[RM2K3] PROBLEMS WITH "WAIT FOR KEY INPUT" COMMAND

Pages: 1
UPDATE (8/9/2020):
Apparently, the "Wait for Key Input" command does not function properly in battle, causing the battle to freeze indefinitely - regardless of player input. I'll be adjusting this skill/'event' to simply read the stats through standard text boxes. Though this isn't the most aesthetically pleasing fix.. It works, and that's really all that matters. If I find a prettier workaround, I'll update this post with new details.

I'm trying to implement a custom stat-checking skill into the game I'm making at the moment, but I've run into a bit of an issue with the "Wait for Key Input" command. I've attached pictures for reference.

This is what the skill is supposed to look like.. for the most part. After viewing the description, the player should be able to press a key and see the enemy's stats. After doing that, they should be able to press another key and conclude the stat-check.
Unfortunately, after displaying the picture related to the enemy's description, the game gets completely stuck. It should be waiting for the player to press a key, but absolutely nothing seems to work.

Here's my Troops Tab... 'code', for lack of a better word. All this does is animate/display the enemy description and stats when the "STATCHECK" Switch is activated through the associated skill. Based on what's appearing on the screen during the battle, it seems as though the game is getting stuck on the first "Wait: Wait for Key Input" command (beneath my second Comment).

The "assessDisplay" Common Events are only used for the letterbox the text will appear on top of. assessDisplayON makes the letterbox appear, assessDisplayOFF makes it go away. I'll attach pictures of these Events as well.

If all else fails, I'll just replace the "Wait for Key Input" with a timed estimate instead, but I'd really prefer to let the player read at their own pace. I feel like I must be missing something really obvious. Any help or recommendations to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
author=kaine87
Wait for the key pressed freeze the game in battle.
Here you can find some info.
https://wiki.easyrpg.org/development/technical-details/common-events-battle-2003

Thank you for this, this is a great resource. I had no idea this was a well-known problem, I couldn't find much information about this bug when I googled it, but that's exactly what I experienced. I brought this thread to the attention of one of the RPG Maker Discord servers, and I received similar feedback.
I'll be adjusting this 'event' to be read through standard text boxes instead, and I'll update my initial post accordingly.
Wait... Before you scrap your work, have you thought of creating a simple "Wait 0.1 sec" loop, and having the loop exit only when a certain key is pressed? (Although, I don't know if it's possible to create a loop in the battle event commands, or if you can even check for key input there.)
author=Zachary_Braun
Wait... Before you scrap your work, have you thought of creating a simple "Wait 0.1 sec" loop, and having the loop exit only when a certain key is pressed? (Although, I don't know if it's possible to create a loop in the battle event commands, or if you can even check for key input there.)

I haven't scrapped anything, though the Common Events and Troops related to this post are currently going unused.
I may give this a shot, but with the current adjustments I've made to the stat display, it may be easier to simply utilize the text box, thanks to its flexibility with displaying variable numbers. If I give your method a shot, I'll be sure to update the post with relevant information.
Sorry about the late response!
I'm not sure if this would work, but instead of using the wait for key command in your event commands try creating an invisible/empty message box, with your picture ontop of it, displaying what you'd like. This will stop any event commands from executing until the player exits the message box, by pressing a button, at which point the event command will continue executing the rest of the commands in that page.

I've never used this version of rm2k3, so I'm not sure if you can overlay pictures ontop of message boxes or create an invisible message box, but if you can then this should solve your problem.
Pages: 1