SCREENSHOT SCHMEENSHOT

NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=2555.msg57693#msg57693 date=1232673175
What's with the Japanese?

The game itself feels very anime-esqe and a Japanese feel to it. I probably take inspiration from the Persona series and SMT games in general. The Japanese Characters themself just say "Somnium Institution".
I think it looks nice and it's a good choice of image as well.
@NoblemanNick
Using all hiragana makes it looks like it's the game for kid. You should use Katakana instead.
Started and finished today. It's a town.

Editor:

In Game:

Looks great Little Wing Guy. The reflections on the water are great. Just one point to make, I didn't spot the sprite straight away but in game I'm guessing the sprite is more visible.
I think those are simply underwater elevations rather than reflections. But aye, looking great! The contrast feels a bit busy looking at the big overall picture, but in game it shouldn't be a problem. I was surprised to see that "Inn" sign on there; a cave town eh?
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=2555.msg57690#msg57690 date=1232673016
I remolded my title screen for Somnium. Taking in the comments and criticism by McDohl on the podcast also it needed a face lift anyway.

Tip: Ditch the Japanese, no one can read it. Or very few.
but it's so kawaii desu desu neko ^__________^
author=Little Wing Guy link=topic=2555.msg58549#msg58549 date=1233016037
Started and finished today. It's a town.
Editor:

In Game:

I think I have met my match. =[

These are great; very simple and sleek. Wonderful cliff design, too.
Yeah the mapping is some of the best I've seen. It's a shame the chipset isn't that good. Somebody just opened that chipset up in idraw or another paint program and just plastered everything white (with color loss, though that could be because it's a .jpg). I would also connect the paths more and not extend them to places where nothing exists, because I'm not fond of randomly placing road tiles as if they were grass.

But the map gave me an idea of my own, so I am liking it!
author=Darken link=topic=2555.msg58564#msg58564 date=1233019929
but it's so kawaii desu desu neko ^__________^

It's so beautiful (or good?) dead dead cat? By the way, that looks like the type of script used in the Dragon Quest games, before translation. Are they trying to tell us that Dragon Quest is actually for kids?

And Little Wing Guy, that was done in one day? Then again, I figure you must have a lot of time to make maps. Enjoy it, because someday work will strike.
@VideoWizard
If you want to write a foreign word in Japanese, it's better to use katakana instead of hiragana. There are some games that use hiragana to make it looks cute and funny, though. Unless NobleManNick want his game to be light and funny, hiragana shouldn't be there.

For example,

The game's name is Pocket Kanon Air. The word 'pocket' is written in hiragana, and so are those under the English text "Kanon" and "Air" They didn't go as far with the word "original soundtrack" since those are written in katakana and they are easier to read and recognize that way.

Another reason of using hiragana withotu making it looks too childish is to have it under kanji.

I don't know which part of Dragon Quest you're talking about though. If it were the very first Dragon Quest, then I guess it's probably kanji are too complex to draw on NES. But even the spells in the games are written in katakana. But usually in the game dialogue, it depends on the character personality and many things. Having a mix of hiragana and kanji while using katakana for foreign word is what they usually do. Using all katakana in the dialogue is for a robot/computer system or a foreign person trying to speak Japanese. And all in hiragana is for a kid or a funny character.
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=2555.msg58775#msg58775 date=1233138711
But usually in the game dialogue, it depends on the character personality and many things. Having a mix of hiragana and kanji while using katakana for foreign word is what they usually do. Using all katakana in the dialogue is for a robot/computer system or a foreign person trying to speak Japanese. And all in hiragana is for a kid or a funny characte

Eugh. This is why everyone should speak English...

;D

Which one? American, British, Welsh...the list goes on. Well Welsh probably isn't English. Bah, well you know what I mean. :P
Now seems like a good time to lock this.