[RM2K] I'M OLD. HELP ME CATCH UP ON CHANGES SINCE 2006.

Pages: 1
Hi community,

I created a game back in 2006 (The Sword and the Fish) and have just let it be for 15+ years. Now I'm dad age and I just updated it over the past year to give it a PG-rated face lift so my nephews and students can play it (it is currently pending approval, The Sword and the Fish 2020). A lot has changed and I have some basic questions.

1. I have the oldest school version of RM2K there is, the original Don Miguel one from the age of Napster. I've kept it alive through 4-5 laptops. I own Steam and could easily buy RPG Maker 2000 or what have you - except I am unlikely at this point to make another RPG, and would go with something newer.

Question: if I bought the Steam version from 2015, would it run Sword and the Fish? Would it sync with my pre-existing RTP and custom folders, etc?

I ask because...

2. Nowadays when I try to install my latest Sword and the Fish 2020 (I'm testing it before giving it to my students or nephews) the install no longer works. RTP installs. My font fixed seems to work. RM2000.exe gets an error about authenticity and the SHELL.dll file after freezing on the last file. It also appears to only install in the C drive else greta confusion.

Question: anyone know a work around for this?

3. Finally, are all these folders etc still necessary? Is there an easier way I get my game into the hands of the waiting kids? I just want to know that when I link them to, say, a compressed zip or something better (even a link to the game on here, say) that they have an easy time playing the game. They don't need the program, per se.

A big thank you in advance. I have had a few headaches finalizing this project after a year or content edits to trim it PG and I just want it done.

Merci!
Scumdrop
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
1. Yes. The Steam versions are specifically set to update projects from the Don Miguel bootleg software.

2. I've never had install and run problems so am not the person to ask.

3. The new versions come with compression agents so that you can package your games...but then most of the people who play RPG Maker games will complain and scream at you on their streams (I'm totally not talking about Liberty), so you may as well just stick with the old way.

De rien!
Things have changed since 2006? Shit.
author=Scumdrop
2. Nowadays when I try to install my latest Sword and the Fish 2020 (I'm testing it before giving it to my students or nephews) the install no longer works. RTP installs. My font fixed seems to work. RM2000.exe gets an error about authenticity and the SHELL.dll file after freezing on the last file. It also appears to only install in the C drive else greta confusion.

Question: anyone know a work around for this?

I'm not 100% sure, but if I'm remembering right - in the same folder as your installer, there should be an .lzh file. It's an archive, and you can use 7-Zip or whatever to extract it. Those are all the files you'd need to run your game, so you can just skip installation altogether.
Found no .lzh on my computer.

Compression agents to quickly make a self-running game would be ideal, and perhaps worth the price of the ticket alone. After all, I'm just getting the game to kiddos, nothing fancy. It would overcome problem #2 as well because, well, even though the install 'breaks' at the point mentioned, I just tried running the game itself REGARDLESS and lo and behold it seemed to work fine. As in, it installed everything before it claims to have broken.

I think maybe buying the Steam version might be the answer.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=kentona
Things have changed since 2006? Shit.

Yeah, Barrack Obama is the president now.

author=Scumdrop
I think maybe buying the Steam version might be the answer.

It might be. I think it's possible to get the revised versions drm free too and they can get super cheap on sale. 2k's mostly the same, but 2k3 has some new and improved features. The venerable engine is quite a beast.
Another question, easily answered I think:

Any way to port a RPG2K game to an Android? I've dropped all the files on my phone, but the exe won't run. Inno Extract couldn't recognize the folder with the exe in it either.
You can do that with EasyRPG. There might be a few glitches though, and if you had any .AVI files in your game, they won't play properly.
author=Sidewinder
You can do that with EasyRPG. There might be a few glitches though, and if you had any .AVI files in your game, they won't play properly.

SIR, I AM IN YOUR DEBT.

In 10 minutes or so I ported my whole game onto my phone and made my first save. It runs like a CHARM and I'm absolutely stoked it works. Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Pages: 1