[POLL] RPG MAKER USERS: WHICH ENGINE DO YOU USE THE MOST THESE DAYS?

Poll

Which RPG Maker engine do you use the most these days? - Results

RPG Maker 2000
5%
RPG Maker 2003
36%
RPG Maker XP
3%
RPG Maker VX
0%
RPG Maker VX Ace
21%
RPG Maker MV
21%
RPG Maker MZ
10%
RPG Maker 95
0%

Pages: first 12 next last
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
It's been a while since I did anything RM-related, so I was just wondering which engine's favoured the most these days...

Discussion about your preferences is welcome!

(And please let me know if there's any I missed)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I more and more find myself using RPG Maker 2003, and I'm honestly not sure why I've been preferring it over any other engine.
unity
You're magical to me.
I used VX Ace for my last game and I'll probably use it for my next one too, tho I am still curious to give MZ a try :D
RPG Maker MV, just because that's what I'm using for my current project. However, I've been using RPG Maker 2003 since, well... 2003. This time I wanted to use MV for more flexibility and potential to play my game on phones.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I started with XP, then stopped for a while and then two or so computers later got Ace.

I understand Ace a little and it mostly does what I want it to do so I see no reason to switch to something new unless it adds a "dispense chocolate" option and also doesn't have memory leaks.

E:
It'd be nice to be able to export games to non-Windows formats but them's the breaks.
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
XP, Ace and MV
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I've pretty much been a stalwart Ace user since it's release. Though, I liked MZ well enough during my trial of it. Maybe if it goes on sale again, I'll pick it up? I dunno. It seems that, outside of events, any time I open Ace, I look at the DB, and nope right out of it! Like, whatever inspiration I might have had to gammak appears to have run dry? That's kinda why I've moved my standard user-title away from "Bludgeon of Inspiration" in the last few years, or so.
Also in Team Ace, but wouldn't mind making the jump to MZ someday if I can figure the whole Effekseer thing. MZ reportedly has its problems but it seems to be getting better more quickly than MV ever did.

But a big part of me also just wants to buckle down and learn Game Maker or some other engine.

Granted, I gotta get my current project done and out of the way before I think about any of this.

you're asking the last bastion of RM2k3 what they use these days?
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
author=kentona

Kinda making sure you're still in the game :V
author=kentona

Yeah, I second this notion actually:

There was this article Giada Zavarise wrote on EuroGamer back in 2018, she did up this graph, while trying to figure out which engine was the most popular on steam: VX, MV and XP being the most popular.

However, if you take a look at last years misaos, the two biggest winners were 2003 games, one being made in unofficial rpgmaker2003 the other being made in official rpgmaker2003:

Theia: The Crimson Eclispe - By LolloRocketDiver

Grimm's Hollow - By Ghost Hunter

The rest of the 2019 misao contenders can be found here.
EDIT: Throwing in a couple of more: A lot of really good rpgmaker2003 games last year.

Crypt of the Fungal Lord by Momeka:

Dead Again by Smokingspoon:

Dandelion by Smokingspoon:

Villnoire by LittleWingGuy:

Pilgrim's Road by SideWinder:

Siam by Sooya:
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
Like a stubborn donkey that refuses to move across a busy dirt road during an unbearably hot summer in the countryside, I'm still standing my ground as an avid user of RPG Maker 2003. Does that mean I think it's the best RPG Maker engine? Nah, of course not. I am fully aware that the newer RPG Maker titles are far more flexible and capable of a lot more stuff, but at the same time, I'm not really a professional game developer, I'm a hobbyist. This being the case, sticking to something I have more fun working with is a priority for me. Besides, I feel like I still have not finished exploring all the things one can do with event commands.

Some may say it is akin to building a submarine out of wood, but making RM2K3 do things it is not meant to do is something I find immensely satisfying, especially since I have to do it with event commands instead of a much more flexible and modifiable scripting language whose sole purpose is to make this kind of thing more convenient to implement.

Do I recommend people use RM2K3 as well? Well, it depends on what they want. If they want to make some straight forward hobby games like I do, then yes, definitely use it. It's simple and fun, and every custom system you make will be more satisfying when you remind yourself that the engine is technically not meant to have it. On the other hand, if you want to go professional, maybe use something like MV or VX Ace instead. Also, I heard good things about MZ, so there's that as well.

EDIT: now, that isn't to say all I care about is custom systems. It's also important to have a few notions of game design, even if you're only making hobby games. I still want people to enjoy my games, I just don't want to make them professionally. I'm not super savvy on game design myself, but I have been learning more and more about it the more I work on my hobby projects, and maybe one day I will become a game design wiz. Or maybe not, but I will still learn a lot.
Yellow Magic
Thanks for the votes and responses everyone. I honestly didn't expect to 2k3 to come out on top, even if this is arguably the oldest RPG Maker site that's still around.

author=Gretgor
It's simple and fun, and every custom system you make will be more satisfying when you remind yourself that the engine is technically not meant to have it.
Oh gosh, I do miss the thrill of building a Custom Menu System in 2k...

EDIT: LordBlueRouge, those examples of 2k3 games are blowing my mind right now - especially Pilgrim's Road, how on Earth...
2k3 always wins

As someone who has moved on to other engines, I still think engine limitations don't matter as long as you enjoy the aesthetics that come with it, especially since 2k3 itself has become more of a source of nostalgia than SNES even is at this point.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Though I did grab RM2k for the Halloween sale ($20 USD < $2.50), I have to say I only truly have eyes for VX Ace. No matter how much I swing with other engines, I keep coming back to Ace. It's not hard for me to emulate stuff from older editions that were hard-coded in, and anything MV and MZ can do? I feel VX Ace can do just fine.

I do agree with LBR on the crazy-awesome stuff 2k3 can do, I feel engine isn't as huge as what you can do with it. I adore 2k/3 aesthetics, and the core limitations might give me more focus. My WIP is already suffering script and asset bloat, and I only began the design document tonight to focus my concepts.
VX Ace feels the most comfortable to me, although I have not tried MZ yet.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

If I were to use a RPG Maker engine again it would still be Ace.
There's practically no reason to use another RPG Maker.

I currently mostly use Visual Novel Maker and Pixel Game Maker MV.
Yellow Magic
Those of you using VX Ace, have you tried MV or MZ? If so, any particular reason(s) you prefer VX Ace?
I wish the source code for 2K3 wasn't lost. Imagine if they'd release it with built-in scripting.
Pages: first 12 next last