[RM2K] DYNAMIC CHARSETS AND FACESETS SCRIPT

Pages: 1
Hi everyone!

I'd like to share a little project I've been working on recently. It's an RPG Maker 2000 script based on Bananen-Joe's DestinyPatcher. In case you haven't heard of DestinyPatcher, it adds a scripting language called DestinyScript to Rm2k. With DestinyScript, you can do fun things like directly manipulate game graphics.

This gave me an idea. If we can manipulate game graphics like charsets, shouldn't this allow us to generate charsets ingame by combining different templates? Short answer: yes!

So I wrote a script that does exactly that. All you have to do is find some templates and tell the script which event you'd like to draw them on. This allows you to mix and match whatever layers you want, kinda like this:

If you want to see it in action, here you go:

The video shows some gameplay from the demo, which you can download here:

Dynamic Charsets Demo v1.1 (5.1 MB) (no RTP necessary)

The demo includes a comprehensive readme that explains all the steps you need to take to include this script in your game. You can also take a look at the readme right here.

One important limitation that I should mention is that this script only works with games that are compatible with DestinyScript. This means you'll need an RPG_RT.exe that was created with RPG Maker 2000 v1.07. If you're using the Steam version of RPG Maker 2000, you'll need to replace your RPG_RT.exe with the one from this demo. The only downside that I know of is that battle strings in the standard battle system won't work properly.

I know this script is probably ten years late, but I hope someone will still find it useful. Let me hear your thoughts!
Hi again!

There's now a complementary script that does the same thing for facesets. So you can combine these templates, for example:

To generate the following facial expressions:

This script works the same way as the Dynamic Charsets Script, so if someone wants to use one of them, they will automatically know how to use the other one as well.

Links:
Dynamic Facesets Demo v1.0 (1.5 MB) (no RTP necessary)
Installation Guide
My Rm2k Script Collection

I've noticed there's an official script database, but RPG Maker 2000 is not available as a choice of engine. If that could be changed, I'd submit my scripts there. :)
Looks neat. I did something similar in RT2K3 with battle sprites.
Looks awesome, would it be in anyway possible to adapt this to DynRPG for RM2K3 by any chance? Cool system anyway, this would save a lot of work for any such system in an RM2K game :)
Glad you guys like it. :)

I'm not familiar with DynRPG, so I really couldn't tell you. I guess it should be possible. Maybe Aubrey could answer this?

Since we're on the topic of DynRPG, I wonder if it's possible to display messages via the "Show Message" command using DynRPG. I've developed an Rm2k script that reads dialog from a comment and then displays it with automatic linebreaks and in as many textboxes as necessary. When I released that script, I got the same response of someone asking if it would be possible to port this to Rm2k3 using DynRPG. Does anyone know if that's possible?
author=c-gid89
Looks awesome, would it be in anyway possible to adapt this to DynRPG for RM2K3 by any chance?

In the sense that DestinyScript can be converted directly to DynRPG code, almost certainly not. In the sense that something similar could be done with DynRPG...I would've guessed yes, but after a quick look through the DynRPG Character documentation, I'm actually thinking no. It doesn't seem to have a reference to the in-game image data, just the files it's drawn from. You might be able to write a plugin that actually creates custom image files on the fly and then assigns a Character to them, but the change probably wouldn't take effect immediately in the player's view, it'd only happen when the game decides to reload the Character image files (and who knows when that happens).
Pages: 1