[POLL] RPG MAKER USERS: WHICH ENGINE DO YOU USE THE MOST THESE DAYS?

Poll

Which RPG Maker engine do you use the most these days? - Results

RPG Maker 2000
5%
RPG Maker 2003
36%
RPG Maker XP
3%
RPG Maker VX
0%
RPG Maker VX Ace
21%
RPG Maker MV
21%
RPG Maker MZ
10%
RPG Maker 95
0%

Pages: first prev 12 last
In the 20 years since RPGMaker 2000 I'm surprised no one just decided to recreate the engine as is (avoiding any kind of copyright/IP issues) and then just open source it. I get that there's always been people attempting to make their own competitor and have failed due to the logistics of how hard it is to make an engine, however most of them try to innovate or do their own thing and I think that leads to ambition beyond what RM2000/3 ended up reliably being. After all RPGMaker has basically been remaking itself up to this point, just without some assumptions rm2k/3 has.

I guess I say this due to all the video game HD remakes coming out lately where it seems to be that using the original software as a blueprint to follow to a T tends to get projects done and are reliably a safe bet. Remastered ports require a lot of reverse engineering and are typically finnicky and weird and even emulation stuff has its pitfalls too.

The amount of effort put into dynRPG and easyRPG feels like a time consuming workaround although easyRPG is probably a way for preservation to be ideal. They both feel things made to be ontop of rm2k3 more than anything. Idk it's weird that there hasn't been an answer despite continued use of rm2k3 to this day.
author=Darken
In the 20 years since RPGMaker 2000 I'm surprised no one just decided to recreate the engine as is (avoiding any kind of copyright/IP issues) and then just open source it. I get that there's always been people attempting to make their own competitor and have failed due to the logistics of how hard it is to make an engine, however most of them try to innovate or do their own thing and I think that leads to ambition beyond what RM2000/3 ended up reliably being. After all RPGMaker has basically been remaking itself up to this point, just without some assumptions rm2k/3 has.

I guess I say this due to all the video game HD remakes coming out lately where it seems to be that using the original software as a blueprint to follow to a T tends to get projects done and are reliably a safe bet. Remastered ports require a lot of reverse engineering and are typically finnicky and weird and even emulation stuff has its pitfalls too.

The amount of effort put into dynRPG and easyRPG feels like a time consuming workaround although easyRPG is probably a way for preservation to be ideal. They both feel things made to be ontop of rm2k3 more than anything. Idk it's weird that there hasn't been an answer despite continued use of rm2k3 to this day.

+1, I think part of it has to do with the fact that JRPGs just really aren't all that popular in western speaking communities. But we have had peeps like SmokingWolf create rpgmaker2000 games only to then go onto create the Wolf RPG editor. These efforts are out there, but in some cases, we just don't know about them yet, cause they're just not in English yet.

author=kentona
RMN Maker 2020

Final Fantasy Dog 2 will be a system exclusive.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I feel like if you have the technical know-how and interest in making old jRPG style engines you're best served getting paid to work on RPG Makers.

author=kentona
RMN Maker 2020

Visiting the site causes a fire and explosion in your computer followed by a swarm of locusts and angry wasps.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=Yellow Magic
Those of you using VX Ace, have you tried MV or MZ? If so, any particular reason(s) you prefer VX Ace?

Doesn't lag, more assets, and have used longer.
Why move to another engine that does the same things when I can use Ace?
What I wanted from an engine was to go in a different direction with the battle system. Until that happens, there's no reason to get a newer engine to make a turn based RPG.

That's one reason I bought Pixel Game Maker MV. It at least does something very different.

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Yellow Magic
Those of you using VX Ace, have you tried MV or MZ? If so, any particular reason(s) you prefer VX Ace?

I liked MZ well enough during the Trials of MZ event. My comment here outlines some of my thoughts.

I don't necessarily prefer Ace over using MZ. It's just that I basically can't afford to buy MZ at $80. If 2020 was any other year, I probably would have picked it up after the Trials of MZ event. Or, if I knew I'd be interested it before that event, I would probably have picked it up during it's initial offering, when it was, like, 50% off.

So it goes, I suppose.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
2K3 GANG LETS FUCKIN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Yep there are several attempts to "recreate" RM2k(3). Another one not yet mentioned would be TURBU (http://turbu-rpg.com/) which also just stopped somewhere on the way and died, it would seem. It advertised compatibility with existing RM2k games (to some extent).

