XENOGEARS FAN BATTLE GAME

Pages: first 12 next last
Just a small fan game i wanted to do since forever... thanks to a friend who ripped all the Xenogears sprites i started doing my game.
Its just focused in battles and i will add a combo system later on.

This is what i did for now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBcpuMWuC_w&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=WilliamEdward%27s

I dont expect to finish this (unless some other people gets interested in a game like this)... the plan is to be able to play as EVERY boss/monster in Xenogears, yes, including the mighty ID (though i am not sure to add him as a separate character or as a transformation for Fei, i dont want to spoil anything but those who played the game know what i am refering to)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
This thread had some things about a Xenogears game made with MV. I seem to remember a gamepage too, and it was probably the one linked to in that thread. Unfortunately, it seems said gamepage is no longer available to the public, nor does the wayback machine have any captures.

That aside, I took a look-see at the video. I know there's a number of things that aren't implemented, but, I'm not really sure what the plan of the game is. Is it a battle arena game in a similar vein to Dissidia, only for Xenogears?
Man oh man, I was wondering when peeps would start using Playstation sprites. it's really exciting to see this in rpgmaker!

(AlexNoah's vid with the correct YT tags on RMN)

As I said on youtube, keep us posted on this AlexnNoah! I would've killed to know how to rip Playstation sprites, back in the day, lol. It bugs me how there hasn't been, a spiritual successor to Xenogears. I always felt like the 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds could've been explored more. Anyways, I just remembered the name of the other Xenogears fan game I was talking about now: Spheresoft, was making a 2D remake of Xenogears, but the most they were able to get done was convert all the FMV cutscenes to an HD aspect ratio, and a brief shot of the intro:

(from Sphere's 2D Xenogears - scaled down for thread)

EDIT: Marrend! I was wondering when you'd show up, lol! Yeah, I was able to grab the game in question. I kindly asked sphere for a copy way back when, just for posterity's sake. It's really cool though, to finally see someone getting around to doing the sprites cause holy shit dude, this is amazing! I remember Ramsus had a really cool 2D animation for his sword attack. He'd be a cool character to play as for a 2D Xenogears fighting game.
author=Marrend
This threadhad some things about a Xenogears game made with MV. I seem to remember a gamepage too, and it was probably the one linked to in that thread. Unfortunately, it seems said gamepage is no longer available to the public, nor does the wayback machine have any captures.

That aside, I took a look-see at the video. I know there's a number of things that aren't implemented, but, I'm not really sure what the plan of the game is. Is it a battle arena game in a similar vein to Dissidia, only for Xenogears?

Hey man, yes, this will be just a fighting game made with RPG Maker VX Ace, that is all i wanted to make, not a full remake or anything like that, because i also need to make 3D maps and stuff like that (and i am not interested in making that anyway)
There is a LOT to be done in the battle system, here i just show the basics, i will implement a combo system for sure later, similar to Xenogears, but i am not interested also in making a 1:1 copy of Xeno :D
author=LordBlueRouge
Man oh man,I was wondering when peeps would start using Playstation sprites. it's really exciting to see this in rpgmaker!

(AlexNoah's vid with the correct YT tags on RMN)

As I said on youtube, keep us posted on this AlexnNoah! I would've killed to know how to rip Playstation sprites, back in the day, lol. It bugs me how there hasn't been, a spiritual successor to Xenogears. I always felt like the 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds could've been explored more. Anyways, I just remembered the name of the other Xenogears fan game I was talking about now: Spheresoft, was making a 2D remake of Xenogears, but the most they were able to get done was convert all the FMV cutscenes to an HD aspect ratio, and a brief shot of the intro:

(from Sphere's 2D Xenogears - scaled down for thread)

EDIT: Marrend! I was wondering when you'd show up, lol! Yeah, I was able to grab the game in question. I kindly asked sphere for a copy way back when, just for posterity's sake. It's really cool though, to finally see someone getting around to doing the sprites cause holy shit dude, this is amazing! I remember Ramsus had a really cool 2D animation for his sword attack. He'd be a cool character to play as for a 2D Xenogears fighting game.

