MARREND PLAYS WORLD OF XEEN!

Pages: first prev 12 last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The world that is Xeen exists as a two-sided rectangular plane, rather than a sphere. The main-line quest for World of Xeen is to prepare for the ritual that will make it a sphere.

Our task from the Dragon Pharaoh is as follows. First, we are to activate the generators at the four corners of Clouds. We are then to return to Darkside, visit the Elemental Planes, and awaken the Sleepers. We are then to free Prince Roland from his captivity on Darkside, and climb Darkstone Tower, on Clouds, and be Guests of Honor to the joining of Darkside and Clouds. Not just in shape, but in it's rulers, as Queen Kalindra and Prince Roland are to be married.

First thing is first, though. We left a lot of territory on Clouds unmapped, and we now find ourselves needing to visit it's corners. Town Portal back to Castleview, and use it's pyramid to flip back to Clouds!

From here, we can either visit the mirror to travel to Witch's Tower, and access the Water generator, or just hoof it to F4. We can then Town Portal back to Vertigo, or just go to Winterkill and hit up the Air Generator in A4.

The Earth Generator lies in A1, and the Fire Generator lies in E1. As you might recall, I had a few incomplete quests from Clouds. While they aren't worth all that much to my party at this point, I'll still do 'em while mapping out the remainder of the overworld of Clouds. You'll have to forgive me for not going over too much detail on this point. However, with the task of powering up the generators done, our next task is to awaken the Sleepers on Darkside.

The Elemental Planes on Darkside are accessible only through the Skyroad, and their entrances are in each corner of the map. It takes a bit of doing, and we run across some encounters, both civil...

And you thought I made this up for my Suikoden 3 LP? Yeah, no. Sorry to burst your bubble.

...and non-civil alike. However, we can effectively check that task off our list.

Prince Roland is currently in the dungeon of Castle Alamar. The path to him is blocked off, and I will need to present a pass to open the way. We have two keys that we found on Darkside that unlock locations that exist on Clouds. One is for the Dungeon of Death, obtained as a reward for helping Sandro in Necropolis. The other is to Dragon Tower, which we found in Castle Alamar, not terribly far from where we need to present the ID to free Prince Roland, if memory serves.

This kinda inclines me to go to Dragon Tower. While the dungeon might exist on Clouds, the context of the music, and Town Portal, is that of Darkside. Naturally, there are dragons we'll need to fight off as we climb the tower. There is a quest just inside the entrace to fetch a dragon egg. Which you can find down one of the side-passages for a reward of a million or so EXP, and suddenly finding yourself face-to-face with a Dragon King enemy. In the Cloudscape above Dragon Tower, we can find our key, provided we can answer the Riddle of the Dragon. There are, of course, hints about the answer scattered across the area. I believe there were three orbs and three books that provide such hints. The books give you sets of letters, whereas the orbs relay certain expereinces that both lead players to the answer of "infinity".

With keycard in hand, we can go back to the basement of Castle Alamar. We can obtain the key to Darkstone Tower, but, we apparently need yet another ID-card to open the path to Prince Roland. Of course we do.

Now, I know what you might be thinking. That I should visit Darkstone Tower next, as the key should be there. Now, my memory might not be the best, but, I don't thikn that's quite the path to follow for the end-game of World. Nor would be the Dungeon of Death. I have a different theory. I'll need to visit Castle Basenji, which is a castle/dungeon I thoroughly ignored on Clouds. It might hold an Amulet to one of the Sphinx in the desert. I think it's the Southern Sphinx. They are their own kind of locked dungeon...

You do not have my amulet. BEGONE!

...but, the Sphinx that has the keycard we actually need is the Northern Sphinx. Or maybe it's the other way around. I guess we'll see. Maybe I'm just going to end up wasting my time with this theory. Maybe not. That will be another session, though!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Castle Basenji is a den of werewolves, with a few Wizards thrown in for good measure. The was a quest in A1 that asks us to find the Scroll of Insight that lies here, so if nothing else, we can do at least that.

There's a door that takes a password on level 2 of the castle. It can be obtained by freeing prisoners in the dungeon. The Scroll we're looking for is on the next floor, naturally.

Our reward is the Amulet to the Northern Sphinx. Let's check it out!

You may enter. But, be warned. None shall leave alive!

The place has Stone Golems for guards, and has a number of traps that Curse my party. Of course it's the Cursed condition. There are also sarcophagi that cannot be opened, even with a character whose Strength is 255. I'm not sure what the minimum is, but, 510 is certainly enough to do it.

We cannot climb up unless we can answer the Sphinx's riddle. Though, maybe calling it a "riddle" isn't correct, because the prompt is "What's my name?" rather than a more cryptic message. The cryptic message comes more from the hints for the answer...

