WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING?

I was just reading Briar Rose because I thought it interesting.

I was correct.
post=128462
How's Gertrude Orig?

I liked it! Short and thought-provoking. I feel like I should read it again, though, because I can't shake off the feeling the that the book had more to say than I payed attention to. The characters seemed to be there more as a way to represent certain emotions than they were to develop (except maybe Muoth, Kuhn, and Gertrude), but it didn't detract from the story so much as it did make the point clearer. I loved when the priest was talking to Kuhn about focusing on the needs of others when you're feeling melancholic. Hermann Hesse seems like a great author.

Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel García Márquez.
I just finished The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. It made me mad, because for the sake of entertainment the author made the story completely unbelievable and ridiculous, whereas the bare plot is pretty interesting. But then they throw in all this unrealistic sadism and the SECRET MISCHIEF MAKING SOCIETY, it felt like a young adult's version of Fight Club.

The Boat by Nam Le.
Happy
Devil's in the details
Dragons of the Hourglass Mage... yeah. I can't wait to start Fifth Age again and then Dhamon Saga which I've never even got a glimpse of yet.
The Boat was good for the most part. I liked four out of the seven stories, at least. I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach today and that was pretty bad. Now I'm starting up Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. Yes I bought it just 'cause the title is weird.
Wheel of Time, Crown of Swords.

WORLD CONQUERIN' MAN HATIN'
the Suzumiya Haruhi novels, already read some (The stuff past where the anime is up to) but now gone back to the start and reading through them all properly. Kyon's sarcastic comments and thoughts never cease to amuse me.
Jitterbug was terrible. All the absurdity got tiring after like 70 pages.

The Plague by Albert Camus.
Palimpsest, the Gore Vidal memoir. It is as enjoyably bitchy as you'd expect!
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. See you guys in a few months.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=130403
I'm on a BOAT

Anyway...

Took a break from Psychomech (which is pretty meh) to read Year of the Black Rainbow (also pretty meh, but how often do you get a free novel with your CD, lol) and now back to Psychomech. I haven't been able to muster much enthusiasm for anything in the literary realm since I finished the four available Song of Ice and Fire books earlier this year. Nothing else is as good. : (

George R.R. Martin needs to get off his ass and finally finish the next book. It has been "coming soon" for so long that people are seriously concerned it is "vaporware" at this point. And he is NOT a young man.
Legion, you'd like this: I'm listening to an audiobook of H.P. Lovecraft's "Herbert West: Reanimator" read by Jeffrey Combs, the dude who played Herbert West in the movie. :)

About 260-some pages into Karamazov. It's exhausting. Just finished "The Grand Inquisitor."
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I just finished "Scar Night" a little while ago. I felt like it should have been longer, but that's because i got like 3/5 of the way through "Otherland" with no end in sight and gave up. I had already read over 500 freakin pages of small text... there's 4 books in the series!

So, having finished Scar Night, I'm onto Iron Angel - the wife tells me it gets weirder somehow. I believe her.
Audiobooks are neat and convenient and shit! After the Quake by Haruki Murakami.

About 310 pages into Karamazov. I'm going for 20 pages a night.
Finally done with Karamazov!

Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata.