MOON

Pages: 1
If you have a Nintendo Switch I strongly recommend picking up Moon that has a translation officially released today. It's originally a PS1 game made back in the days of prerendered backdrops made by ex-Super Mario RPG devs.

I bring this topic up cause I think it's worth discussing within the context of RPGMaker since this game had an influence on games like Undertale (not made in RPGMaker I know but, you get where I'm coming from with this) Some say this makes fun of RPGs or is the "anti-RPG" but I personally think it's more of an exploration of the genre. Objectively speaking it's not an RPG at all, but rather an NPC schedule game similar to Majora's Mask. Aside from the real time system it's actually a relatively simple game just with a very meta narrative hanging over it that has implications... Regardless I think it's worth playing for anyone interested in making RPGs or games sort of in that format. It certainly left an impression on me when I played this with a limited translation guide awhile back.

Some warning though, the beginning is a bit rough. Your life decreases as you explore the town and you basically die before night fall. It's essentially trial and error figuring out which tasks you can do within the time limit, then expanding that time limit when you complete them. My advice is to read the downloadable manual and get certain tasks out of the way (minor gameplay spoilers):
You want to deliver the bread to the Grandma as soon as you can, rest, then talk to the king when he's in his throne room to get his card, which then basically unlocks a whole bunch of stuff that'll give you a better clue on what to do next. You can eat food along the way to make this a bit easier. Also the talkable pink bird will basically hint at this.

Though part of the game is taking your time and figuring out how the world works, just know what you're getting into is all I'm saying. Though the intro before the actual game is extremely enjoyable and straight forward.

Anyway discuss if you played it (or trying to figure something out), I'm curious on what people's thoughts are.
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah I'm very hype to try this out but I've kept myself pretty blind about what I'm getting in to, as I'm familiar with a lot of people's respect and admiration for the game (and some of the creative talent behind it) but I know very little about the game itself yet.

Thanks for the head's up about the early difficulty, that's good to know, I really want to go in with as little knowledge as possible, but if things get hard, it's always good to have something to fall back on :DDD
It's now on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/1714580/moon_Remix_RPG_Adventure/

and PS4/PS5

So now there's no excuse to not play it other than not having 20 dollars on hand.
I forgot to grab this on switch. I'll get it when Jan rolls around. Thanks for the reminder Darken!♥

To those who haven't gotten it yet,
...this is rpgmaker homework, fools!
Pages: 1