RPGMAKER2K3 LARGE SPRITE ISSUE.

Pages: 1

If this question has already been asked, feel free to take this down and refer me to a post that deals with this type of issue. I tried to look through a lot of the topics, but I couldn't find anything on this. I couldn't find any tool like a search bar or something that could help me find something specific like this.

Thanks and sincere apologies.

Okay. Let's get to the point.

I'm a beginner in RPG Maker 2003. I've gotten tilesets to be compatible, but charsets are a bit janky.

Let me explain:

In RPG Maker, I've seen someone use charsets to build objects that are too large to fit in an "upper" tileset.

I tried to make an object doing it the same way, where they put vertical spaces between the "whole" image in the charset and use different events with different walking sprites to piece the image together like a jigsaw puzzle, but that didn't work. The sprite came out all jumbled.

So I did it without the vertical spaces, and it STILL came out with the sprite looking all chaotic and glitchy, sometimes with the events even looking identical next to each other.

Not to mention that the image has the transparent color showing up in the image in the game test. But first, I want to solve the arrangement issue.

The events are stationary with standing animations.

Thank you very much for reading this and analyzing this issue.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
You should try putting in some screenshots of what you're doing and what the result looks like, because I expect people are having trouble figuring out what your problem is.
Example:

Working example:

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

@Laffy_Taffy:
Man, this thread is a mess. Firstly, and most importantly for the forum, you can edit your posts. Please use that instead of posting multiple times in a row.

Secondly, your problem lies in three places.
1) You need to set every sprite to "Fixed Graphic". This will use the frame you have selected. Otherwise, RPGMaker 2003 will attempt to show the sprite as it would a normal person (with walking frames and such). Since you don't want those frames, you need to use Fixed Graphic.
2) The bars on either side of the sprite exist because RPGMaker2003 characters can be 24x32 pixels (24 is the width), while a single tile is 16x16 pixels. The white bars in the working example are 4 pixels on either side of the sprite. That means you have 4 pixels of blank space, then the 16 pixels that will occupy the tile, then 4 more pixels of blank space. Without these blank spaces, the sprites will ovelap one another (since 24 pixels are bigger than 16 pixels. See?)

Similarly, because the character sprite is a 24x32 space (32 pixels being the height), if you place the sprite on top of one another they will overlap (because 32 is bigger than 16). Try putting a space on top of each sprite, so it goes:
event
blank space
event

3) The reason you have transparency showing up is because it isn't transparency. RPGMaker2003 only makes the exact RGB value you've selected transparent. If you're editing, you need to ENSURE that anti-aliasing is off and colour is set to to choose nearest neighbour. Brush hardness should always be 100% (or just use the pencil tool). Make sure the file is only ever saved as .bmp or .png when editing. Also, don't use white as a transparent colour. Lots of sprites will have white in them. Instead, use some rare colour, like hot pink or bright teal. These colours won't often appear in the image themselves, making it is easier to avoid future transparency errors.

The biggest issue is the Fixed Graphic one (it's in event properties under animation type). Try to set them all to Fixed Graphic and tell me what happens.
No problem! Your game has an interesting looking aesthetic, so I hope you stick with it. RPGMaker 2003 is a bit old so it does some wonky stuff, but it's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Pages: 1