52%
No
21%
Maybe
15%
Not Qualified to Offer an Opinion on the Topic
10%

Pages: 1
I've definitely heard a few people complain about how the main series of Pokemon games are growing a bit stale at this point. And while, I'd like to offer a useful opinion on this topic. I really haven't spent any significant time on any games in the franchise since Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald on the GBA. So, I really don't have a lot of insight to offer on this topic. While, I do own copies of Sun and Moon I haven't spent any actual time on them. And I gave up on X or Y shortly after getting access to my Kanto starter Pokemon.

And I haven't spent any time on the competitive side of Pokemon. In fact, the bulk of my hours in Pokemon games are probably in gens 1 and 2 where I easily have over 500+ hours in them. Jeez, I still remember spending so much time on grinding in Pokemon Yellow in order to try and get all of my Pokemon to level 50+ that I actually managed to max out the clock at 255 hours and 59 minutes.

Though, I've probably got way more time in the second generation where I've done multiple challenge runs. I've done everything from beating the game with a team comprised of nothing but baby Pokemon to every mono type run you could think of. Albeit, I had to cheat in a few of the runs to even make them possible. After all, you really don't gain access to any Steel or Dark type Pokemon in Generation 2 until much later in the game. And most of them can only be gained through trading.

Though, I suppose I'm moving away from the poll's question so much as side tracking into just how much I enjoy the early games before we got into the madness of having over 800+ Pokemon.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I have only ever played one Pokemón game: Pokemon Red for Gameboy Color. It's a personal all-time favorite and I have never felt the need to buy games that were essentially advertised as the same game with more Pokemón to find.
author=pianotm
I have never felt the need to buy games that were essentially advertised as the same game with more Pokemón to find.

I'd say the early gens offered more then that. Gold/Silver/Crystal introduced the idea of held items which could up the power of your moves or allow you to carry berries that would offer benefits to the player like HP recovery or status effect removal. And all of the games introduce new moves which can help expand your strategic options. A good example of this can be scene in one of my mono runs for FireRed or LeafGreen where I used a Butterfree to sweep Giovanni's entire team. And this Butterfree was around the same level as Giovanni's Pokemon, but thanks to running the move set Sunny Day, Solar Beam, Psychic, and Sleep Powder it was able to compensate for it's critical weakness to moves like Rock Blast by putting his Pokemon to sleep and then setup Sunny Day in order to rapidly spam Solar Beams since you don't have to waste a turn on charging Solar Beam while Sunny Day is in effect.

The second generation also introduced the Steel and Dark types in order to help nerf the OP normal and psychic type Pokemon from the first generation. Though, I'll admit Alakazam was still pretty broken thanks to how easy it was to access the elemental punches in Generation 2. Though, I'll admit I wished they had put more steel and dark type Pokemon in Generation 2 as well as made them easier to get a hold of near the start of the game.

And generation 2 also split the special stat into two categories which meant Pokemon like Alakazam were no longer tanky when it came to moves that did damage based on the users special stat. And Pokemon like Chansey were no longer offensively viable because of their lack of special attack.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald on the other not only introduced new moves, but also introduced players to the notion of Pokemon having special abilities that could offer the player advantages in or out of combat. Zigzagoon for instance can randomly find items for the player thanks to it's special ability being pickup. While Pokemon like Hypno have the special ability insomnia so they can't be put to sleep.

And the 4th generation introduced the special/physical split. Thanks to this water moves no longer necessarily did damage based on the users special attack stat, but could do damage based on their physical attack stat which was mana from heaven in the eyes of Gyarados.

And this concept applies to every move in the game. So whether a move did damage from your special attack or physical attack stat was controlled by how the move was delivered. This even helped Hitmonchan to a certain extent since it now meant the elemental punches were making use of it's superior physical attack stat. Of course, how useful this was is a bit in the air. Since, I'm guessing Hitmonchan was pretty irrelevant by the time of Generation 4 thanks to power creep.
Last one I played was sun and moon and the one before that was diamond. I find the beginning of the games incredibly tedious because they (rightfully) assume you're 7 years old and haven't played a pokemon game before. I know I'm going to pick 3 basic starters I know I'm going to run into rodent pokemon in the beginning then work my way up to the broader types, I know the plot starts fairly simple and ends on interdimensional pokemon. The things that are actually different each game are buried within the very samey ironclad structure that never changes.

It doesn't matter what I say given that Sword/Shield sold insanely well. They do not need to reinvent the wheel at this time.

