OVERALL GAME BALANCE- REACHING PEAK CHARACTER PERFORMANCE

Pages: 1
I was wondering if anyone had a breakdown they used for how characters reach max stats in their game (by stats, I'm also including things like accuracy and defense), or simply what you think the best one is. Obviously the character has to invest in stats itself, but then there is armor, skills, items, other player buffs, quest buffs, etc. What breakdown would you use so that buff classes add a worthwhile value to the game without being overpowering? In some games, a bunch of buff toons can just get together and buff their attack and defense so high that they don't need attack-based or defense-based toons. I'd like to find a healthy balance.

One possible breakdown:

Self 50%
- Stats 20%
- Armor 20%
- Skills 10%

Items 10%

Buffs 40%
- Other Players 30%
- Quest or Guild 10%

Thoughts?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm exactly the wrong person to address this thread, because when I sit down to a game that includes stat-improvement items, I tend to want to hack/cheat said game to "give" myself a decent quantity to distribute between the available characters. Of course, if I can hack the stats directly, well, then!

That aside, if we're talking about what I expect a to see for an actual play experience, my distribution would probably look something like...

Raw Levels35%
Equipment30%
Skills15%
Buffs15%
Items5%?

...this? Not 100% sure, now that I think about it. I'm pretty sure I'm not counting "guilds" or "quests" in my "buff" category at all. Those bonuses would go into "raw levels" as far as I'm concerned, as those sources tend to earn players experience, thus leading to levels.

*Edit: One could probably argue "Skills" is the self-same category as "Buffs", to a certain extend.
There is no best distribution, how you divide it up between base stats, equipment, buffs and so on depends on a number of factors. Also, it does not have to be the same for every stat. For example, if we only focus on the character's base stats and equipment, I may do 60-70 base stats and 30-40 equipment for attack, while I do the opposite for defense.

The reason for that is twofold. One reason is that there is typically more armor slots than weapon slots, so this system prevents weapons from overshadowing the body armor in importance. The other reason is that defense is often more sensitive in terms of balance than attack and you have a better idea what equipment the player may have than level.

Consider following, an enemy deal 100 points of damage and each point of defense removes one point of damage. The first 25 additional points of defense you get will reduce the damage with 25%. If you after that get yet another 25 points of defense, that will reduce damage from 75 to 25, which is a 33% reduction. The third set of 25 points will grant a 50% damage reduction and finally, the last set of 25 defense will grant a 100% damage reduction or 96% if a minimum of 1 damage is enforced. As you see, defense just keeps getting more and more powerful.

Let's consider attack instead. You deal 100 points of damage and each point of attack adds 1 point of damage. The first 25 points of attack increase gives you a 25% damage increase. If you get an additional 25 points of attack, your damage goes from 125 to 150, which is a 20% increase. This is in opposite of defense where the significance of extra points kept increasing.

As far as buffs goes, you should not ask yourself how much of the stat should depends on buffs, rather you should ask yourself how effective the buffs should be.

If we take attack as an example, how much damage do you want the player to deal with an attack buff compared to without? Let's say you think +50% damage sounds right. Now you take enemy defense into account. Let's say the average up to date enemy has enough defense to cut damage by 40% and it's a subtractive system. The attack buff should increase attack by 30% in order for the player to deal +50% damage.

Do the same for defense and any other stat. How much less damage do you want a player to take with the defense up buff compared to without?

Depending on engine, you could also cheat and just directly grant the effect you want without actually altering the stats. For example, if you're using VX ACE and wants a defense up buff to cut the damage a player takes by 25%, you can skip counting average numbers and instead make it so that the defense up buff just cuts physical damage by 25% instead of granting a defense up increase. If you do so, then obviously 0% of your defense will be buffs.

Basically, how your stats are distributed among base stats, equipment and buffs depends on whatever way they end up being distributed once the game is balanced. You should not start with choosing the distribution.
Pages: 1