[RM2K3] HOW TO MAKE GAMES RUN SMOOTHLY ON MODERN PCS

Pages: 1
Hi all,

I've been eyeballing several fantastic looking RM2K3 games to play them on my PC. Though my experience with Lufia V - For The Savior has made me a bit wary. Apparently, RM2K3 games and modern Graphics cards don't play nice. When starting an RM2K3 game on my PC, it switches to Fullscreen, making the game look blurry and the framerate takes a notable hit. When switching to windowed mode, everything looks razor sharp and the framerate is top notch, though... now the screen is way too small. Secondly, when playing with an (XBOX360) controller, it defaults movement to the analogue stick, with no way to switch it to the D-pad. Also, there is some kind of input lag, so you'll walk around like a drunken sailor.

So, the way I fixed the screen problems while playing Lufia V:
- Open AntiMicro to remap keyboard arrow keys to the XBOX360 controller
- Open the game
- Press F4 to switch to windowed mode
- Open Windows Magnifying Glass
- Zoom to 200%, and recenter the screen on a black background
- Connect my PC to a TV with HDMI and zoom a bit further on the TV, to make the borders above and below disappear from the screen.

That way the game runs fantastically. Though, it feels a bit overcomplicated to have to redo these steps every time I start the game.

So, how have you guys worked around these RM2K3 issues? Are there know fixes, patches, other solutions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

My PC Setup:
Windows 8.1
Intel I7
Nvidia Geforce GTX760M
I'd be interested to know what can be done from the development side to make 2k3 games work better on modern systems, so players don't need to worry about this on their end.
Hey there, the Steam (or RPGMakerWeb) version of RM2k3 has a lot of fixes for exactly this kind of thing. The new RPG_RT.exe starts in Windowed Mode, uses GDI to render and has a lot more scaling options (F5 menu for video options).

You can differentiate the RPG_RT version by icon: The old one has a sword on yellow background, while the new version has Brian (blue-haired guy) holding a sword. If the original game does not patch the RPG_RT.exe in any way, you could just open up the game in the Steam RM2k3 and let it convert to the new format. You could also try simply replacing the RPG_RT.exe, I don't know if that works off the top of my head.

(This doesn't work with DynRPG or patches of any kind, of course, since the Steam RM2k3 does not support those.)
Thanks! @goldenroy

Those are really useful tips! I didn't know about the difference between the different RTPs. I see now that Lufia V uses an old RTP and also DynRPG patches. So, I guess my experience could be much better with other RM2K3 releases. Next on the list is Theia, so I'm curious to see how that one performs!

Also, someone having any experiences with EasyRPG player and RM2K3 games?
i had the same problem until i found easy rpg and now am using it and the rpg maker 2000/2003 games i play now runs smoothly
If you have your game patched with DynRPG you can use this plugin with your game, so that when other people play your game it will render properly, even in full screen.

https://rpgmaker.net/engines/rt2k3/utilities/195/

If the game works without dynrpg
Try easyrpg within retroarch as core,
you can use xbox pad, fullscreen and crt shaders.

Pd: I shared some graphics, music,
etc with the author of Lufia 5,
since I left Lufia SDK before to make
the custom menu and cbs
Thanks! I'll notice the author of Lufia V too!
Pages: 1