RPG MAKER MZ!

FAQ Originally made my Archeia from RPG Maker Web

Frequently Asked Questions
Last Updated: 6/14/2020
═══════════════════════════

Q:Are MV assets compatible?

A:Yes to all asset types. However, some may require some tweaking.

--
Q:Will we be able to import our RMMV projects to RMMZ?

A:There is currently no public information in regards to this.

--
Q:Will RMMV plugins work with RMMZ?

A:No they will not. MZ's backend code has changed a lot to provide better performance and new features that some plugin developers will definitely appreciate.

--
Q:Is it true there are plugin developers that gained early access to create plugins?

A:There are no plugin developers that are given early access for the sake of plugin development. They were given early access for the sake of beta testing. There happens to be JP plugin devs from the MV era working on plugins for MZ. However none of the active EN plugin devs from the MV era are working on them for the official RPG Maker MZ release.

--
Q:Are there any confirmed new features for RMMZ?

A:Yes. MZ Mapping has Layers now and there is a new System 2 tab. What it contains and how they work remains to be seen.

--
Q:Can I apply for Early Access?

A:There is no application for Early Access as of the moment. We are unsure if there will be or if it is planned.

--
Q:Is Yanfly working for KADOKAWA/RPG Maker? Is he coming out of retirement for MZ?

A:No. We also don't know if he's going to make plugins for MZ.

--
Q:Will there be a Tiled plugin for MZ?

A:There is one planned to be made for MZ. Planned features include rotating and flipping tiles. If the mapping is still not to your liking, we will have it as an option. Please look forward to it.

--
Q:Will there be a Script Call List for MZ?

A:I'm working on it.

--
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Still with the awful & reused square chibi tiles?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
It's looking an awful lot like its predecessor, but will try to keep an open mind until more info is released...

Also, Steam suggests it won't be compatible with Mac OS Catalina, which would be a bummer if true.
I think people aren't wowed by this news. The sprites look like an improvement to me (would've preferred tall but at least they aren't needlessly cute).

The features seem like they are more quality of life improvements, which are welcome but may not be enough for people to make the switch.

This drip-drip-drip announcement style is still annoying, though!
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

And Steam complained about my video not containing enough gameplay!

A couple of screenshots. Looks familiar enough.

"With RPG Maker's map editor, you can create maps like you are drawing a picture."

So the maps will look like stick figures?

Why is this aspect ratio still the default?

Edit: Also why is this image so damn big!?!?!
It's a very muted announcement for something coming out in a couple of months and I have to admit I'm erring on the side of caution.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Sgt M
It's a very muted announcement for something coming out in a couple of months and I have to admit I'm erring on the side of caution.

Yeah this is honestly super underwhelming. They ask us to "get ready to be wowed" eight times. I was ready to be wowed when they announced a big update. I don't need the update to tell me to get ready to be wowed. I was ready! The update failed to wow me. No wows detected.

This is not how you build hype. Nor is it how you communicate to longtime customers if your new product will be something they actually want or not. This is stale, flat, bland. But we know the system requirements and that they're packing in a lot of resources. And I mean that's nice. But it tells us nothing.
In RPG Maker MZ, we've revamped the animation function!

Hope this means we can finally edit animations at their actual resolution instead of having to squint to try and see what goes where.

Speaking of resolution, where did you get that big screenshot, visitorsfromdreams? The ones on the official site are minuscule.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, they are from the steam page.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I'm really getting an EA vibe from this.
Release the same thing over and over again.
Change some features, remove some others, rinse and repeat every couple of years.

I hope they make me eat my words, but I doubt they will.

RPG Maker VX Ace #1 for life.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I could suppose "MV" could have stood for "Moble/Vista", but, I have no idea what "MZ" might stand in for in regards to this release. More Zany? Magical Kingdom of Zeal? Some kind of off DBZ reference? That might be more like RPG Maker Z, though.
Couple of things:

@Erilex: Dhux's Scar still remains one of my favorite RM games.

@kory_toombs: The comparison with EA is spot on and concerning. I still have my hopes up, but more for the assets that can be transferred over to MV then anything the actual program can do.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Marrend
I could suppose "MV" could have stood for "Moble/Vista", but, I have no idea what "MZ" might stand in for in regards to this release. More Zany? Magical Kingdom of Zeal? Some kind of off DBZ reference? That might be more like RPG Maker Z, though.

I would totally buy RPG Maker Magical Kingdom of Zeal! :D Powered by Lavos XDXD
Well that's about what I expected.

No idea what's different about this one...
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Marrend

RPG Maker Mazinger Z
RPG Maker Mew Zealand
unity
You're magical to me.
That's super awesome! :DDD But...

...Why was none of this in their announcement, on the coming-soon page, or on the Steam page? This is all stuff that potential customers would be interested in!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
More like MZzzzzzzz

because this news is putting me to sleep