THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING YOUR BASEBALL EQUIPMENT BAG AKA SPORTS IN GAMES

Pages: 1
Sporting equipment required for baseball has evolved with time. Bats, gloves, mitts, safety gear like batting helmets, chest protectors, visors and shin guards and baseball cleats have all become part of today's standard equipment. Lugging around all this gear from game to practice can easily become tiresome especially if you are using an old duffel bag for storage.

I mean, I know I consider whether I need one, especially when gammaking. But how else we gonna hit dem homeruns and shit? Gotta meet the goals yo, amirite or amirite? I'm fuckin right.

So yeah, baseball. Shit sport. Who'd wanna play that anyway?

What sports do you put in your games, if you do? What are some of the best sports in a game?

if you say fuckin blitzball ur wrong

Speaking of baseball, I didn't hate the batting centre in the Yakuza games. Once I got a handle on it, of course. The latter games have better versions but it's still kinda hard. Once I figured you could hit the lines to double/triple/quadriple up points, booyah, I was winning.

And bowling was pretty fun in the games, too.

IDK, I'm not a big fan of sports in games, to be honest. They either seem a bit ham-fisted or weird, especially in fantasy settings. There are of course games focussed around specific sports, but they don't really count since the whole game is that particular sport or a combination of various ones into one game.

As for my own games, I did have one game with snowboarding (yes, on RPG Maker). It wasn't bad, come to think of it, and it's pretty easy to event. Very simplistic but you could get speed ups/downs and had to dodge trees and shit. No game over/end but score was timed, so you could wipe out on trees and still get to the end without problem.

I did try my hand at a dodgeball game once but it was pretty bad due to collision detection in RM being pants. I don't think I ever bothered doing other sports tho.
why yes, I did hijack a spam thread to talk about game dev.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Real honest to goodness answer? Tennis. Tennis is the best game for in-game games. Badminton is a tradition that goes back to the 18th century if I recall.

But then ya got dodgeball and football(soccer) which are also fun. Hockey does not work, don't put hockey in your game. Don't gimmie that look okay ice physics are best reserved for things like the megamans where you have direct control over your jump arc. Can you imagine ice in Castlevania? The answer is no because if that had ever been you bet yer ass you'd remember that nonsense. You can't hit a puck with a whip. (Counterpoint: I just remembered Ice Hockey which is objectively the greatest game of all time. Novice developers cannot hope to improve on Ice Hockey so to try is an act of highest hubris)

Nor should you put in football(american) because that's just normal gameplay half the time anyway bumpin' into giant crocodiles et cetera; unsuitable for minigames. Y'know what's not? Basketball. You can get away with basketball but never in an RPG. Basketball for action games only. That's the rules. Like traveling, it cannot be done without the ability to jump. No one ever made a three-pointer without jumping so if you don't get the reach you don't get the peach.

Sheep herding is also an acceptable sport to put in games and tons of fun. It was first introduced in twilight princess and although they tried to improve on the concept as the years went by all attempts tragically failed as they were unable to improve on the basic gameplay loop until Pokemon Sword & Shield where they at last finally perfected the art form. Include also the sport of 'fencing' and 'martial arts' you can't go wrong there regardless of genere. Once you start to get to shot-put that's where the line starts getting a little fuzzy. Is Duck-Hunt shot-put?

OH I almost forgot about GOLF. I dun like golf but golf is a good game for in-game games all the different kinds of golf doesn't matter throw 'em in there. There's no better game to make computerized than golf. Virtual golf is, in fact, superior than actual golf. This is a sport apparently. It is 5:00am.

I don’t really put sports in my games, but their items and equipment are a different story. Usually in more modern titles I’ll use sporting tools as weapons or equipment.

I don’t think sports can be out of place in modern and fantasy settings. Having a sport, game or competition in your setting can make the world more realistic and more lived in if executed correctly. It really depends on how well integrated it is, and of course the writing.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Ya did good, Libs. Ya did good.

I seem to recall playing golf Spheda in Dark Cloud 2. That was forever ago, so, I think my only comment there is that it was okay. My favorite fishing mini-game was probably in Breath of Fire 3. I mean, when it comes to fishing, mini-games, it has to be a Breath of Fire game, right? The racing mini-game in Yakuza Kiwami was a neat distraction, and was probably my favorite among the numerous mini-games the game had.

For my own part, there was a game I made pre-RMN that was supposed to be a Breath of Fire fan-game, and included a fishing mini-game of course. They way I wrote the eventing, it was similar to a Suikoden duel, in which the fish did X, and you could react in three different ways, and so forth. To say the least, I wasn't really happy with the execution, and was a factor that made me want to scrap the thing.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
Trails of Cold Steel II had snowboarding. It uh... It wasn't great. And Tokyo Xanadu had skateboarding, which was objectively worse from a controls and physics standpoint, but better as a concept I feel.

But Blitzball? Blitzball is awful unless you read all the in-game guides and really learn it. After figuring out the basics, I found myself able to enjoy it at times, but never came to full embrace it.

Persona 5 Royal had Darts. The easiest form of darts you will ever find in a video game. And batting cages, but I don't think a batting cage can really count as a sport on it's own since it is purely a reflex.

I think card games work better in RPGs. Trails of Cold Steel III traded the clunky snowboarding and boring fast-paced Blade for a refined Yu-gi-oh Lite experience.
author=Isrieri
Basketball. You can get away with basketball but never in an RPG. Basketball for action games only. That's the rules. Like traveling, it cannot be done without the ability to jump. No one ever made a three-pointer without jumping so if you don't get the reach you don't get the peach.

How very dare you

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden begs to differ
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is a transcendent being that can't be encapsulated by such basic human definitions like "sport in a game."

Anyway, I'm not sure whether you'd call it a "sport" but I sunk waaaay more time into Yakuza Kiwami's Pocket Circuit than I want to admit. Partially because it was a lot of run tweaking my car to match tracks, but mostly because it was hilarious to see stone-faced Kiryu emotionally invested in a children's racing game.

I don't want to add sports in my games primarily because there's no context in which a sports minigame would make sense. If I were to add one, I'd probably try to make said game a natural extension of existing gameplay rather than rewriting all the rules from scratch. Liberty's snowboard minigame seems like a good example. Mario Odyssey had a few sports minigames that used his natural moveset to play.
I just remembered Inazuma Eleven. It’s a literal Soccer/football RPG
author=DungeonDevDude

Even though nobody is asking for it, has ever asked for it, or will ever ask for it, I really want to make a basketball jRPG.
author=dethmetal
author=DungeonDevDude
Even though nobody is asking for it, has ever asked for it, or will ever ask for it, I really want to make a basketball jRPG.

I’m asking for it.

Respectfully.
Pages: 1