MISAOS 2020 - DISCUSSION TOPIC

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Hey, everybody! It's that time of year again! The time of year to discuss...

...Misaos! Here's some highlight games, courtesy of LordBlueRouge, to get the discussion started.

I could not find harmless' Lockheart Indigo here, which LBR did mention in this post. However, as a commercial game, it might not be able to be nominated if it was properly flagged here. Also, while Cover Your Eyes was also mentioned in LBR's post, it is also a commercial game.

So! Thoughts? Considerations? Additions? Subtractions?

Voting has begun! Please cast your vote before January 31st 2021! Remember! Don't walk! RUN to the Misaos!

Also, if you manage to fill out your ballot PM a screencap to Liberty for a chance to win a copy of RPG Maker MV! Thanks for your support of the Misaos, Liberty!

Here's a short-list of the games you can vote for, and how many categories they are in:
New Eden - 11 categories
Exile's Journey - 10 categories
Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening - 10 categories
Bettle Ninja - 8 categories
THERAPIST: Mind Manager - 6 categories
Moonsong: First Verse - 5 categories
Stories of New Eden - 3 categories
Phileas's Mirror - 2 categories
Midnight Train - 2 categories
Slimes - 2 categories
Shadow Seeker - 2 categories
Shooty and the Catfish: Fully Reloaded - 2 categories
Two Strangers: The Third Stranger - 2 categories
The MirBox - 1 category
Bounty Angel 2 - 1 category
Two Strangers Survive the Zombie Apocalypse - 1 category
LABYRINTH - Derelict Abyss - 1 category
The game with no name - 1 category
Soma Union - 1 category
I played all of them (except for Cover your Eyes) and I agree with these highlights. I'll throw some notable games (at least for me) to these already listed (and relative idea for award):

Phileas's Mirror
"Eye Candy" Award / Best Non-English Game / Trippiest Game

Exile Journey
"Everlasting Journey" Award / Excellence in Narrative / Not Dead Yet Award

Skydancer
The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award / Best Non-English Game / "Everlasting Journey" Award

Silver Night's Crusaders
The Dark Souls of RMN / Best Non-English Game / "Eye Candy" Award

Perceiving Shapes
Best Short Game Award / Summoner of Sounds / Excellence in Narrative

Shadow Seekers
Most Promising Demo / The Dark Souls of RMN / Excellence in Narrative

Matchmaker Carol
The Dark Souls of RMN / "Eye Candy" Award / Best Short Game Award

Two Strangers: the third stranger
Year of the Hedgehog / Trippiest Game / "Eye Candy" Award

Two Strangers survive the Zombie Apocalypse
Punniest Game Alive / Trippiest Game / Best Game Title

Labyrinth: Derelict Abyss
Trippiest Game / Summoner of Sounds / Star Stealing Prince Award

Luke Daimont: Absolute Mayhem
The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award / Best Short Game Award / Best Event Game

Slimes
Excellence in Narrative / Trippiest Game / Star Stealing Prince Award

Sa Ilalim ng Gabi
Best Non-English Game / Best Short Game Award / Year of the Hedgehog

Throne
Most Promising Demo / "Eye Candy" Award / Star Stealing Prince Award

Reliquia - the Prototype
Best Non-English Game / Best Short Game Award / The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

Saga Crew and the Spire of Mana
"Eye Candy" Award / Most Promising Demo / Star Stealing Prince Award

Just some suggestions, I have also some more but I have to remember the names ^^

The categories for the already mentioned games (in my opinion!):

Beetle Ninja
Star Stealing Prince Award / Punniest Game Alive / The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

Moonsong: First Verse
"Eye Candy" Award / Excellence in Narrative / The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award

7 minutes
Best Short Game Award / Best Event Game / Best Game Title

The Game with No Name
Punniest Game Alive / Best Event Game / Best Short Game Award

Therapist
The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award / Star Stealing Prince Award / The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening
Best Game Title / Not Dead Yet Award / Star Stealing Prince Award

Marrend
Thanks for the front page pin under "important"! It feels a little strange, but good, to be up there!

Anyways, I'm looking over my gaming history in the 2020 gaming diary thread. In so doing, I've admittingly played very few RM games this year. The Trials of MZ event is my main point of contention, since even in-event, there were like, five choices I was looking at to vote for, and The Game With No Game was one of them. I personally voted in-event with Luke Diamont: Absolute Mayham, but, that doesn't make me think Fragment, or the aforementioned The Game With No Name are any less deserving.

Call me self-serving, but, I would like some considerations toward Arcomage Ace for "How the hell did they do that!?". I totally understand Luke Diamont as a pick for that, though.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
I absolutely second addict’s recommendation for Phileas’s Mirror to be on the list. I would possibly suggest Midnight Train as well, consdiering the final chapter released recently, though it was an episodic release throughout the last year and this one I think, so not sure how eligible it is.

Also thanks for that Two Strangers shout out! Deffo consider lav’s fangame for punniest game, they did a spectacular job with the humour. Me with two strangers 2 and 3? Wouldn’t quite say so ^^,
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Frogge
I absolutely second addict’s recommendation for Phileas’s Mirror to be on the list. I would possibly suggest Midnight Train as well, consdiering the final chapter released recently, though it was an episodic release throughout the last year and this one I think, so not sure how eligible it is.

