[MAFIA] STAR TREK (LIMITED REVEAL) MAFIA - DAY 1

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Star Trek (Limited Reveal) Mafia

Following CAVE's janitor game last time, which lead to the most crazy awesome scum play I've seen in quite a while, we're going to go even further in this Limited Reveal Mafia game! This will be an open game, that I will try to make work for however many sign-ups I get. The flavour is Star Trek, but it will not be alignment indicative. This game will start no earlier than June 2nd to avoid conflict with the Theme Roulette event.

What is Mafia?
Wikipedia
Mafia (Russian: Ма́фия, also known as Werewolf) is a party game created in the USSR by Dimitry Davidoff in 1986, modelling a battle between an informed minority (the mafia) and an uninformed majority (the townspeople). Players are secretly assigned roles: either mafia, who know each other; or townspeople, who know only the number of mafia amongst them. In the game's night phase the mafia covertly "murder" a townsperson. During the day phase, all of the surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumber the townspeople. A typical game starts with seven townspeople and two mafiosi.

Standard Roles and Rules:
Before the game begins, each player is sent a PM assigning him or her a role. The contents of the PM cannot be shared with other players. All roles are assigned randomly. There are three basic types of roles that you can get: Town, Mafia and Independent.

Town
If you are part of the Town, then your objective as a group is to stay alive and try to find out who the Mafia are. Since you cannot communicate with other players outside of this thread, you must work together and weed out who is lying and who is not. Townies who die still win when the rest of the town wins.

Mafia
The Mafia (aka Scum) on the other hand, have a significant advantage over the Town. They can communicate with other scum members outside the thread during night phase. During the night, they can come together, discuss, and kill a townie. If all goes according to their plan (which it might not), then that townie will be dead -thus cannot post or vote- for the rest of the game.

Independent
As an Independent, your job is to survive until the end of the game. Depending on your role, this may constitute killing of all Town-aligned players and Mafia and being the only player left alive or simply staying alive regardless of whether the Town or Mafia win, and having a separate win condition. An independent may or may not be in the game.

If all Mafia are killed, then The Town Wins!
If enough Town-aligned people are killed that the amount of Mafia is greater than or equal to the amount of Town-aligned people, The Mafia Wins!
If an Independent successfully survives and satisfies their win condition, they Win!

Game Structure:
The game starts out in something called a day phase. In this phase, all players who are not dead may participate in discussion as well as vote for who gets lynched (note that you can also vote for no one getting lynched). The day phase will continue until a set deadline has passed or when deciding vote is reached.
Once the day phase is finished, the night phase begins. No one may talk in the thread during this phase, meaning that only players with night actions play a significant role. Night actions are abilities possessed by special roles that can be used to alter the game during the night phase. All night actions, including the scum's kill, will be sent to me via PM(unless otherwise stated). Once the night phase deadline is reached or when all actions are sent in, I will PM everyone involved with their results and then a new day phase will begin. If anyone dies, then that person will be revealed.

Rinse and repeat until the game is over...

The Rules:
1. VOTING: Voting should look like this:
#Lynch Jeroen_Sol or #NoLynch
And if you wish to change your vote, first cancel your first vote like this:
#Cancel
It needs to be bold and with a # in front of it, to make it easier for me to make vote counts.

2. PARTICIPATE: It's not too fun when half of the players are always missing in action and only have a few posts. Try to post a few times during each day phase and contribute to the discussion in some way. This is also very important for the town's survival. If you don't participate, you are at high risk of being modkilled or replaced.

3. DON'T CHEAT: Although it'd be difficult for me to find out, just don't do it anyway. You'd be ruining the fun of the game. And if I DO find out...

4. IF YOU ARE DEAD, STAY DEAD: This game does not involve zombies. If you die, then don't post anymore. This of course doesn't apply if your role specifically allows you to speak while dead.

5. EDIT RULE: NEVER EVER EDIT POSTS. If you think your post has awful grammar, just make a new one to correct it.

6. DO NOT QUOTE PMs: Never quote from a PM I send you. Creating false PMs is also forbidden. You may paraphrase information from PMs, but never literally quote them.

7. ANTI-STALLING RULES:
- 1: If nobody dies two day and night phases in a row due to any faction withholding kills, the game ends in favour of whichever faction(s) did not withhold their kill in those two day and night phases, or was the last to do so if all factions did.
- 2: If a nolynch happens at MYLO (non-scum = scum + 2), scum must attempt to kill the following night phase.

Game-specific Rules:

Limited Reveal: When a player dies, only their alignment will be revealed. Their role will remain hidden.

List of Roles:

2 Coroners:
Two roles guaranteed to be in the game are a Town Odd/Even Coroner and a Scum Even/Odd Coroner. There will always be one Odd and one Even Coroner, but which is which will be determined by a coin flip.
About Coroner:
A Coroner can target a dead player at night to learn their role. Any dead player can be chosen, regardless of when that player died.

About Odd/Even:
An Oddrabbit role can use their power on nights 1, 3, 5, etc. An Even role can use their power on nights 2, 4, 6, etc.

1 Scum 1-shot Strongman:
About Strongman:
A Strongman can choose to activate their night action to make the nightkill unblockable that night. The kill will still succeed even if the target has been protected by the Doctor.

1 Town Death Miller:
About Death Miller:
The Death Miller will receive a Vanilla Town role PM, but will flip Scum upon death. When investigated by a Coroner, the result will be Town Death Miller.

1 Town Doctor:
About Doctor:
A Doctor can target a living player at night to protect them from the nightkill. This version of the Doctor can self-target, but cannot target the same player two nights in a row.

1 Town Parity Cop:
About Parity Cop:
A Parity Cop can target two living players at night to figure out if they are of the same alignment. The result is either Same (Two Town or two Scum) or Different (One Town and one Scum). Since the Death Miller is a Miller only upon flipping, they are counted as Town for the Parity Cop.

5 Vanilla Town. The Vanilla Town role PM won't be a lie this time, I promise. Except for the Death Miller, where it is a lie, of course.

In other words, the setup will be:
  • Odd Coroner
  • Even Coroner
  • Doctor
  • Parity Cop
  • Death Miller
  • Vanilla
  • Vanilla
  • Vanilla
  • Vanilla
  • Vanilla
  • Strongman

OR

• Even Coroner
  • Odd Coroner
  • Doctor
  • Parity Cop
  • Death Miller
  • Vanilla
  • Vanilla
  • Vanilla
  • Vanilla
  • Vanilla
  • Strongman

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanilla Town Role PM:
You are a Vanilla Town!

Abilities:
None

You win when all scum are killed.
You lose when the scum outnumber the town.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sign-ups:

01 - Fomar0153, Town Vanilla, died N2
02 - CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK, Scum 1-shot Strongmen, lynched D3
03 - AlaskanEmily, Town Vanilla, died N1
04 - El_WaKa, Town Death Miller, survived
05 - demonlord5000, Town Even Coroner, survived
06 - OldPat, Town Vanilla, survived
07 - oddRABBIT, Town Doctor, survived
08 - Muffle, Town Parity Cop, survived
09 - psy_wombats, Town Vanilla, died N3
10 - OzzyTheOne, Scum Odd Coroner, lynched D4
11 - Yomi-Chan, Town Vanilla, survived

Replacements:
Cap_H
Sure, I'll try not to scumread demonlord like I do every game this time, unless he is scum, then I will definitely scumread him.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
claiming doctor day 1
Ohai! I can't wait to be a blind death miller.
Sign me up! It's my first time in a Mafia game so I hope I'm doing this right.
If cave is claiming doctor day 1, then I'm going to counterclaim doctor d1. We can't have just 1 doctor, it's unheard of.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I'd get a heart attack from this setup. Call me in, if you need a sub. And good luck claiming doctors d1, everyone!
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
Yo, sure. I'm in.
Pre-claiming the turbo death miller
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Alright, with 9 players, I've finished a setup that I think/hope/pray will work, but I have no idea what logic to use to simulate a Death Miller game so we'll have to see. More players can still sign up and increase the number of Vanilla Town in the game. If we get 12 or more players, I'll probably add a Goon.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Join me in coach.
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
It's time for me to sign up, yes.
Jeroen_Sol
Good to have you back Ozzy! And welcome, Yomi!
Jeroen_Sol
This game will start sometime tomorrow, with the 11 players we have. The flavour will be Star Trek, as I've been watching a lot of Next Gen lately, but not with existing characters, nor will the characters be in the role PMs, so they can't be used for any deductive purposes.
author=Jeroen_Sol
The flavour will be Star Trek, as I've been watching a lot of Next Gen lately, but not with existing characters, nor will the characters be in the role PMs, so they can't be used for any deductive purposes.