Thanks a lot buddy, yes, i also love Xeno sprites and was hyped when my friend could rip all the sprites from the game (i told him to rip everything because he is a expert in such things).
I know the MV project, but as far as i know it was just made with the default assets of RPG maker and looked a bit good... i just prefer to NOT use default assets, characters specially. But other than that she made a good job in making a HD version of those FMVs!
I will focus just on the battle system and make some kind of RPG-Fighting game, something different for sure!
Here is another video showing 2 Fei`s skills... Senretsu took me 2 hours to make!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMGRfCdOW5c&ab_channel=WilliamEdward%27s

I think, that after being able to replicate these skills, anything is possible lol
This is really cool! ...I was gonna say, if you can, see how close you can get to the original as much as possible. I'm not familiar with MV, but knowing rpgmaker - you may not be able to recreate the line and particle effects - but there's probably a way you can recreate the zoom in effect, by overlaying sprites on top of Fei, increasing their size and having them fade out.

For the blue shadows that follows Fei's attack, you can probably tint them blue.

It might be more trouble than it's worth, but getting as close as possible to the original, is a really great opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of how these engines essentially work. It will teach you, not only how MV treats animations, but also how to solve future issues and problems down the road, because you'll know how to not only recreate these issues, but how to solve them as well. Eitherway, Great Work! I love that someone is finally doing this! I wish Aten was still around to see this, he'd love this. He loved Xenogears.

author=LordBlueRouge
This is really cool!...I was gonna say, if you can, see how close you can get to the original as much as possible. I'm not familiar with MV, but knowing rpgmaker - you may not be able to recreate the line and particle effects - but there's probably a way you can recreate the zoom in effect, by overlaying sprites on top of Fei, increasing their size and having them fade out.

For the blue shadows that follows Fei's attack, you can probably tint them blue.

It might be more trouble than it's worth, but getting as close as possible to the original, is a really great opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of how these engines essentially work. It will teach you, not only how MV treats animations, but also how to solve future issues and problems down the road, because you'll know how to not only recreate these issues, but how to solve them as well. Eitherway, Great Work! I love that someone is finally doing this! I wish Aten was still around to see this, he'd love this. He loved Xenogears.

I can replicate the camera movement, its a bit of zoom in and out, as for the blue shadow that follows Fei i think it can be do able too... but i am not interested in making a super close 1:1 to the original, i just want to be able to use the characters and their skills, i am not a god yet lol.
I am using RPG Maker VX Ace, MV is horrible and very limited for my needs.

EDIT: Ok now i made the camera works, not as dynamic as the original, but gives it a magical touch that looks very good...
as for the blue shadow i didnt find a option, but anyway... not big of a deal!
Marrend
Ace, you say? This script looks like it might be useful to replicate the Deathblow system of Xenogears. It would largely depend on your own ambitions, of course. Like, I only started writing my own code with Okiku, Star Apprentice, and that was seven years ago. Say what you will of the quality of the game, but, I'm damn proud of how much of code I wrote and actually works in this game, which is a humble tribute to the Suikoden series.

*Edit:
author=LordBlueRouge
I wish Aten was still around to see this, he'd love this. He loved Xenogears.

I might not have been around when Aten was alive, and making games. However, his work on Final Fantasy Dreams is certainly notable.
author=Marrend
Ace, you say? This script looks like it might be useful to replicate the Deathblow system of Xenogears. It would largely depend on your own ambitions, of course. Like, I only started writing my own code with Okiku, Star Apprentice, and that was seven years ago. Say what you will of the quality of the game, but, I'm damn proud of how much of code I wrote and actually works in this game, which is a humble tribute to the Suikoden series.

*Edit:
author=LordBlueRouge
I wish Aten was still around to see this, he'd love this. He loved Xenogears.

I might not have been around when Aten was alive, and making games. However, his work on Final Fantasy Dreams is certainly notable.
+
I never got to know Aten, but its really heartbreaking, this made me really sad... There is still people playing his games, damn...
In memory of Aten, i will finish this fan game, i really need people interested in a fan game of Xenogears, and Aten had the profile picture of ID of Xenogears, my fav character ever...

I knew that plugin of Yanfly by the way, and that is what i planned to use!
That Okiku page you made is hilarious by the way hahaha, really crazy stuff, i may try the game when i have more time.

