IS TRUMP EVEN HUMAN?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
ESBY
extreme disappointment
bernie drop out jo :(
I mean it's understandable that not everyone gets that the US is a hard two-party system where there's no room for third or fourth or fifth candidates. The whole process is so convoluted and complicated.

Trump is in the top 2 candidates only because there can be only two candidates.
Oh yes! I remember reading that, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's two phases? And the first phase involves voting for who's going to be the final two?
Which... I mean, it at least avoids situations like what happened here, where people were spreading votes aimlessly while a bafoon amassed thoughtless votes and got himself elected. Although the whole Republicans vs Democrats thing still confuses me a bit.

But yeah. :( if that's the case and there's only these two to pick from... Woop.

BTW, I find it kinda baffling that Trump was impeached yet he remained president, it really is kinda confusing. (I'm once again trying to draw parallels to understand the situation because around here our president is absolutely amassing impeachment processes)

Also it's weird to see how important the US elections are to Brazilians, as well as to any other citizen of any other country really, given how much what the US does affects the rest of the world (and the other presidents like to imitate them)

I wonder what sort of global effect would a president that's radically opposite to what trump presents entail globally, even if not directly, on a cognitive level / on what sorts of new world leaders would emerge in the tail of such a president (given that Trump likely spawned, or at least encouraged, the likes of some such as the current president of Brazil)

Biden is going to get all the electoral votes from my state so it doesn't really matter what I think

I'm so disillusioned with the US election system. We have to choose between one sex creep or another it makes me wonder what the point is? I'd rather get involved with organizations like Food Not Bombs than worry about the next rich white guy who's going to pretend he's leading the country when he's really just looking out for billionaire interests :/ At least then I'd be doing something productive and better for my mental health.

I guess, for the record, Biden is the least bad option of the ones available but 'endorsing him' would be a stretch.

@Jo Technically, it's not between just the two candidates but materially that's the way it ends up playing out. I don't think Bernie is an option. Although if I had it my way Bernie would be the next president (but I still have the same reservations about the system as a whole).
author=Dyhalto
How did it go from 29 nominees to him?

Because the Powers That Be realized "shit. If we don't all immediately group up on a single candidate, Bernie has a semi-good chance of outright winning, and is almost guaranteed to take us to a contested convention, where we might see people angrily riot if we steal it from him. And if Bernie wins, that's the end of our gravy train! We need to consolidate ALL our power into ONE candidate, and Biden DID to the best in the previous state sooo..."

Then the day before Super Tuesday, everyone but Warren dropped out in one shot and backed him, giving him a MASSIVE boost. And Warren staying in siphoned some votes away from Sanders.

And the final nail in the coffin was the pandemic. Because not only was the party pushing for the primaries to be held without delays despite the risk to people's lives, but was pushing for them to be in person, thus putting people at risk. And local judges were out there going "YES, we will say you're not allowed to delay at all, you have to hold them now!".

So...Given that Bernie's chances of snagging a win were now quite low, and various groups were basically threatening to shoot the hostages (and by all accounts, several people died in the state they forced the primary to happen in as a result)...Well, it makes sense why he dropped out. No point having blood on your hands when you have no real shot at winning. :s

author=Dyhalto
Anyway, expect to be really voting for Hillary Clinton.
Again.

I understand that I can only say this as a Canadian who is considerably less impacted by all this...

But my god, if the month before the election they were like "SURPRIIIISE! Biden's been committed to an institution and we're replacing him with Hillary!" I will legit, no lie, roll on the floor laughing madly at the absurdity of the insane clown dystopia that the US has become.

Because that's when it goes from "My god, it's a depressing, deadly, corrupt dystopia" to full on ABSURD. It didn't work last time, she's massively unpopular (to an actual shocking degree. She's quite awful, but not as bad as some of the hate she gets) so why the heck would they think it would work this time?!