My first is in giant, but not in defiant.
My second is in mole, but not in mule.
My third is in lich, but not in stitch
My fourth is in guard, but not in Girard.
My fifth is in Xeen, but not in queen.

...than anything else. However, the upper level does not provide the other amulet. It provides some EXP and rewards for my party, but not much else. Darkstone, then? Why not. I've got nothing to loose by exploring it now. It's not like I won't come back here later anyway.

There's a message hidden within the statues here...

NWDA---Y-HNA
EO-NYFPIMTDG
WRTKOOLNI--I
-LHSURAGGAMC

SNTS-CKDEM
ODHAOO--L!
-SEGFRAST-
E--A-ANHE-

1-ITN-HNA-A
9BNHEMTDGS!
9ESEXI--IA-
4G--TGAMCG-

T-MEOE-FENN-TEAO
Y"PRNV4--G-DHE-N
PCU"-E-TDEOE--S!
EOT-LLOHUOFASYO-

...the translation of which is under the hide-tag...

New World thanks you for playing Might and Magic!
So ends the saga of Corak and Sheltem!
1994 begins the next Might and Magic saga!
Type "Computer" on Level 4 of (the Dungeon of) Death! See ya soon!

...but! There's a case at the top of the tower grants us the ID card we were probably looking for. Welp. So much for my memory!

Town Portal back to Necropolis, annnnnd...

...there we go. Almost there! We've one more task to perform before re-climbing Darkstone. The Cloudscape above Darkstone Tower is locked because <reasons>. It's up to our hardy party to obtain the key, unlock the path, and make this world round. The Queen, the Prince, and even the Dragon Pharoah are going to be busy with thier perparations. There is no body else to do it.

So. Where now? The Southern Sphinx, which Prince Roland has provided the amulet for. So, I wasn't far off from the truth by needing to go there, I just messed up the sequnece of events. Welp, time to flip sides again!

Some traps can be disabled for a total price of 4 million gold. The price is heavty, but, it might be worth it. This Sphinx has the same question-prompt ("What's my name"), and different clues...

Strange writings seem to give a lesson about the letter "R"
Strange writings seem to give a lesson about the letter "C"
Strange writings seem to give a lesson about the letter "A"
Strange writings seem to give a lesson about the letter "P"
Strange writings seem to give a lesson about the letter "I"
Strange writings seem to give a lesson about the letter "D"

...which messed me up a bit on first play. I was expecting another "my first is in..." set of clues, to be honest. While I might have looked this up previously, I pretty much know the answer now.

There is a resident at the top floor. The exchange with said resident is... interesting...

So, you've come to me for the Chime of Opening. What could you possibly offer me in exchange? I've been around for thousands of years, and I've seen everything.
Well, almost everything. There is a mysterious item that I haven't seen. It's called a wigdet. It's a hypothetical item of which its existance has never been proven. Have you heard of it?
>-Yes
No

Really? Do you have one?
->Yes
No

Would you like to trade it for the Chime of Opening?
->Yes
No

Then make it so!

...considering the name of the Sphinx, and the speaker...

...is Picard. Referencing Star Trek: The Next Generation...

...and we did get a widget from one of the side-quests I kinda glossed over during the previous session. Hence, the exchange can take place, and we can open the Cloudscape. It's a bit of a trek to get to the building proper, where the Ritual of Joining takes place, and the game provides several rest-points along the way. There are a number of side-roads that players could Teleport (or Jump) to that have signs that serve as advertisements of other games made by New World Computing, with the sign/ad for Might and Magic on the road proper, just before the building that triggers the end-game cut-scene. Which, by the way, looks a little something like...

...this. My final score...

...was this. Not really sure what the play-time here is, as the game save file makes no record of it. I don't even want to guess, because my sense of time is completely whacked.

As an aside, the next game to bear the name Might and Magic would be the spin-off, Heroes of Might and Magic - A Strategic Quest in 1995...

So, one year off the projection this game made. Not bad, actually.

...followed closely by Heroes of Might and Magic 2 - The Succession Wars in 1996, and the nigh-legendary Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - Restoration of Erathia in 1999. The spin-offs might be their own topic of conversation, however.

The license to Might and Magic was aquired by 3DO in 1998, and was aquired again by Ubisoft in 2006. During it's tenure at the license, 3DO contributed 4 main-line games to the series. Ubisoft, however, has made only one main-line entry since it acquired the lisence. I've played them all to varying degrees of completion. MM10 (the Ubisoft title) was... okay? Like, it played like a classic NWC M&M title, and had skills and ranks like the 3DO games. Still, something still felt... missing? Not sure if I can really put my finger on it, but, I don't think it's the lack of sci-fi element!

To close this LP, thanks for reading! I know I sometimes sounded annoyed, and maybe I could have gone over a bit more details in some areas. Still, I really had fun here, and hope it shows!
Pages: first prev 12 last