[POLL] RMGAME HACKS

Poll

If I woke up and found that someone had hacked my game I'd feel... - Results

...Excited! Can't wait to see what they've done with it.
60%
...Wary. Will they steal my work? Will it be tasteful?
30%
...Disrespected. Someone is smearing my intimate, personal work.
10%

Pages: 1
I made a thread on RMW which is more verbose since the community there is a bit broader and y'all vets here so I'll go straight to the point.
What do you feel about "Rom Hacking" when applied to the RPG Maker community?
Do you remember any time it happened? Do you fancy the idea of indulging in it yourself, or of someone creating derivative work based on your own?

We are all indies, so barring you wanting to mod a 2002 game whose author has last been seen in 2008, we don't have to do anything illegally. PMing and asking permission is fine. Stating in your description that you're mod-friendly is fine, too.

So yeah, hopefully this can be a fun discussion. I feel like if this were more normalized and happened more often we'd have some really interesting projects flying around, but I don't know.
I put myself down as wary, but I'd say I'm somewhere between excited and wary.

I know of at least one person who has made mods and hacks of my games. It's honestly quite exciting to see what people will come up with and what they can learn from looking at someone else's game. Heck, I got my start in gamedev by doing Dragon Warrior romhacks, so it's kind of wild to think that someone is learning through a game that I made myself.

I did find it a little irksome at first but I also know that romhacking and datamining are eventualities. And as long as people aren't stealing assets, re uploading the game somewhere, claiming the game is theirs, etc, I'm usually pretty lenient (thought slightly less so with my commercial releases).

It also has the added benefit of putting me into better data-scrubbing practices when I release demos. Making sure not to include anything you don't want prying eyes to find is a good practice for any dev to get into.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that my stance really just applies to what are essentially fangames/fanhacks of my work, and things that are otherwise harmless. If someone was hacking my games with malicious intent I'd be a lot more strict about it.
I'd find it pretty cool if someone enjoyed my game so much they want to make a "hack" of it. Like if someone released a Grimps version with their own levels I would be all for it.

But with that said I would have issues if they tried to pass it off as their own thing or sell it. Depending on how much they changed, if they changed so much it's unrecognizable but still uses some code here and there I wouldn't care too much.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm okay if somebody tries to use CheatEngine, or something like that, to hack the gamestate to a level they are more comfortable with. For instance, some of my earlier work are probably waaaaaay to grindy, and giving the party an XP boost to skip some (or all) of that grind is something I would understand, and be supportive of.

I'm not necessarily against people looking into the project files to see how I did things either. That's how some people learn how to do stuff. I'd probably be tickled pink if people made fan-games of my stuff.

Though, on the other hand, I suppose I'm also a bit wary that someone would try to pass of my work as their own, possibly with the intent of making quick buck or two. Like, I'm thinking about the itch.io scandal, and Garnudo Games, here. I was lucky enough not to be hit with that, but, Darigaaz.
author=Marrend
Though, on the other hand, I suppose I'm also a bit wary that someone would try to pass of my work as their own, possibly with the intent of making quick buck or two. Like, I'm thinking about the itch.io scandal, and Garnudo Games, here. I was lucky enough not to be hit with that, but, Darigaaz.

That’s not hacking/modding thought, it’s just straight up stealing.
I'm wary if we're talking taking the games I made and modifying them and releasing them, at the same time I love randomisers and things so I guess I'm being hypocritical. If they're just playing around in them to learn how I did things etc then that's fine with me.

I do occaisonly gets messages asking for help with scripts I never made public.
I would find it pretty cool and look at what they modified. This would be an excellent opportunity to learn witch features they like the most and how they improved them.

I like to give the players tools to tweak my game in some ways.

MinST includes a map editor to build new maps... and a player used it to "adjust" the game difficulty.

If you read all the information on Wizard apprentice Lya’s game page, you’ll find a way to de-gamify the game: invincible player, all spells and infinite ammo.
Pages: 1