[RM2K3] SECONDARY INPUT KEYS?

Pages: 1
The keys H, J, K, L move the hero. C, V, B, N, M act like pressing X.

Is there a way to prevent this so I can define customs actions to those keys?
author=TheNecromancer

Are you using the official or unofficial version of Rm2k3? I know for the official from what I've seen, you can use Maniac's Patch which has the ability to use any key and mouse even. For the unofficial, there should be some plugin you can use with DYNRPG. Those are the only ways I know, otherwise, it's impossible to freely button map.
It's the unofficial version and I'm using dynrpg with the mouse_keyboard plugin. I want to set those keys with the plugin, except the engine seems to override and cause those buttons to do something else.

I don't remember those buttons being used like 10 years ago. Maybe it's always been like that and I never noticed. It seems kind of strange that the creators of RPG Maker would have 6 keys do the same thing. I just downloaded a game from 2007 and it seems to do the same thing.

Perhaps it's possible to change with a hex editor or something...
author=TheNecromancer

This patch deactivate all the letter keys:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tvbdqy28t8v2a2y/RPG_RT_NoLetterKeys.rar/file
author=kaine87
author=TheNecromancer

This patch deactivate all the letter keys:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tvbdqy28t8v2a2y/RPG_RT_NoLetterKeys.rar/file

Interesting, but if I'm reading it correctly it WILL disable Z and X? Meaning ENTER and ESC would have to be used? If that is true, then I can't use this.

This is a Dyn plugin made by cherry? I can't seem to find reference to it anywhere else though.
author=TheNecromancer
if I'm reading it correctly it WILL disable Z and X? Meaning ENTER and ESC would have to be used? If that is true, then I can't use this.

This is a Dyn plugin made by cherry? I can't seem to find reference to it anywhere else though.
yes!
It's an old patch made by cherry, not a dynplugin.
I found it on a German forum.
Anyway, if you use the keyboard/mouse plugin you should have no problem reconfiguring z and x
Oh, I see.

My problem would be the accept/cancel functions inherent to Z/X. I don't know of a way to recreate that with any plugin or code. All the game buttons are located around Z. To have the player use Enter to talk and navigate menus, would be quite disruptive.

It's so close to fitting my need. If only I could still keep those functions on Z and X, but disable the functions on the other keys.

Thanks for trying though.
It was always like this, since 2000. The idea is that you can use the spacebar as decision key and any key above it as cancel key (except for M, probably because it's least likely to be used and every function can have only 8 keys assigned, which is already filled up by Esc, Num0, Ins, X, C, V ,B, N). You can also play the game with one hand using HJKL and space, moving up the thumb to B or N to cancel, or on the numpad using Num2/4/6/8, Enter and Num0 (even if NumLock is off, that's why Ins works as cancel too).

Try this QuickPatch to disable the keys you mentioned:

DisableHJKLCVBN=46CCF7,00,46CD0C,00,46CD21,00,46CD36,00,46CD86,00,46CD90,00,46CD9A,00,46CDA4,00

Actually, if you are already modifying keys (potentially reducing the number of ways the game can be controlled), I'd recommend also registering Y as a decision key, since Z is in an awkward unusable position on some keyboards like my German one while Y is right next to X (instead of Z). This can be done with this QuickPatch, which must go below the previous one:

SetYDecision=46CDA0,94,46CDA4,59
Thanks Cherry

author=Cherry
It was always like this, since 2000. The idea is that you can use the spacebar as decision key and any key above it as cancel key

That makes sense. Interesting.

Try this QuickPatch to disable the keys you mentioned:

DisableHJKLCVBN=46CCF7,00,46CD0C,00,46CD21,00,46CD36,00,46CD86,00,46CD90,00,46CD9A,00,46CDA4,00

Where exactly do I put this?

I am modifying keys with an existing dynrpg plugin, keyboard_mouse_input. Minor changes to an .ini is the limit of my skills.

Actually, if you are already modifying keys (potentially reducing the number of ways the game can be controlled), I'd recommend also registering Y as a decision key, since Z is in an awkward unusable position on some keyboards like my German one while Y is right next to X (instead of Z). This can be done with this QuickPatch, which must go below the previous one:

SetYDecision=46CDA0,94,46CDA4,59

I already have a function on the Y key. Putting accept there would be kind of awkward. If my game ends up being played in other countries/configurations, I could always include special versions with proper controls.
Which version of DynRPG are you using? If it's 0.20 or higher (a strong indication is the existence of a "DynPatches" folder in your project in which you can drop IPS patch files), then you have support for quickpatches via DynRPG.ini. In the section "[QuickPatches]" in DynRPG.ini you can add them.

If not, let me know and I'll turn it into an IPS patch for you.
I didn't see QuickPatches heading in my DynRPG.ini file, but added it along with your other code and BAM! works like a charm. Thanks Cherry, you rock man.

Is there any kind of list of what functions can be changed via QuickPatches? I wasn't aware of this method and it seems powerful, if you know what you're doing.

All I can seem to find is this:

Example for two "real-life" quickpatches:
; Hides EXP in main menu and save screen
HideEXP=49E148,EB71,49F1CA,EB67,49F095,EB21
; Moves the window on the title screen to coordinates 144/56
MoveTitleWindow=490821,#144,490828,#56
Almost everything can be changed, it's essentially the same thing a regular patch like an IPS file does but instead of using a file (since it's usually not a lot in it) it's just text you can paste there, with the added bonus that you can have part of it easily adjustable by changing a number inside of it like the example with moving the title screen window. So there can't be a list because it's just another way of patching, requiring the same effort of creating the patch in the first place as other patches do.

The part before the = sign is just an arbitrary name, it can be anything. The part after the = sign is what does the job, it's a list of memory locations and values with which to overwrite the data there.

You can google for other DynRPG quickpatches and you'll find a ton.
Pages: 1