You can't stop us from reading too far into literally anything. I have not yet begun to over-analyze!
Ensign Fomar reporting for duty.
Jeroen_Sol
Captain's log, stardate 46229.1

We have arrived at the planet Mafla II, tasked with a mission of great importance. A respiratory virus named Kavad-91 has started a pandemic on Starbase 12. All attempts at treating the virus have been unsuccessful due to its uncanny ability to selectively mutate its DNA to resemble its host's.

The only vessel to dock at Starbase 12 in the 3 days before the pandemic started was a small research vessel that had just come back from studying the previously uncharted Mafla II. Our mission is to synthesize a cure for Kavad-91 from the local wildlife's DNA, who may have built a natural immunity to the virus due to originating from the same planet.

I have just received a transmission from Starfleet that the virus has already infected hundreds of patients, and the mortality rate so far is 100%. Starbase 12 has been quarantined, and we have no time to lose.

In a few minutes, I will beam an away team of 11 to Mafla II's surface. Though this will leave the bridge slightly undermanned, finding a cure as fast as possible is our highest priority.

-------------------

"First Officer to Captain Mary Pfizer. Do you hear me?"

"Yes, number one. I hear you. I'm glad you're safe. What happened?"

"Nothing has happened, captain. All 11 of us have safely beamed upon the planet's surface. We are about to start our search for local wildlife now."

"Hold it, number one. What do you mean all of you have made it safely onto the planet?"

"Exactly that, ma'am. We are all here and accounted for."

"Number one, did you not notice anything weird during your transport to the planet's surface?"

"No, ma'am. Not at all."

"...
How much time has passed between you landing on the planet's surface and you hailing us?"

"Around 3 seconds, ma'am."

"No, number one. We beamed you onto the planet 3 hours ago."

"That is... odd, ma'am."

"During transport, the ship was struck by a sudden burst of energy originating from the planet's surface. We thought your energy patterns had all scattered into space! Lieutenant Commander Tudomány, what could cause a transport to be delayed by 3 hours?"

"Memory banks indicate one similar occurence on the planet of Daled IV, home to the shape-shifting Allasomorphs. A rebel Allasomorph group intercepted the transporter beam of the USS Dethetrappe, studied the energy patterns over the course of 2 hours and 14 minutes, then replaced the energy pattern of an ensign, and completed the transport. The Allasomorph was able to successfully impersonate the ensign, and killed everyone on board the ship when the away party returned."

"Do the research vessel's logs make any mention of a shape-shifting species on Mafla II?"

"No ma'am. They only studied the geography and vegetation."

"I want you to scan the landing site for humanoid lifeforms."

"Yes ma'am.

We may have a problem."

"What is it, Tudomány?"

"Like commander McConnell said, there are indeed 11 lifeforms on the landing site. However, only 8 of those read as humanoid."

"McConnell?"

"Yes ma'am. Everyone, we may have intruders. Set fasers to kill!"

"Tudomány, can you determine which of the crew do not read as humanoid?"

"No, ma'am. The planet's atmosphere is making it very difficult to make precise scans like that. All I know is that 3 of the lifeforms on the landing site read as not humanoid."

"Do we have any way of determining who is who?"

"Not from a distance, ma'am. And I advise against beaming all of them back onto the ship while there are impostors among them, given the carnage that took place on board the Dethetrappe."

"Then what do we do?"

"All we can do is hope that the away team can find the impostors amongst themselves, ma'am."

"Dammit..."

-------------------

Day 1 starts now! It will end 2020-06-05, 23:00 CEST, in about 80.5 hours, or when hammer falls.

Day 1 votecount as of 2020-06-02, 14:37 CEST:

Not voting: 11 - Fomar0153, CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK, AlaskanEmily, El_WaKa, demonlord5000, OldPat, oddRABBIT, Muffle, psy_wombats, OzzyTheOne, Yomi-Chan

With 11 alive, it takes 6 to lynch.
So the question most of us have I'm sure is whether OddRabbit is the odd coroner or the even coroner because we all know Jeroen would totally do that!