NEW RPG MAKER INCOMING?

Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Man, I dunno. Make a plugin that serves me milkshakes. Nobody's covered that AFAIK.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
If you're going to buy it to make plug-ins, or help people with their projects, I'm not 100% sure if that's really worth a purchase, regardless of what features it has. This was happened with me and MV. I couldn't really help anybody with their coding issues, but, being able to do so wasn't enough, by itself, to justify a purchase.

I mean, if you plan on making games with the thing as well as making plug-ins, by all means, get it. Just don't get it to be able to help others, and do nothing else with it, even if helping others gives you that warm, fuzzy, happy feeling inside.
author=Marrend
Just don't get it to be able to help others, and do nothing else with it, even if helping others gives you that warm, fuzzy, happy feeling inside.

Imagine if Yanfly had followed that advice.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Fomar0153
Marrend
Just don't get it to be able to help others, and do nothing else with it, even if helping others gives you that warm, fuzzy, happy feeling inside.

is this really the take you want to put out into the world
unity
You're magical to me.
I think wanting to help people and/or make stuff for them to use is just fine and pretty wonderful, if that's what you really want to do. But it needs to be what you really want to do.

And given how demanding and toxic some parts of the RM community can be (like the people who constantly demand that Nessy and others give them stuff they want for free and are generally rude and unpleasant about it) I can't blame anyone for not wanting to buy a whole new engine just to be a little helpful.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
Being a lifelong RM fan, of course I'm gonna get MZ...eventually. But, this time around, instead of snapping it up on day 1 like with MV, I might wait for the sale.

I really wanted to be excited about this. I mean it's the first new RM in years. Unfortunately, I'm just not, at least from what's shown so far.

The thing is, I think MV and Ace already does a perfect job if one wants to make a retro JRPG. I was hoping the new RM could do things these could not in a major way. A completely new tool for a different type of JRPG, and I can continue using Ace or MV for the more retro games. Maybe incorporate features from the new generation of JRPGs such as smart A.I. team members and animated busts. You know, still 2D focused but superpowered. And something that's not easily done with plug-ins. Heck, I don't think it even has Mode 7.

One good thing I'm hearing is that it will be more optimized than MV. So...it will have MV like features but run at Ace speed on multiple platforms? That would be a good feature.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I didn't mean to say anything against Yanfly, or people like him. People like that are probably owed more than what they were given. I guess I was just messing up my own personal thought-process on the matter. For what little it's worth, I'm sorry if I gave offense.
Personally, I bought every version of RM during the Stay At Home sale in May, mainly to help the community :). I plan to buy RMMZ with the same idea.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'm not sure buying an engine helps the community, so much as it helps the engine's publishers.

Making resources, doing reviews, etc. etc.- THOSE help the community.
You are right :) !

I mean using thoses engines to help people with their daily issues, sorry for the missleading here.
Fomar0153

Probably MV would have been a lot less user friendly (well, without Yanfly and the others), and the engine would have appeared as poor as the others for beginners, and usable for developpers with scripting skills ? Or maybe the most tenacious would have learnt some basic coding, and would actually have learnt something. Hard to tell. If these coders don't return for MZ, it sure will be interesting to see how RM popularity turns, and its uses.
I think new plugin developers are going to come out.

Or there will be others who, inspired by Yanfly, will take this opportunity to create their own plugin engine.

Yeah, Yanfly isn't there, but there's this pretty great opportunity for other plugin developers to shine.
If you build it, they will come.
RPG Maker communities have always been filled with selfless individuals who make scripts/plugins, music, graphic resources for the community which they have no intention of using themselves. I'm not going to discourage anyone who wants to do that.

The part of scripting and plugin making I don't like is providing support. Especially when 9 out of 10 times when it gets to the stage of you downloading their project, you discover they lied when you asked about having other scripts/plugins.

Partly why I wasn't that motivated to release public plugins during MV, too many people lied to me about not having other scripts, which I would always inevitably discover when I eventually ran out of ideas and asked them to upload their project for me to check.

I was better with XP and VX Ace where I put out scripts regularly. I am intending to make some public plugins for MZ.
author=Fomar0153
Partly why I wasn't that motivated to release public plugins during MV, too many people lied to me about not having other scripts, which I would always inevitably discover when I eventually ran out of ideas and asked them to upload their project for me to check.

Wow. That sounds like something a 6 year old would do. "Nwo mwommy. I dwidnt ewat awl that cwake on twe fwidge. itwwas the dowg!"
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Did someone say "New RPG Maker"?

EDIT: Ignore the trails of sweat, I've been out busting my ass digging up the yard.
unity
You're magical to me.
I remember that disc!
Here's today trailer for RMMZ :D (in japanese, sadly).

Trailer on Twitter
Sooz
Yep, that sure is basic RPG Maker functions...
although it wasn't really shown in depth in the video i'm very excited for the new animation tab. which is confirmed to involve a particle engine, and touchfuzzy has said that it will be explored in-depth in the next update.