(Another thing that comes to mind would be R-PG Minerva, also long dead by now and known mostly in the German community: https://www.makerpendium.de/index.php/R-PG_Minerva)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Marrend
I liked MZ well enough during the Trials of MZ event. My comment here outlines some of my thoughts.

I don't necessarily prefer Ace over using MZ. It's just that I basically can't afford to buy MZ at $80. If 2020 was any other year, I probably would have picked it up after the Trials of MZ event. Or, if I knew I'd be interested it before that event, I would probably have picked it up during it's initial offering, when it was, like, 50% off.

So it goes, I suppose.

I really liked MZ, too, and I don't see myself being able to afford it for a long time.
author=Cherry
Yep there are several attempts to "recreate" RM2k(3). Another one not yet mentioned would be TURBU (http://turbu-rpg.com/) which also just stopped somewhere on the way and died, it would seem. It advertised compatibility with existing RM2k games (to some extent).

(Another thing that comes to mind would be R-PG Minerva, also long dead by now and known mostly in the German community: https://www.makerpendium.de/index.php/R-PG_Minerva)

I remember minerva! I still have the preview vid somewhere. I think it's also on youtube. I'll see if I can find the vid/upload it. Sorry, I got excited hearing that name lol. I wasn't apart of the community back then, But my friends and I knew about Minerva in the early 2000s. Like, 2002-2004 and we were really excited for it, especially the 8 directional movement for something like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger games, also the custom windows were really cool.

movie-like pre-rendered flames and smoke in rpgmaker2000?
This was the stuff of dreams.

I'm permanently going to stick with RPGMV.

PS: Where do I find plugins for RPGMV? I would like the following : battle system, and fogs.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Abashi76
PS: Where do I find plugins for RPGMV? I would like the following : battle system, and fogs.

You would get better returns if you posted this as its own topic.
Lately, I have enjoyed MV. I adore its character generator and the ability to export at multiple OS systems. I do still favor VX Ace quite a bit though, especially since a lot more resources exist for it too. So I kinda go back and forth between the two.

I really need to release a project for 2k3 and XP though.
I'm exclusively using MV these days. If it didn't have a side view battle system by default, I'd probably still be using VX Ace though.
I used to work exclusively in VX Ace, which is honestly a fantastic engine and I can't tell you how happy I was to discover I had control over damage formulas and status effects. Seriously, it was such a step up from RMXP.

Now, I've migrated over to MV completely (aside from my one remaining long-term project in VXAce). MV is pretty much just "Ace, but more" at this point, and the whole 3D Plugin is just beautiful and I love it.

Not to mention, FINALLY, a character creator tool that's ACTUALLY good. Praise Mod, you have no idea how fantastic it is to have that.

I don't see myself moving to MZ for quite some time. I'm more than happy with MV, and I hope I can actually get more stuff out in it.

As for the other engines, I've poked around them enough to get a feel for them, and...

2K and 2K3 are just too oldschool and limiting for me (ESPECIALLY 2K. Just the one short game I made in it was already really tricky to design), and RMXP, while pretty, feel VERY gimped in the combat engine department compared to VXAce and newer.
Kinda shocked that people are taking so long to move to MZ. MV's only advantage pretty much is the plugin DB but they're already pretty comparable at this stage... Not to mention the fresh MZ plugins are REALLY pushing things forward.

I don't ever see myself using MV again; XP and Ace are still great with fantastic databases but they're at a weird spot where ""current"" processors offer inferior single core performance to what we had at their release (esp. ace) meaning slowdowns and lag when doing more ambitious stuff... And I assume as single core performance bounces back, compatibility will become the new issue.

Now, 2k3's performance is pretty pretty difficult to fuck up, compatibility issues ain't a thing with EasyRPG being constantly worked on (it's the easiest engine to get running cross-platform ironically, at least for a beginner) and there's a plethora of options on how to do it... Including BingShan's all new engine built to substitute RPG_RT which should come out sometime in the next... IDK 1 year? 2 years? It'll come out probably, and when it does it'll do wonders for archival's sake too since these new interpreters not only perform better and open possibilities, but keep the engines compa
I use Rm2k with Destiny Patch since 2013, but today I'm also interested to use DynRPG on Rm2k3.
Pages: first prev 12 last