IMPORTANT EDIT
: I feel like I need to clarify.

I wouldn't be laughing because it would be funny.

I'd be laughing because that's my psyche's natural defense mechanism when I'm in pain or encounter something incomprehensibly bad.

Have to get an IV inserted 3 times because it keeps failing? I laugh madly.

I'm stuck on a coding problem and it's been 3 hours and I'm right back to my starting point, only now my code looks like a tornado just hit? I laugh madly.

I see political parties do the dumbest possible move imaginable, thinking it's the best move, but really it'll just doom the world to 4 more years of a megalomaniac manchild? I laugh madly.

Because what else can I do to cope?
author=Versalia
author=Liberty
choosing a no vote just hurts the whole team and puts trumpsterfire back in
i'm not going to fall into lockstep "against trump" because biden would be absolutely no better. it will cost us a LOT with people on the right too because they would be absolutely right to accuse us of electing a left wing clone of trump. there is no moral high ground here, liberty. biden is very probably guilty of the same sexual harassment that was commonplace for men of his generation to perpetrate. so, sure, tell yourself you're winning the battle against trump while you vote for a rapist

okay, so keep rapist mc mealy mouth, let's go to war and fuck all professions that aren't rich people in. good call there.

when the two people you have to pick from are rapists then you should look at which is less monstrous than the other. They're both fucking shit, but at least Biden isn't going to be there long - he's frail and likely gonna be more of a mouthpiece than anything. so look at the other people who could take his post. you want PENCE and his brand of fuckery up as vice? good luck with sticking 'to ya guns' on voting the same shitballs in, tho. very big brain move

I mean, fuck, you could do worse than hillary. You have already DONE worse than hillary - the current fuckup

honestly, ya'll need to kick the two party system somehow because it leaves you with nothing but two rapist assholes as possible pressies
author=Liberty
okay, so keep rapist mc mealy mouth, let's go to war and fuck all professions that aren't rich people in. good call there.

when the two people you have to pick from are rapists then you should look at which is less monstrous than the other. They're both fucking shit, but at least Biden isn't going to be there long

honestly, ya'll need to kick the two party system somehow because it leaves you with nothing but two rapist assholes as possible pressies
^^^ All of this!!

Like always Libby's head is on right. Harm reduction WITHIN the system is necessary. That's Biden in this case. That has to come now, and reform of the system has to come to as well.

In the US, I'm gonna vote for Biden. AND I'm also going to help reform the system to be less heinous, AND I'm going to organize so that we won't have to rely on the system at all in the future. I might be pretty disillusioned, and it might be impossible to achieve all those goals in my lifetime, but we all have to do our best anyway!

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
You should jump off the burning ship and move here! Become an actual Sol bro like everyone was already calling you. Here we've got 47 parties to choose from, each with many different people to vote for.
I don't know why any of you still have faith in Bernie Sanders.
After the DNC nomination was stolen from him in 2016, he could have repudiated the Democratic party, ran as an independent, and absolutely won. Trump and Hillary were universally reviled, whereas he was universally revered. It would've been another FDR '36 landslide.
Instead, he caved to the machine.

And then he did it again this year. Instead of stepping up for what you would think he believed in, he once again rolled over, exposed his belly, and pledged support for an old man who cognitive faculties are clearly not there anymore. Pathetic.

But as was noticed and is now joked about regarding Bernie's signature catchphrase...
Bernie 2016 : "The millionaires and the billionaires!"
Bernie 2020 : "The billionaires!"
Bernie 2024 : "The multi-billionaires!"
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

At least Canada has more than 2 choices, since the person you vote for can still get a seat in the parliament. Yep, even the Green Party isn't a wasted vote, with a total of 3 seats in the federal government.

