GOOD IDEA, BAD IDEA

Pages: 1
Yeah, I'll openly admit I'm ripping off this idea from Animaniacs, but I figured we could come up with a few good idea, bad ideas when it comes to video games.

Good Idea: Allowing a player to name their own character.

Bad Idea: Allowing them to name any other character.

I suppose one of the more notable examples of why you shouldn't let someone name other characters is probably the old school Pokemon games where you could name your rival. I still remember giving him names like asshole and whatnot as a kid. Though, I believe this issue extends beyond just rival characters on the grounds that Spooony in his let's play/review for Final Fantasy 8 decided to name Rinoa as "A Whore" and named her dog "Anal". That way you could get such great lines during battles as "A Whore used Anal Cannon!".
Good Idea, Bad Idea! I remember that! I actually was wondering why it hasn't become a meme..

Speaking of names, one time there was a character who shows up later in the game who ended up having the same name I gave my character. It was kind of confusing in conversations but also pretty darn funny. =P Although it made me wonder if games should take into account somehow, by renaming the other character behind your back, or by letting you know about it before finalizing your character. Maybe it isn't really needed, but it would be nifty to see a game go the extra mile like that.

Anyway as for the topic I may have to sit on it for a bit, as it's hard to come up with things to post where the good idea isn't just the absence of the bad idea, or vice versa. (e.g. "Good idea: not having microtransactions. Bad idea: Having microtransactions")
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Finally, a new thread I think I can get into for more than one post. Aside from Dudesoft's Fakemon thread, that is. I'll see if I can back up at least my Good Ideas from games I like.

Good Idea! Equipment customization for different playstyles. (Fallout 4 <3)
Bad Idea! Equipment customization as cosmetics and/or tiered weapons. (Skyrim </3)

Good Idea! DLC adventures to extend a fun game. (Anything Bethesda)
Bad Idea! DLC adventures that are a slogfest. (Far Harbor in Fallout 4, and you cannot convince me otherwise)

Good Idea! Quests that have you play the game differently than normal, or do more than just collect/slay X amount of something. (most of 'em in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin)
Bad Idea! Quests with convoluted or difficult things to achieve, because completionists are nerds. (same game; "Art of the Zephyr" is weirdly difficult for me with the DS's D-pad; can also apply to most PS4 games to get the Platinum trophy, really)

Good Idea! Dev rooms, with or without them being an Easter egg (Final Fantasy 4, Pokemon R/B/Y, FF7's debug rooms, etc)
Bad Idea! Dev rooms that are empty. (Final Fantasy 3 on the DS ;-;)

Oddly enough Zeello your story reminds me of a playthrough I did for Swordcraft Story on the GBA. I had chosen to play as the female character as I always do and decided to name her Amaris (Promised by God). A choice that led to some minor confusion. After all, this is the same name your mom gets in the game.
====================

Good Idea: Giving the player access to post game content that helps expand upon the story and helps the side characters grow and develop as characters. (Tales of Legendia)

Bad Idea: Giving the player access to post game content that amounts to little more than grinding or meaningless battles. (Disgaea)(Custom Robo)

I suppose some would probably point out that the Disgaea franchise is basically all about grinding in order to build the ultimate character, but it doesn't change the fact that it's really difficult to get yourself in the mood to take on the post game content more then once. After all, it's really hard to convince anyone it's worthwhile to build a weapon so powerful it can inflict 10,000,000,000 points of damage more than once.

And the post game content in Custom Robo is just a series of tournaments that feature various restrictions on the player.
author=thesacredlobo
Yeah, I'll openly admit I'm ripping off this idea from Animaniacs, but I figured we could come up with a few good idea, bad ideas when it comes to video games.

Good Idea: Allowing a player to name their own character.

Bad Idea: Allowing them to name any other character.

I suppose one of the more notable examples of why you shouldn't let someone name other characters is probably the old school Pokemon games where you could name your rival. I still remember giving him names like asshole and whatnot as a kid. Though, I believe this issue extends beyond just rival characters on the grounds that Spooony in his let's play/review for Final Fantasy 8 decided to name Rinoa as "A Whore" and named her dog "Anal". That way you could get such great lines during battles as "A Whore used Anal Cannon!".
there are a few more bad examples of flawed games )
1. Too much small dialogue

Although we advise writers to include more dialogue in their books, it's a bad idea to saturate your books with 'small talk' for no reason.

If your character is going to chat about the weather or someone's health, there can only be one of three reasons for that.

Dialogue moves the plot along. It's important for the reader to know how the character is feeling if his or her condition affects the denouement of the scene throughout the story.

Dialogue reveals something significant about the character. A character who is not going on a trip when the weather is bad has to justify it somehow.

Dialogue reveals something significant about the environment. Characters can talk about the weather, time and place when something changes in the environment.

2. Action without purpose

If you want pointless action, you're better off watching a TV show or playing THIS WAS SOME ELABORATE SPAM RIGHT THERE . A good writer loads the character with those actions that are bound to affect the development of the story. Sure, your characters' lives are filled with small unimportant moments, but we don't have to read about every single one of them.

Here's what Nancy Kress, author of Nancy Kress, Dynamic Characters, has to say about that:
"The mistake I encounter most often begins where the author gives a reference to his character, his background. It's much better to get the characters on stage as soon as possible".
Pages: 1