Judging the series in its entirety and being wishful I don't really like the direction it has gone in art wise/world building. If you look at old Red/Blue concept art there is something unsettling about the ideas initially, some of the early Manga had a strange vibe to it. There's a blend between contemporary setting and scrappy scifi. A lot of my assumptions as a kid about the Pokemon world was a lot weirder than the later games ended up cementing. While the recent series does play with some concepts (pokemon rights activists, beings beyond pokemon) the current Pokemon setting feels way too utopian scifi most of the time as opposed to something more contemporary and questionable.

I guess it'd be cool to see an indie knockoff completely ignore the idea of making it a franchiseable game (like Temtem basically attempts) and just capitalize more on the simple weirdness the originals had.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I never really got the hype behind Pokemon. Like, as far as the TCG is concerned, I was introduced to Magic: The Gathering when Fallen Empires was the latest set (Which was.. 1994? I feel incredibly old.), but didn't really dig deep into it until around maybe Shards of Alara (Which was... 2008? Was it really that long ago?). The anime, I've never watched. As for the video game series, I think I might have played maybe an hour of Red or Blue via a Game Boy emulator (I forget the name of the emulator) back in the day, but, like, I could be playing FF6 via ZSNES instead?

Like, I think there might be a certain mystique of being able to play it anywhere (by virtue of generally being on hand-held systems), and being able to trade (or fight against?) Pokemon with friends. By only emulating it, that mystique was certainly lost on me.
I just finished the postgame quest in Pokemon Shield and have over 220 hours logged in the game. So I'm gonna have to say no. Especially since this entry is heads and shoulders above all the titles that came before. If that's what getting stale means, them more series should do it. =P
I still don't understand (outside of a few like Pokemon Yellow and Let's Go Eevee!) why all of the starters have to be Grass, Fire, Water.

I have never played a pokemon game (except GO!) so maybe there's some logical reason to this beyond 'As Is Tradition'.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
For me, the final Pokemon games I cared about were the 4th Gen ones. That and the Mystery Dungeon games for the Nintendo DS. They finally split physical and special stat moves into specific moves, and they did remakes of Gold and Silver. Even if there are Pokemon from 5th Gen and onward that I like, the game as a whole somehow keeps getting more convoluted, but also becomes more hand-holding, at the same time.
author=kentona
I still don't understand (outside of a few like Pokemon Yellow and Let's Go Eevee!) why all of the starters have to be Grass, Fire, Water.

I have never played a pokemon game (except GO!) so maybe there's some logical reason to this beyond 'As Is Tradition'.

Well outside of the obvious answer of tradition at this point. I'd also point out the fact that Pokemon is just a massive game of rock, paper, scissors, when you get right down to it. As such, it makes sense to go with the least complicated trio possible to represent this rock, paper, scissor, relationship with fire beating grass, grass beating water, and water beating fire.
I've been playing a lot of Pokemon over the past 3 years, ever since a co-worker recommended it to me. Pokemon grows stale the same way Uno or Poker or Chess grows stale. It's all about how you play it.

At the beginning, it was fun to play with what are essentially hundreds of playable characters. But that soon became boring after I played through most of the generations. The stories are tailored for the intended demographic, young teens and children. Within the past year, the most fun part has been organizing pokemon to take on the difficult Battle Tower that exists past the end of most of the games, where you are put to the test in configuring what the games are all about: the pokemon.

Each pokemon is a puzzle that needs to be solved. Sandslash has excellent Attack and Defense, but awful Special everything and bad Speed. Mawile is part of two good Types, but has bad attributes. Liepard is very fast and powerful, but frail. How to maximize the efficacy of each one? Maximize their strengths? Cover their weaknesses? I have had success with both.

The great thing about most pokemon is that there are multiple ways to configure each one. Boltund has equal Attack and Special Attack... one of its Abilities is Strong Jaw, supporting the Attack, and another of its Abilities is Competitive, supporting its Special Attack. You can make a set of moves for each one and try them out. Sudowoodo gets Head Smash, which has recoil damage... but, it also gets the Ability Rock Head, which nullifies recoil damage! Then, which Item do you go for? It's hard for it to get old.

The recently released Isle of Armor module for Sword and Shield introduced a game called Type Restriction Battling, where you're only allowed to use pokemon who are part of a certain type to try and win a string of 5 matches in a row. I've been spending time building up teams of 3 pokemon that I've never used before, to try and take each type's challenge. It feels really great to discover an effective strategy by choosing a combination of Moves, Abilities, Items, Effort Values, and Natures that all work together in harmony.
Pages: 1