to rewatch Star Wars.

https://www.politico.eu/article/hungary-no-longer-a-democracy-report/
author=kory_toombs
The movie theater is getting kind of desperate for movies over here because Hollywood isn't releasing very much right now. They have started to play old movies, such as Ghost, Pan's Labyrinth, and currently playing Ready Player One.

I actually love it when theaters play old movies, because I would never have a chance to watch them in that kind of setting otherwise. I'm still pretty hyped that the theater in my college town randomly decided to play The Shining one time.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, last time a big crisis happened in Europe, it led to Fascism all over the place. I guess we're not quite over modern history yet.
This cartoon was in the regional paper. It sums up most of the general public's attitude to the situation. Hopefully people are still taking things seriously.

It's supposed to be like Russian dolls.

The Dominion Post, B4. Saturday, May 9, 2020. New Zealand.
I'm ok, but I'm very worried about the general situation in the world.
Looks like they found the cure: riots!

In all seriousness, be safe out there boys.
the next 3 weeks are going to be ROUGH for COVID
My province has basically flatlined the curve, only 1 new case the other day. That said it might come back, and we still have to wait for other places to fight back covid before returning to normal. It's been pretty relaxed here though.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The county where I live is looking to go "Green" by Friday. Which translates to something along the lines of, "Yes, you still need to wear masks and practice social distancing. However, certain venues can now open at 50% client capacity".

Pretty sure "restaurants" are among such venues, but, I'm afraid I don't know too many additional specifics about what all can re-open (or otherwise allowed to become more active) with "Green" status.
author=Marrend
The county where I live is looking to go "Green" by Friday. Which translates to something along the lines of, "Yes, you still need to wear masks and practice social distancing. However, certain venues can now open at 50% client capacity".

Pretty sure "restaurants" are among such venues, but, I'm afraid I don't know too many additional specifics about what all can re-open (or otherwise allowed to become more active) with "Green" status.

You can go to quite a few places right now as long as you have a mask, a brick, and a crowd of people from what I've been seeing everywhere.

The pandemic has been quite strong worldwide.
There are countries more affected than others, but the confinements continue.
It is very difficult...
Pages: first prev 1234 last