[RMXP] MAKING AN EARTHBOUND/UNDERTALE HYBRID "SPARE/ACT" SYSTEM

Pages: 1
(If you frequent Reddit you may have seen this already. I'm posting this 4 minutes after that post in an attempt to hopefully get more help.)

I've been doing some digging over the last week or so, and the result of that digging is *close* to what I'm wanting, but still not perfect.
I am planning on making it more complex later when this basic version is functional.

Essentially, what I am trying to make is an "Act" skill that puts the enemy into a "Spareable" state; it is supposed to show text (for sake of simplicity, "Success" if it worked or "Failure" if it didn't) to describe how the attempt went. It is a one-enemy focused skill, not all at once.

The problem with my current set up is that whenever the "Act" skill is used (on Enemy 1, for example), it displays the "Failure" text for all enemies currently in the troop, even if they were not the target.

I'm linking to Imgur to show two ways I've gotten to this point, my older attempt I made entirely alone and a newer one that was inspired by a "Scan" ability script.

Old: https://imgur.com/a/6fZrHkX
New/current: https://imgur.com/a/mz5PKTm

(I'm calling this a "Hybrid" system because the flavor text for "success" or "failure" I'm wanting to make similar to the Mother series' text ("Example is thinking about life")-type stuff.

It doesn't have to be super pretty, but I'm making a fangame mostly for my fiance to play, and I want it to work as I'm hoping.
OK, you're using a common event as one of the skill effects. Unfortunately the common event has no knowledge of which enemy was targeted so you're going through all of them and checking if the state was applied or not.

Two ways around this:
1. Have your skill apply a second, invisible, state with 100% probability.
In the common event, put an outer condition for each enemy to check whether they have the state or not.
Only if they have the invisible state,run your existing condition to show one of the two messages. Then remove the invisible state from that enemy.

"Invisible state" means: no icon, no apply messages etc, so it doesn't show up in the battle UI.

2. Use a script call in the skill effects to set a variable
This will look something like "$gameVariables.setValue(variable_number, b.index())" in MV
or "v = b.index" in VXA

To get a script call into a skill, you can either put it in the damage formula or use a plugin that lets you do it more flexibly (e.g. YEP_SkillCore)

Armed with the variable, your common event can use only the relevant enemy.
Pages: 1