Cheers.
Ok... so i tried to implement a combo system but its almost impossible... The Yanfly script is very limited and doesn`t allow multiple combos like in Xenogears... Seems i will need to skip this part and just make a basic RPG system. Sad because this is something i really wanted to implement but RPG Maker is limited and things like this happens.
Maybe in the future i could pay someone to make a script specifically for this, but i doubt it will happen.
I will continue making this game, of course, maybe i will add a system where depending of the level of the player is the amount of attacks one can do in a single turn, similar to Lunar games.
Marrend
author=AlexNoah
The Yanfly script is very limited and doesn`t allow multiple combos like in Xenogears.

Really? Like, I'm looking at...

...these screencaps. It looks like you can define however many Deathblows you want. So, like, Fei's might look like...

<combo max: 7>
<combo skill X: 3>
<combo skill Y: 4>
<combo skill Z: 5>
<combo special XZ: 6>
<combo special XXZ: 7>
<combo special YZ: 8>
<combo special XXXZ: 9>
<combo special XYZ: 10>
<combo special YXZ: 11>
<combo special ZZ: 12>
<combo special XXXXZ: 13>
<combo special XXYZ: 14>
<combo special XYXZ: 15>
<combo special YXXZ: 16>
<combo special YYZ: 17>
<combo special ZXZ: 18>
...this?

*Edit: I'll be checking this out myself momentarily. I'm more than a little curious!

*Edit2: Can confirm that the XZ combo and YZ combo call the correct skill. The fact that the script asks that combos specials need to be learned before they can be used can be worked around. Like, giving them a skill category of "None" would not allow them to appear under Skills in the main menu, or, more importantly for your game, the battle menu. Pretty sure!
author=Marrend
author=AlexNoah
The Yanfly script is very limited and doesn`t allow multiple combos like in Xenogears.
Really? Like, I'm looking at...

...these screencaps. It looks like you can define however many Deathblows you want. So, like, Fei's might look like...

<combo max: 7>
<combo skill X: 3>
<combo skill Y: 4>
<combo skill Z: 5>
<combo special XZ: 6>
<combo special XXZ: 7>
<combo special YZ: 8>
<combo special XXXZ: 9>
<combo special XYZ: 10>
<combo special YXZ: 11>
<combo special ZZ: 12>
<combo special XXXXZ: 13>
<combo special XXYZ: 14>
<combo special XYXZ: 15>
<combo special YXXZ: 16>
<combo special YYZ: 17>
<combo special ZXZ: 18>

...this?

*Edit: I'll be checking this out myself momentarily. I'm more than a little curious!

*Edit2: Can confirm that the XZ combo and YZ combo call the correct skill. The fact that the script asks that combos specials need to be learned before they can be used can be worked around. Like, giving them a skill category of "None" would not allow them to appear under Skills in the main menu, or, more importantly for your game, the battle menu. Pretty sure!

Hey bro, you made a good find on how more or less Fei would work, if you want i can share my project with you, i am using Theolized SBS (the best of them all imo) But as soon as i want to attack the enemy, the player goes towards the enemy, goes to the original position and only then attacks the enemy with the desired combo, this is the main problem...
Marrend
To see what you were talking about, I downloaded a demo of Theolized SBS threw Yanfly's Combo Input into it, and added a few test-skills at the end of the DB.

What I'm noticing is that the first input the actor stays in place, but, any following attack, they return to their original position, only to jump out with the next attack in succession. I also keep forgetting that, at this point, abilities don't actually cost anything. It seems to be possible to enter the "Raijin" combo (Triangle, Cross -> "XZ") followed by another light, medium, or heavy attack? I thought Yanfly's combo system was set up so that once a combo skill fired, you couldn't input any more. For what it's worth, I only programmed "Raijin" and "Senrestu", so, the max combo inputs would be 3 (even if, AP-wise, we're using up to 5).

I dunno how involved I want to get here. However, if I were to commit, I'd have to study the scripts with more scrutiny to understand what could be done to circumvent the actor from jumping back into their initial position so long as a combo is being inputted. Or what's going on with being able to input commands after a Raijin.

Darigaaz, it would almost be like Baclyae Revolution all over again.
author=Marrend
To see what you were talking about, I downloaded a demo of Theolized SBS threw Yanfly's Combo Input into it, and added a few test-skills at the end of the DB.

What I'm noticing is that the first input the actor stays in place, but, any following attack, they return to their original position, only to jump out with the next attack in succession. I also keep forgetting that, at this point, abilities don't actually cost anything. It seems to be possible to enter the "Raijin" combo (Triangle, Cross -> "XZ") followed by another light, medium, or heavy attack? I thought Yanfly's combo system was set up so that once a combo skill fired, you couldn't input any more. For what it's worth, I only programmed "Raijin" and "Senrestu", so, the max combo inputs would be 3 (even if, AP-wise, we're using up to 5).

I dunno how involved I want to get here. However, if I were to commit, I'd have to study the scripts with more scrutiny to understand what could be done to circumvent the actor from jumping back into their initial position so long as a combo is being inputted. Or what's going on with being able to input commands after a Raijin.

Darigaaz, it would almost be like Baclyae Revolution all over again.
Thanks for trying to help me in this bud, i really appreciate it,
But yes, that is what happens as you could see, i managed to put Fei in place by using "script, "@ori_x = self.x; @ori_y = self.y" so that way Fei stays in place ONCE he moves towards the enemy, but this script will make that last position his actual position, meaning that he will stay there and no return to his ORIGINAL position (hope you can understand what i mean, my english doesnt helps either hahah)

Maybe i can ask Theo, but i dont think he will help me in this...

The only way i see now is to just use combos as skills, and those combos makes you gain TP to make Deathblows...

Cheers.
Marrend
If you can set @ori_x = self.x and @ori_y = self.y, then, I think, with a little bit more fiddling, we can get the effect you need. Maybe?

The theory I've got running is you make duplicate variables for the character's original positioning. So, like, maybe when @ori_x and @ori_y are created, you insert something like...

@oori_x = @ori_x.dup
@oori_y = @oru_y.dup

...this. Though, saying that, I wouldn't be too sure of where you'd set @ori_x and @ori_y back to @oori_x and @oori_y. I have the sense that you might have a better handle on where that could be than me right now. However, I don't think it would hurt too much to ask/PM Theo if you're lost?

As an aside, in the previous post I made, I forgot to have the target character learn/know the Deathblow skills. Not that the effect of the character bouncing back and forward was suddenly solved when I did set them. However, the fact that I could input three attacks regardless of what attacks I used was!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Hmm...Yami's Battle Symphony is completely compatible with Yanfly, I don't know about maintaining combos, but you might be able to use YBS to force Fei to return to his original position once the combo is over.
author=Marrend
If you can set @ori_x = self.x and @ori_y = self.y, then, I think, with a little bit more fiddling, we can get the effect you need. Maybe?

The theory I've got running is you make duplicate variables for the character's original positioning. So, like, maybe when @ori_x and @ori_y are created, you insert something like...

@oori_x = @ori_x.dup
@oori_y = @oru_y.dup

...this. Though, saying that, I wouldn't be too sure of where you'd set @ori_x and @ori_y back to @oori_x and @oori_y. I have the sense that you might have a better handle on where that could be than me right now. However, I don't think it would hurt too much to ask/PM Theo if you're lost?

As an aside, in the previous post I made, I forgot to have the target character learn/know the Deathblow skills. Not that the effect of the character bouncing back and forward was suddenly solved when I did set them. However, the fact that I could input three attacks regardless of what attacks I used was!

Thanks bro, i just tried this and doesnt work, i may just use a simple battle system with a menu for combos, where you can gain TP, and other menu for Deathblows, its much easier and less stressing lol.

I may ask Theo, but i dont want to be annoying, he is not very active lately as i could see in RPGMAKER forums, but nothing is set to stone yet, everything can change...

Thanks a lot for your help man!
author=pianotm
Hmm...Yami's Battle Symphony is completely compatible with Yanfly, I don't know about maintaining combos, but you might be able to use YBS to force Fei to return to his original position once the combo is over.

I knew that Battle Symphony was more compatible because i used it back in 2014, but i am using Theolized Battle System, which is the BEST battle system ever, i dont think i can use Battle Symphony and Theo at the same time? hahaha
Neat! I love Xenogears. I don't think I've ever seen a fan game of Xenogears before.
Pages: first 12 next last