Which Y Axis Camera Movement do you prefer? - Results

Normal Y movement
45%
Inverted Y movement
54%

Pages: 1
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I think some of the first 3-D games I ever played were for the original X-box. I think they were Morrowind and Halo. Ever since I started, until now, I can only play these sort of games with a Y - Inverted Axis. My friend always played on normal. Is it strange for me to play games with a Y-Inverted camera? It's actually very difficult for me to play a game with a normal camera, to the point, if there's no option to change it, I won't play the game.

(I also just realized that a lot of N64 games have inverted controls by default, like Zelda.)

Details:

Y-Axis = Y is a vertical axis. X is a horizontal axis. The analog stick controls how the camera moves based on the direction you push.

Normal = pushing up makes the camera go up, pushing down makes the camera go down.

Inverted = pushing up makes the camera go down, pushing down makes the camera go up.

I used to invert Y, but I also aimed with the left stick. It was a package deal for me, I didn't need one or the other unless I had both. (And I refused to play a game that didn't let me do this.)

When I finally decided to convert to using the right stick, I no longer needed to invert the Y. Or at least, since swapping sticks in itself was such a dramatic switch for me, and as it required me to basically relearn all my gaming skills from scratch, regardless of whether I still decided to invert Y or not, I figured that I might as well learn it without inverting the Y. Although this probably made it easier if anything, since I was able to just tell myself that up=up down=down, and over time it became second nature.

That said I do prefer inverted for flight control still, and in racing games where you can control your nose in mid air. (Perhaps that is why I preferred to invert Y before, since those actions use the left stick.)
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I think you're looking for the word axis.

Is that the definitions of normal vs inverted movement? I can never tell what with every game seemingly having a different default.

For me it depends. If I'm playing with a controller, I prefer normal camera movement. If I'm playing on computer, I want it to work like scrolling, so I prefer inverted instead.
Eh...............

I usually keep the original setting, though I changed it for Disgaea DS. I don't remember which I prefer. I like both, and especially what I am used to.

's all good to me? *ponders*

I picked inverted cause that makes me feel fancy moving the camera (Personaaa), whereas normal is like 'this is fine' kind of feeling. Both are fine.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I recently played a game with no options. It made me nauseous to actually try to play with a normal camera set up. There was no option for inverted. I ended up uninstalling the game because I can't deal with the change. I think it's something I have learned from the early days of videogames that I can't let go of. It seems older games had a lot of inverted controls as the default set up. It's an interesting transition to see in gaming where the normal set up is always not inverted and you need to go into the menu to change it.

Some research suggests that the earliest games with inverted controls was Flight Simulator, which is quite an old game, and many of us probably had access to it at some point in our childhood.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
If I push an analog stick up or down, I expect the character (or camera) movement to be in the same direction. The one exception to this might be, like Wing Commander - Privateer, or other games that include flight simulations, where the action of "pulling up" means moving the stick down.

Of course, not all games are build the same. I've played games where there is no option to invert the camera axis, and the camera goes in the exact opposite direction of where I expect it to go. Such games mess with me, as I sometimes find myself moving the stick in one direction, realize that, whoops, it's the other way! It's annoying to have that kind of moment while playing a game, but there could be worse things. I've also played games where there is an option to invert the camera axis, and the "inverse" option is actually what I expect "normal" to be. So, very similar experience to Jeroen in this facet.
I generally prefer inverted Y-axis ala a flight simulator. Interestingly, for the X-axis it depends a lot on context. I like regular X-axis in a first-person view, so that you turn in the direction you push the stick. For third-person view, however, I originally preferred inverted X-axis, so that it's as if the camera moves in the direction you push the stick as it pans around the avatar. Probably because Super Mario 64 did it this way and that was nearly everybody's introduction to third-person 3D.

Then along came Splatoon, which is this weird amalgamation of third-person view with first-person-style gameplay. It didn't have any inversion options, so I just had to get used to regular X-axis in that view. Now I instinctively want regular X-axis, especially in games involving shooting like the Uncharted series.
unity
You're magical to me.
I can go with either, but for some reason I prefer the inverted controls.

Just speculating as to why, but maybe it's due to my dad's interest in flight simulators growing up. I don't remember playing any of these games more than a handful of times, but maybe doing so at a somewhat early age imprinted the inverted controls on me?
There are two instances where I generally use inverted. If I'm using a controller and it's third person (so the "camera" moves down (and the view up) when I push down the stick). Or when I'm in a flying vehicle.

Other than that it's nearly always not inverted. And it's just about never inverted if I'm using a mouse. Because with the mouse I always feel like I'm moving a target on the screen (the mouse, or a target reticule), while when using a controller I feel more like I'm controlling a camera.

One issue I have with switching the things is when games don't have an option "unswitch" when going into first person mode (for sniper rifle aiming or whatever). I always have a hard time inverting in "sniper rifle mode" even with a controller.
Always inverted for me. I think this comes from the fact that the first video games I played were for the Nintendo 64, and games for that console often have inverted Y axis by default.

Plus, it makes more sense in my mind. I play as if I'm controlling the character's head, not the cursor.
Pages: 1