[RM2K3] CHANGING ACTOR BATTLE GRAPHIC MID-BATTLE

Pages: 1
Punkitt
notorious rpgmaker 2k3 shill
Heyo heyo! I'm working on an RM2k3 game for the Kill the Cutie jam and I'm trying to implement a sort of Kirby Copy Ability system. It's done by changing the class of the character to the ability type they're copying. The only problem so far is that I can't seem to find a way to get their battle graphic to change to the appropriate one after changing class; it only changes when entering a new battle. I'm using the official version of RPGMaker 2003! Does anyone have any ideas?
author=Punkitt
Heyo heyo! I'm working on an RM2k3 game for the Kill the Cutie jam and I'm trying to implement a sort of Kirby Copy Ability system. It's done by changing the class of the character to the ability type they're copying. The only problem so far is that I can't seem to find a way to get their battle graphic to change to the appropriate one after changing class; it only changes when entering a new battle. I'm using the official version of RPGMaker 2003! Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Punkitt!

This game is part of the Kill the Cutie Jam, so it sounds like you're strapped for time here. I tried to reach out to ya on discord but you're probably busy. The short answer is, upon attacking/copying/eating for kirby, you'll need to create a call event with a switch, that will change kirby's class during battle.

I did a really bad example of this in Final Fantasy Dog, whenever Kain jumps:

And whenever Kain lands, after the Jump.

But yeah, you may also want to check out Deckiller's The encephalon series for a better example: https://rpgmaker.net/games/2494/

But the basic idea is that, under
Troops>Battle Events>
If Kirby Uses Battle Command <Copy>
-Turn Sword Class Switch ON
-Call Event: Kirby Class Change

And then under Database>Common Events>Kirby Class Change
Condition Branch: If Sword Class is ON
-Change Actor Class <Kirby> to <Sword Kirby>
Else:
Change Actor Class <Kirby> to <Kirby>

If you have more than one Class, you may want to use variables instead of creating multiple switches for each class and simply set the variable back to zero, to make Kirby switch back to default, etc.
I will have to try this for HR.

(For Werewolf transformation, I have simply made a new Status that takes high presedence, and then associate that status with an animation post slot that has my wolf graphic. So while they look like a wolf when they are standing there, when they attack or take any other action, they shift back to their existing sprites.)
author=kentona
I will have to try this for HR.

(For Werewolf transformation, I have simply made a new Status that takes high presedence, and then associate that status with an animation post slot that has my wolf graphic - So while they look like a wolf when they are standing there, when they attack or take any other action, they shift back to their existing sprites.)

Yeah, the Jump thing for Kain isn't great, it's kind of awful here actually, because I haven't fully tested it out yet. It worked in FFD because it looks and feels like jump from a Final Fantasy game and it's just a tech demo. So for the one battle, it should be okay. But for a longer game, you may still need to work out the kinks with this:

The caveat to using this method is that, there's two classes and 2 sets of battle animations for Kain:

Kain1 is his normal state
Kain2 is after he's jumped and he's in the air.

By using a Call Event to switch between classes, what you're really doing is just switching between the two classes to get access to 2 different sets of character animations. The problem with using this method however is that, in a longer game, you'll need to figure out how to revert these class changes back, everytime, after battle.

The second problem to using this method is that, for every Werewolf class, You'll need to create an additional Transformed WereWolf class for the animations. It's a bit more work than what's required (making sure everything still works, when you switch between classes, like equipment, etc) But if it means everytime the player attacks in werewolf form, you'll get to see these really cool werewolf attack animations - it's worth it.

Keep us posted on a commercial demo chief. I love all the blog updates. I'm really looking forward to HR's release.
:thumbs up: :misao: :100%:
Punkitt
Hey, thank you all! Sorry I didn't reply on Discord earlier, I've kind of been busy all morning, haha. I'm gonna give this a shot and see if it works! The battle animations are SUPER simple so I think I should be fine, I think something like this should do the job. :D Much appreciated!!
author=Punkitt
Hey, thank you all! Sorry I didn't reply on Discord earlier, I've kind of been busy all morning, haha. I'm gonna give this a shot and see if it works! The battle animations are SUPER simple so I think I should be fine, I think something like this should do the job. :D Much appreciated!!

Yeah, I apologize Punkitt, I know you're strapped for time. I would've fleshed this idea out a bit more and worked out the kinks if we had more time. But all I have right now is a possible draft of what you could do with this. Keep us posted if you were able to get this up and running properly.

It's cool to see someone working on a kirby-ish game in rpgmaker2003 (I always wondered what the kirby class change stuff would look like in rpgmaker2003) From what I've seen already in the screenshot thread, this looked really promising. Looking forward to the release!
Punkitt
Thank you so much LordBlue!! I really appreciate all the help, I'll be sure to let you know if it works!! Thanks for being really forward about it too, sometimes I ask stuff in the help forum and people ask me why I bother instead of helping me find a solution. Much obliged!!
Pages: 1