MISAOS 2020 - DISCUSSION TOPIC

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=LordBlueRouge
Note:...something about rmn not having an automated system, Misaos done this way in the future might fix this problem and give more exposure to games we've missed out on for the current year.

For what it's worth, a typical user can absolutely sort gamepages by Download Added - Reversed; excluding commercial games. Which is a useful sort-method for the purposes of the Misaos! However, there is no easy method for a typical user to limit the results to a particular date period. For that, one might need access to query the database? Not 100% sure. I am sure that if anybody has those rights, it's kentona, as a database query is how his various stat-threads over the years have been populated.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
That video is boss.
It's a shame that so many cool games go overlooked in the sea of releases.

Also, you're doing a great job with this Marrend!

Can we know how many active users were around back in 2018, as opposed to 2020? Just to give us an idea of how those Misaos nomination numbers relate.
Marrend
I don't know about active users. However, the latest stat-thread has...

##################################################################
### TOTAL NUMBER OF UNIQUE POSTERS DURING A GIVEN MONTH ###

...this. This might be the closest indication we have to active users, even if those numbers could include bots that are bannehammered. For reference purposes, the December 2018 count was...

### TOTAL NUMBER OF UNIQUE POSTERS DURING A GIVEN MONTH ###

...this.

*Edit: Also, a thousand thanks for the show of support! I appreciate it!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=LordBlueRouge
EDIT: 2021 is already starting kind of rough, but I'll see we can manage to start on November 1st so we can gather up more contenders next year.

Why wait for November? Just advertise all the new DLs monthly or something!
Marrend
Okay, well, it seems we're somehow still in the nomination phase. How much longer that will last is unknown. However, this is the time to get in any last-minute nominations in! If ever there was a time for Lord BlueRouge's tag-line it is now:

Don't walk! RUN to the Misaos!
Some tight races this year! Best of luck to everyone!
Marrend
Yes! Vote-phase has begun! Here's a quick nomination category count, based on a control-F of the titles on the Misao page. Please let me know if I messed up! Particularly in differentiation between New Eden and Stories of New Eden!

New Eden - 11 categories
Exile's Journey - 11 categories
Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening - 10 categories
Bettle Ninja - 8 categories
THERAPIST: Mind Manager - 6 categories
Moonsong: First Verse - 5 categories
Stories of New Eden - 3 categories
Phileas's Mirror - 2 categories
Midnight Train - 2 categories
Slimes - 2 categories
Shadow Seeker - 2 categories
Shooty and the Catfish: Fully Reloaded - 2 categories
Two Strangers: The Third Stranger - 2 categories
The MirBox - 1 category
Bounty Angel 2 - 1 category
Two Strangers Survive the Zombie Apocalypse - 1 category
LABYRINTH - Derelict Abyss - 1 category
The game with no name - 1 category
Soma Union - 1 category

As an aside, I placed a last-minute nomination on The game with no name. Thus, I will absolutely claim that we wouldn't even have a "Best Event Game" if it were not for that. ;_;
EDIT3:
author=GoldenFoxSoftware
Well, since it is encouraged to promote your own game or raise awareness to it, I would most certainly like to mention my game - New Eden, as well as its 5-episode expansions/spin-offs - Stories of New Eden.

Yeah, I think New Eden and Stories of New Eden are two different games by the same developer. I took one last look at the nominations before going to bed last night and it was up to 412. Considering the year we've had, this is an incredible turn around. holy shit! Marrend, RpgMakerAddict please pat selfs on the back, cause this would not be possible without you guys. I'm very happy with these results.

EDIT: I don't know if it's possible but, the only thing I'd suggest is maybe add 7 Minutes as a last minute contender for Best Event Game, just because it was one of the more interesting event games to come out this year, and should be mentioned - Otherwise we should celebrate now cause PUDDING JUST WON A MISSAOOO!!!! WOOO!! XDDDD

Yes my brotha!! Year of the dog strikes again!!! Arrf! AWOOO!!!

EDIT2: I wasn't here when it happened, but what happened to the copyright award? Silver Crusader would've been a shoe in this year.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I would just like to say that I am personally offended that WAUTAH didn't get nominated for punniest game and I am no longer friends with any of y'all. >:(
Marrend
author=LordBlueRouge
Marrend, RpgMakerAddict please pat selfs on the back, cause this would not be possible without you guys. I'm very happy with these results.

