SOURCES FOR FREE MONSTER ART

Pages: 1
Hi all. I'm kumada, I've written some reviews and stuff, but I don't really have any programming ability so I've never posted a game on rmn.

I do develop tabletop games in my spare time, though, mostly on a $0 budget, and to that end I'm wondering if there are any packs of art made for use in rpgmaker that would also work for a tabletop game with a retro vibe.

Basically, does anyone know of any fanmade packs of monsters or characters that can be used in printed (well, PDF) commercial projects?

I've done some searching, but I also wanted to ask the experts here.
Unfortunately, stuff that normally could be used in game engines tend to be licensed for those engines and not commercial non-engine projects. If you can find some free-to-use ones, getting in contact with the creators would be a good idea.

I know that a fair amount of people tend to use RTP edits, which you wouldn't be able to, since the license for use binds them to the RM Engines. You could check the resources section for sets (I think there's some by JoSeraph and a few others in there) but again, getting in contact with the creators to make sure they're okay with you using them outside of an engine is okay or not - especially since someone else's printed art being used for commercial purposes is a huge deal to a lot of artists.
Thank you, Liberty!

And yeah, it's not my policy to use material belonging to an artist without asking permission. The only exceptions I make are for old book illustrations that have passed into the public domain, or photos posted to sites like Unsplash that have already been cleared for unlimited commercial use. Even then I credit the creator if I can find that information.

Since posting, I have gotten in touch with an artist who was okay with their work being used in print, so I've got enough monsters to put together my project. Still, I was hoping there was some big trove of public domain monster illustrations somewhere that had skated under my radar. Ah, well.
Pages: 1