BRAINSTORMING BATTLE SYSTEM IDEAS INSPIRED FROM OTHER GAMES

Pages: 1
The thing is: I'm tired of the old turn based battle system, but when I try to come up with alternatives, all I can think of is grid-based tactical battle systems, which I love, but it's hard to make and can't be the only alternative.

What I like about TBS is that it looks like a variation of a grid board game, like chess or checkers, adapted to a battle system.

So what I want help brainstorming right now is: other possible battle systems that are inspired from other games (including board games).

First thing that came to my mind is this battle system that looks a lot like rock-paper-scissors. Though I used it in two games of mine, I'm sure I got that idea from someplace else, but I don't remember where:
https://rpgmaker.net/games/5876/images/43433/

What other typically non-battle games could be transformed into a battle system?

I'm also open to ANY other battle systems that are not too much like the ones previous mentioned.
For one of my games I tried to make a card based battle system. It was turn based, but for skills you could only use the skill if you draw the right card into your "hand". You start with a "deck" of say 20 cards and draw 5 at the beginning of every battle. More powerful cards require MP, so you have to balance your deck with mana cards as well as skill cards. In battle there is also an option to discard your hand and draw five new cards. It was based loosely on Magic the Gathering.

The idea was that as the game progresses, you can get new cards and change your deck, but that's basically where it all fell apart for me.
Depending how unique you want to make your game the possibilities are almost endless.

You could have one based on total energy for a fight in which case the player chooses all their moves which are played out againat the enemies unknown moves. IE. You have enough energy to cast fire, block and attack. You don't know the enemy will bite, dodge, charge. Or whatever. The winner is determined by the most points knocked off the opponent at the end of everyone's energy.

You could also have predetermined outcomes based on equipped weapon and defense versus enemy weapon and defense. So if you have a nail gun and a super soaker which shoots acid, but they have a wooden shield and rain coat, you do no damage.

Maybe your system is timed reaction battle where the player has to hit the right key at the right time to get max damage or max defense. Perfect timing, max. Miss the timing, miss the attack or dodge.

With RPG maker, uniqueness usually means sacrifice. The more unique your systems the more time or variety you need to sacrifice. The default system allows for hundreds of items to be added effortlessly, but it feels the same as other games. A totally unique system is more interesting, but as more items are added the complexity and time involved in the project increase.

If you hate the default system, I suggest looking at a unique system with limited "items." For example, a few armors and a half dozen spells can make for a great game experience for a smaller game which focuses on mechanics, where each item/spell has a specific advantage and disadvantage from others.

If you're looking to make a huge game but still want to have a more complex system, Hero's Realm has some great examples of how to maximize the default system to be more interesting.

Unique and massive are rarely a combination for game completion for an individual developer.
You can always look outside of RPGs for inspiration.

My game has a big focus on consumables in combat, ammo for weapons etc which cost money, as such choices have to be made on which encounters the player will use resources in. It was inspired by Resident Evil 4. I like the idea of trying to reinterpret systems from other genres into RPGs.
I've always wanted to do souls style combat in a turn based game, where every action has either a startup or recovery period or both as well as TP costs. An "R2 attack" would deal big damage but takes a turn to start up and if it misses, you incur a defense decrease for a turn (and since most R2s have some hit of armor, could boost defense slightly during it's use). Defend command would function more like an evasive roll, where you get a ~50% evasion boost for a turn but if you do get hit, take 1.5 damage. I'd also make magic the same as DKS'1s magic system with limited casts but super strong. All with an ATB system of course.
Pages: 1