I'm not allowed to vote in Canada any more anyways. Lived in Taiwan too long and not a Taiwan citizen. If I could vote in Taiwan I would probably vote for the KMT. Canada the Green Party (I'm from Vancouver Island - the place they have the highest odds of winning.)
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Canada revokes your citizenship if you've been away for too long?
ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=Liberty
The solution to that isn't "let's vote for the rapist mc mealy mouth, let's go to war and fuck all professions that aren't rich people in but wears a blue tie".

author=Gourd_Clae
Like always Libby's head is on right. Harm reduction WITHIN the system is necessary. That's Biden in this case.
Biden built the system, Biden is the system. You can't reform it underneath a president whose career and current campaign is centered on maintaining it. There will be no healthcare reform under Biden, there will be no justice reform under Biden. Structural change requires the mass mobilisation of people but unfortunately the Democrats once again chose to be beholden to corporate interests over the populace.

Shit sucks basically.
author=Dyhalto
I don't know why any of you still have faith in Bernie Sanders.

I don't get why people think the president could truly change the system anyway. After all, their are senators in office right now who've held their post longer than I've been alive.

Just look at Mitch McConnel. He's held a post within the senate since he was elected to it in 1984.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=Jeroen_Sol
Canada revokes your citizenship if you've been away for too long?

No, but if you're out of the country for about 5 years or so, and aren't planning to return you can no longer apply for an absentee ballot. So, effectively I can no longer legally vote in Canadian elections, even though I'm a Canadian citizen. I would become a Taiwan citizen if they removed some conditions from the process. (Also, the absentee ballot only lets you vote in federal elections, if you're out of the country you cannot vote in provincial elections at all.)

@ESBY I understand where you are coming from completely! Shit most certainly does suck. :/

I'm curious what you think we should do?

author=Jeroen_Sol
You should jump off the burning ship and move here! Become an actual Sol bro like everyone was already calling you. Here we've got 47 parties to choose from, each with many different people to vote for.
I'm coming home, brother!! :'D But, honestly, this place feels like a dystopian hellscape most days.

Bert was telling me some interesting things about university tuition prices over there... Sounds refreshing!

You know my university's tuition is $100,000 a year? Most of that gets paid via student loans. I am in the big debt.
Jeroen_Sol
Damn, that's really steep. By comparison, my tuition is about € 2100 a year. Though this is more expensive if you don't have a Dutch secondary school diploma (so for expats), varying wildy by study, but averaging around € 10,000 a year. Still a long shot from $ 100,000 though.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yeah, and those universities with 100,000 dollar tuitions? They get several billion dollars per year in federal funding.

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/how-much-federal-funding-do-colleges-in-your-state-receive
Overall, the federal government gave $40 billion to public and private universities for research and development in 2017, according to data from the National Science Foundation that Campus Reform used in its report.
Half of the reason that people voted for Trump in the first place was because he represented an unknown quality. People were (and still are) sick of everyday political mire, so they needed a fresh prospect.

Well, that prospect turned out to be not so good. It was a breath of air, but not fresh air.

As annoying as it is to go back to the way we were before, the air is more fetid than ever. We should at least get Trunp out of the White House. Like, we need to tackle the dialysis before we can get to the kidney transplant.
@piano ?? there is no reason for tuition to be so high in that case. Not that there was a good reason in the first place. >.> What's worse is it's been raised almost every year I've been attending.

@Jeroen Omg sign me up! That is still a lot more accessible than what I'm dealing with now, for sure.

My particular school has a balloon budget that's at $50,000. I was struggling to pay a ~$1000 bill at the end of the semester. This was around when my family and I were homeless. I requested just a little bit more aid to help me through it and it was an uphill battle (even though they eventually helped me). Like, I was asking to be put more in debt... You spend 50,000 on balloons. You can't spare like 500 or something without a fight?

In the end, I think they only helped me out because it was good publicity but I still had to pay most of the remaining balance. I'm really lucky to have received the other help that I did. It just makes me upset knowing most people don't get so lucky in the same circumstances.
Pages: first prev 123 next last