I'm pretty sure that Midnight Train is eligible, as long as it's final part was completed this year, which I'm pretty certain it was. I need to play that one, I hear it's good.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!

Two Strangers Got Married on the Beach
has lobsters in the title, therefore it deserves attention.
Shooty and the Catfish saw its full release this year and is definitely worth a look if you like quirky Newgrounds-like humor. The Episode 1 standalone release was released last year, but is also included in the full game with a complete graphical overhaul.
Perhaps it is a bit narcissistic to make such a claim (I am, after all, the creator of Beetle Ninja), but I think Beetle Ninja is perhaps the biggest sleeper hit of 2020.
Typically I'll return to my own work filled with disgust, but for whatever reason, Beetle Ninja is almost always a pleasant journey for me. There's flaws, certainly, but it turned out to be a really nice midpoint between Super Meat Boy, LISA the Painful, and Majora's Mask outside of those aspects (it leans way too heavily into that LISA influence in some parts, sure (mostly due to the collaborative nature of the project not really being all I expected it to be), but generally this only really is a problem once or twice).
Plus, it's now a third the file size it originally was, and you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to. Really, there's not much of a reason not to check it out these days in my opinion lol.
author=Frogge

Also thanks for that Two Strangers shout out! Deffo consider lav’s fangame for punniest game, she did a spectacular job with the humour. Me with two strangers 2 and 3? Wouldn’t quite say so ^^,

Great call Fogge! Midnight Train and also Shooty and the Catfish!
I didn't know that also the Two Strangers get Married was eligible... still the 3rd is my favourite!

author=16bitking
Perhaps it is a bit narcissistic to make such a claim (I am, after all, the creator of Beetle Ninja), but I think Beetle Ninja is perhaps

I agree, and I liked it a lot, expect a review soon! (dunno if I already told you that)
Marrend
author=Sooz

Two Strangers Got Married on the Beach
has lobsters in the title, therefore it deserves attention.

This post reminded me that there's a "Year of the Hedgehog" Misao this year for best use of animals. What's the other considerations of that here?

author=16bitking
Perhaps it is a bit narcissistic to make such a claim (I am, after all, the creator of Beetle Ninja), but I think Beetle Ninja is perhaps the biggest sleeper hit of 2020.

I'm sure LBR mentioned your game in his post specifically because he believed the same as you do in this regard. Saying that, I feel the closet award we have this year to a "Biggest Sleeper Hit" award would be "The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence"?

I'm finding the idea behind The MirBox a pretty neat one, and I'm digging the CSS. There is a "Best Game Profile" Misao, and would consider nominating it for that.

*Edit: "Best Game title" for me would either be Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening, or Oh Bill, Oh Bill. U One Thicc Bih. Do the thing. Show me that Billussy. Both being something of a case of Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Really Long Card Names So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Card Name Ever Elemental.
Frogge
Oh yeah Mirak absolutely deserves that best game profile win with either MirBox or Thicc Bih Bill, no competition there
LavenderSiren's Two Strangers: Third Stranger has my vote for "Eye Candy" Award.

Seriously, just look at those screenshots.
Ooo CYE is here! I would'nt of thought it would be eligible though because it's a commercial game and not many people here (if at all?) have played it compared to all the games listed above. Beetle ninja gets my vote for sleeper hit XD
Marrend
author=StarSkipp
Ooo CYE is here! I would'nt of thought it would be eligible though because it's a commercial game and not many people here (if at all?) have played it compared to all the games listed above.

Hrm. I don't think I looked at that part of the gamepage for Cover Your Eyes when I was drawing this thread up. I was mostly following LBR's lead, as stated before. However, I've now double-checked the gamepage, and yeah, it's flagged as commercial, and thus cannot be nominated. WELP.

*Edit: Updated the OP with that fix, and threw in some additional mentions.

*Edit2: Double-checked the nominatibility of Midnight Train, as it was questioned earlier. It is a go!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Good to see this! I don't have anything to contribute this year, but I wish all of you many nominations.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'ma recommend y'all make sure to put up the title image in your recs because that really draws attention, which is of course what all devs crave. You can just click over to the game page and copy the image url then paste it in the image tags. :D

Expand the url tag to cover it if you REALLY wanna be nice.
Marrend
author=Sooz
I'ma recommend y'all make sure to put up the title image in your recs because that really draws attention, which is of course what all devs crave. You can just click over to the game page and copy the image url then paste it in the image tags. :D

Expand the url tag to cover it if you REALLY wanna be nice.

Oh, for sure! If a game has an image-header, that's been my preference with the image-links in the OP.
Frogge
Oh, I forgot to give a shout out to Toothy and the Fantastic Sandwich. It's short and simple but at least worth a mention.

Just a friendly reminder that Exile's Journey came out this year as well! ;-)

Here to bump this:

Also, shameless self plug for Trash Planet. Though I am working on an update for the game which will be out in early to mid December, so I don't know how that factors into the timing for Misaos.