[MAFIA] CHRONO TRIGGER - A MAFIA THROUGH TIME - GAME OVER

CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
Looking at the scum roles too I feel they were pretty underpowered
The one thing I think made the scum roles a little rough is that it seemed like it was going to be more difficult for us to recover MP than town. We couldn't really have convinced anyone with an MP-boosting action to heal us without giving the game away pretty quick. It would at least have been nice to have 4 MP and get to do two actions (ideally) given that there were only two of us, and there were so many draining/stealing abilities.

I mean it's not like that could even have come up since we lost so quickly, but I feel like that would have been an issue pretty quick.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Well LockeZ had the only power in the game that could steal MP from the other team, while oddRABBIT had the only power in the game that could give MP to the other team. All the other abilities could only spend MP to make someone else lose MP. So in that regard it wasn't more difficult, per se. However, what I did maybe not consider enough is that town had much more total MP to start off with.

This was partly alleviated by visiting 2300 A.D., which drained 1 MP from scum but 8 MP from town, but definitely something I should've considered and my simulator didn't quite capture.

Speaking of my simulator, I think I need to tweak the logic a bit, or maybe completely redesign it. Whenever I get a setup that my simulator says is about 50/50, it ends up being very town-sided in practice. I don't know why.
I mean make no mistake, scum lost fair and square. We did have a serious chance, and any of my concerns about MP didn't even come up.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
Yeah you can see how in practice though the mp stealing isn't so practical cause people just fire off their abilities anyway, by the time of n3 who even has mp anymore?

And I'm just imaginging the nightmare scenario where ae had used screech to stop the revive on her lol. I could see that ability being cool but the mp should maybe stay gone.hard to really know if it was balanced or not tho cause of how things played out. Anyway I love Chrono trigger
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Thinking about it more, I think what my simulator lacks is a concept of evolving knowledge throughout the game. I'm just using a constant weight (1.5) to reflect that being lynched is more likely when you're scum than when you're town, but this is of course dependent on other information (voting record) too, making the effective weight probably less than 1.5 in the early game but much higher in the lategame when a few almost confirmed people are walking around. The lack of this evolving knowledge probably makes my simulator end up in a scum win more than happens in practice.

None of you even commented on the HeroForge figurines. Those took a lot of work to get the poses right, you know... :(

I should also add a list of commonly used terms in the basic roles and rules for new players, because there's a lot of jargon in these games.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
That was fast!
During my catchup this morning I started suspecting Cave for making that case. Oh, sillly me. You're too good for us, Cave.
Muffle's d2 wall of reads was godly too.
Definitely a townsided game and scum had a rough day 1 too. Combination of the two got LockeZ in an uneasy situation.

author=Jeroen_Sol
None of you even commented on the HeroForge figurines. Those took a lot of work to get the poses right, you know... :(

I should also add a list of commonly used terms in the basic roles and rules for new players, because there's a lot of jargon in these games.

I wondered what these were. I loved how thematic this game was and how much effort you put in unique mechanics (time travel, mana, elements), but I think the setup is mechanically solvable by actions if not claims. Anyway I think it would be great to use some of these mechanics again. Also, I wouldn't reveal resurrected players if I were you. It made Fomar's role more powerful then necessary.

I think a link to mafiascum wiki would be a sufficient guidance for new players.

And thanks for hosting the game!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
As a casual observer of the game, I really respected the time travel mechanic, even if it barely came into play. Like, it kinda felt akin to the feeble attempt at Planechase "situations" that I tried to do in the Might and Magic-themed game I ran forever-and-a-half ago.
Oh yeah, what was the original day action? Have I missed it somewhere?

Twas fun, I especially enjoyed my time as Zoah, can't you believe you all nearly lynched Crono!

Maybe you could have mixed some Chrono Cross characters in to weaken claiming? Also a role-swapping Lynx would have been crazy.
Jeroen_Sol
author=Fomar0153
Oh yeah, what was the original day action? Have I missed it somewhere?

LockeZ used Halation to set psy's MP to 1. Ironically, this meant that he had 0 MP on day 2, and since Marle was the only character who could cure being on fire, Emily couldn't have been saved even if psy had believed her.
Yeah I was going to be mighty pissed if I woke up with on fire and with zero MP thanks to some townie draining me plus 2300AD. So it was very, very satisfying to see it was AE who was the one on fire.

I think what made the game townsided was the characters. If we had been told in advance "every player has a CT character" even, Odd and Fomar would be dead before AE.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In theory the roles made it completely impossible for scum to win, because everyone but Magus was immune to lynching. All they had to do was claim their role and it was impossible to dispute because the list of main characters was very specific and obvious. And the masons could back each other up and confirm each other as town.

But in practice that didn't actually happen, and the game ended before it got that far, with four people having not role claimed yet. And we got toasted by Psy and Cavedog being on the ball instead.

So we lost because town played well, not because of the setup. But I'm also confident we WOULD have lost no matter how well we played.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What were the "everyone is hated" and "everyone is loved" effects of the different eras?
Jeroen_Sol
Loved means "takes one more vote to be lynched" while hated means "takes one less vote to be lynched".

Yeah, I think I either need to stay away from heavily themed games altogether (fun though they are) or just suck it up and make protagonists scum so character claiming doesn't work anymore. And indeed, stating up front that everyone has a character also makes people not wrongly survive a lynch for having a character.
This was a fast game. Yeah mass claiming could of easily won. I looked at the list of fake claims and none of those were even main characters, whereas every actual role was a main character.

I had also noticed every main character had one move from the actual game. I didn't say anything in the thread in case scum hadn't noticed.

I really liked the travel mechanic and mp systems too, and would have liked to have seen it come into play more.
Jeroen_Sol
Hey demon. I've seen you do this a lot but never said anything of it.

It's could have. Not could of.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
We feeling like we need a break before another game or are people ready to go?
Feel like I wanna run something in a week or so
A week seems like the kind of break I'd want, this game was nice and fast.
A week sounds good to me. Also yeah, it's just a bad habit of mine. I know it's wrong in my head, but I still somehow seem to type it anyways. I should really work on that.