Daaawwww!

author=LordBlueRouge
I don't know if it's possible but, the only thing I'd suggest is maybe add 7 Minutes as a last minute contender for Best Event Game, just because it was one of the more interesting event games to come out this year, and should be mentioned - Otherwise we should celebrate now cause PUDDING JUST WON A MISSAOOO!!!! WOOO!! XDDDD

I've my doubts it's possible to nominate any further, now that the voting period has started. To be fair, I was expecting more games to be on the list for "Best Event Game", but, it is what it is. I'm sure JustAShyDoge won't complain too much on this point! XD

The "Lawsuit Waiting to Happen" award wasn't in the mix this year. I feel Silver Night Crusaders could have been nominated for other awards, though. However, it either only got one nomination (and wouldn't proceed to the voting round), or none at all. A shame, perhaps, but, that is the way of things, sometimes. Next year, Crimsondeath! Next year!

*Edit: I find it somewhat interesting that the Two Strangers games didn't garner enough nominations for "Trippiest Game", but got in there with "Punniest Game Alive". I thought being trippy was, like, their main draw?
This year is so stacked. Best of luck everyone!
Some quick misao entry thoughts:

Moonsong is probably my pick for GOTY, it's the most rounded of the bunch and I'm a sucker for open ended party system like in romancing saga or trials of manga, and in general a callback to SNES aesthetics. There's a really wonky beginning but once you get the crew together the battles and skill trees have a nice pace. Only drawback is that the story is a little on the dry side.

Beetle Ninja is the runner up for me as it's the most charming this year. I love the time format and the general attitude the game has. It's unpredictable in just how the game kind of unfolds. My only problem is that the battles were a bit on the ehhhh side as I felt most of balancing was off and the skills were mostly pointless except for bread and butter ones.

Slimes I've only played the demo and been meaning to play the full game but it's probably the best written and willing to explore topics of RPG morality a lot. I highly recommend it as it's been underlooked.

LABYRINTH - Derelict Abyss I think deserves the more abstract trippy award, it's really short but I enjoyed the unique imagery and ideas. The ending was cool and made me laugh. Totally worth a play through.

Exile's Journey I've only played a bit of it, (and it is long...) but I like what I saw, the emphasis on heavy metal midis makes it stand out and I find the battles to be rather smooth. The big issue is that the story felt so straight forward I kept expecting the tropes to be flipped on their head only to realize most of the scenes were being serious. Maybe I'm not far in enough for the surprises to start coming up but that's what my impression is anyway.

Shadow Seeker I need to play more of but I like the general atmosphere and the lighting. It reminds me of a lot of RPGMaker horror games so it's like putting on a familiar glove.

Saga Crew is so tiny and sadly won't be voted on, but I still feel like it's worth mentioning. I see it as a "style test" more so than a complete experience but the style is really rocking. Looking forward to whatever Punkitt might make in 2021.
unity
You're magical to me.
Did you get a chance to look at Weird and Unfortunate, Darken? I'd love to hear what you thought if you did so.
To promote people to vote:

Everyone who can show me proof that they have voted (with a screenshot of their fully voted ballot via PM) will go into the draw for a copy of RPG Maker MV or their choice of a game from my 400+ games list!

Marrend
For future considerations, I think "The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence" could be turned into a "Hidden Gem" or "Sleeper Hit" category. Like, it would be for the best game nobody's played, rather than the best game that doesn't exist. Like, I get this sense that the latter idea is how the current nominees got there. However, I have no idea if that is actually the case.

In other news, the vote-count is up to 662 as of this writing! Niiiiiiice!
Sooz
author=Marrend
For future considerations, I think "The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence" could be turned into a "Hidden Gem" or "Sleeper Hit" category. Like, it would be for the best game nobody's played, rather than the best game that doesn't exist.

If nobody played it how would they know to vote for it
I always figured the kentona award was there to nominate a game for any arbitrary reason

Much like the Simpsons reference it was inspired by.
author=unity
Did you get a chance to look at Weird and Unfortunate, Darken? I'd love to hear what you thought if you did so.

Been meaning to, I'll let you know what I think.
Hello,

I'm voting (thanks to the one who helped me find the poll!), it wasn't that obvious.
Just a question: I didn't play all those games and I think I won't be neutral if I did only vote for those I played. Is that fine if I'm voting regarding what the game page says, or is it possible to vote only for some awards and not others?
Also, I don't come often to read this topic, but I guess the best event game could have had a good match with Cuties & Clues. There are probably others (I didn't play), but this one works well independently of its event. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier.