GOALING IT 2021

Pages: 1
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Every year starts with generous resolutions. Resolutions We usually fail to fulfill. Frankly, I failed both my resolutions for 2019 and 2020. But that can't stop me from wanting to accomplish things in 2021 and from setting my goals reasonably high again. Do you have your own goals for 2021? Share them here!

Last year, my own resolution were humble, but they mostly got sabotaged by the pandemic. I didn't manage to travel at all and I didn't manage to finish my thesis. I managed to change other things in my life, tho, and it was an overall positive year for me. I feel more adult, independent a confident in situations I would have been anxious before the crisis. I failed to stay financially independent too and I relied on support of my oldies for at least two months too.

This year, I have another set of reasonable goals and I hope to meet all of them. Most of them are way less demanding and they shouldn't be damned by circumstances. Here I go (important goals are bolded and secondary goals are in italics):

1. Finish my master degree
2. Hike the Blauer Kammweg
3. Take my mother and my sisters to Madrid
4. Organize and attend RMN Meetup in Rome
5. Become financially independent and stable

The first goal means to write my thesis. It has been surprisingly difficult for me to sit down and write consistently. I need to change that and soon, because the longer I keep delaying it the more I pay for school.
The second goal is very likely to happen in May. It's a roughly 250 km long trail near the city I moved to last year. I don't need any special equipment and I should be able to finish the walk under 1 week.
The trip to Madrid was my Christmas present to my mom and sisters and It's supposed to motivate me to earn more money than I need from my day to day slacking. It might happen in the last third of they year, but I wouldn't mind terribly delaying it.
RMN meetup is very important for me as a forumite. I would like to see some of you in person and turn internet friendships into real ones. I think Rome is an ideal place for it with cheap flights from all over Europe. If no one else joins, I can at least share few slices and beers with OldPat.
Becoming reliably financially independent is important for me, because it's not fun to be out of money. I don't care about money a whole lot, but it's nice to be able to pay your rent and have enough left to live in dignity. Becoming financially stable isn't that important as far as I can make it through the year in black numbers.

Goaling it 2020
Goaling it 2019
1. Finish at least a demo of King of Grayscale 2
2. Start my next pre-sequel project proper
3. Drink More Water
4. Drink Less Soda
5. Get More Exercise
6. GIT GUD JORB
7. BE RICH
8. ?????
9. PROFIT
10. ALSO, FIRST!
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
I was going to say that AlaskanEmily's thread was being plagiarized / made more focused form '21, until I saw the other years' Goaling It threads linked. Whoops!

I remember setting goals for the gaming journal last year. I did not follow through. I ended my runs of DQ3 and FFT before the endgame as I always do, and I stopped recording progress for any other games I'd played. For this one, I wanna run it back with my goals. Let's see how they pan out, yeah? My goals, with commentary, are as such.

1) Finish Dragon Quest 3
If I had to list my top three video games, then in no order they're Super Mario RPG, Dragon Quest 3, and Final Fantasy Tactics. I've played those games since my teens (and maybe SMRPG earlier), but of the three? I'd only beaten SMRPG, albeit many times. For DQ3 and FFT, I've had multiple save files in the 15+ years I've fussed with those games.

The farthest I had ever gotten in DQ3 was to the Baramos fight, and I'd only gotten that far the first time I'd ever played. Which was the first time I'd played it. On the Gameboy Color. Many years ago. Where it stands right now, I'm just about to get in my shiny-new, black-pepper-purchased boat in the Super Famicom version. I have yet to encounter a total party wipe, my party comp is Hero-Warrior-Thief-Priest, and I will turn my Thief into a Sage.

2) Come out as trans IRL
At the time of my writing this, I have been on HRT for half a year. My current dosage is 100mg Spiro and 4mg Estradiol, taken daily. Unfortunately, if you met me in person right now, I wouldn't look the part. I am still closeted, because I've been afraid to come out all of last year. No more.

I want to obtain laser hair removal for my whole face, because I feel fake as hell wearing makeup. I want to get more feminine-adjacent clothing. Lastly, I need to come out to a family that I'm mostly estranged from, like it or not. I'd prefer to get all of this done by my one-year transition anniversary.

3) Finish more stuff for "A Lion in Scarlet"
My main fantasy world, let alone my main character Raziya the lioness, had been growing up alongside me for years now. If you'd asked a younger Rachel years back, she'd never have guessed that there'd be two finished RPG Maker games starring Raziya. This is because Raziya had first been conceived as a character for a fantasy Lion King retelling in RPG Maker. Also, I stole her old first name. XD

Those dreams are coming true, more and more as the days go by. Anything that I can share that's complete, and not just behind-the-scenes planning, will do. I want to complete more vignettes, short fiction, artwork, RM games, what have you.

4) Become a stronger person
I want to show myself more self-love. I want to be more open about being a pagan. I want to stop letting the opinions of assholes on the internet get the better of me. I want to stop letting pessimists and cynics get the better of me. I want to be better than the grudges I hold. I want to be more openly forgiving and kind. And I want to accept that yes, my emotions are going to be unstable sometimes as they've always been, and to not fear or beat myself up over my darker and angrier moments.

Luckily, I've shown progress of this ever since the start of the year. I'm not perfect, nor am I as strong as I want to be right now. But progress exists, and I refuse to be the victim any longer. At the least, I may have a clinical name for what's wrong, and it's one I'm bringing up with my counselor and psych to get a confirmation for or against my hunch. Like all things, like I'd done before in my worst moments last year, I will survive and thrive.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
1. Move Up a Level in Six Sigma Certification
It's a quality improvement certification used in military, manufacturing, and healthcare, though applicable to all business. I've been on the second level of four for a few years now and just got lazy and stopped trying to study and test for the next stage.

2. Ask for a Raise or Find a Better Job
I'm on the management team of a medical clinic and I could be making more almost anywhere else doing less.

3. Read More
I have a huge backlog of books to read that I buy because they sound interesting, but it can take me months or years to even start them, then I often take months to finish them if I do at all. Flashing lights are too much more interesting for me.

4. Play More Games
In addition to my book backlog, I have a huge backlog of games. Same reason, too. Seem interesting, buy them, take months or years to start, take forever to finish. The distraction here is playing games I've played a million times because the familiarity makes the games easier, and gives my reptile brain a stronger sense of accomplishment when I progress more quickly. I've beaten Final Fantasy X Remastered on both PS3 and PSVita and beat it on PS2 back in the day, but haven't finished Final Fantasy XII Remastered once (and never finished it on PS2). I also get distracted by things like Call of Duty because the rank progression gets to me on a deep psychological level, because let's face it, modern Call of Duty is an MMO ARPG.
My only resolution for the last 6 or so years has been the same: "Keep trying to be the best me I can be"

Trying to make a serious goal, especially a game dev goal, is only a source of stress, guilt and typically doesn't even lead to the goal happening.

Why make a resolution I'm not gonna meet and is just going to stress me out? :P
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
That is a valid way to look at it, Aegix. Most New Years' resolutions die within the first week. That's not even counting making a big goal about personal ambitions and being crushed that it's not happening. Believe me on that.

With that said, I'm still reaching for mine. At the very least, my numbers one and two are within reach and things I really want. I know all but beating DQ3 will require a lot of my patience and time, and technically speaking I doubt four will ever truly be met. Patience and self-love are gonna be crucial overall.

Ahh, I also for got my obligatory get healthier resolution. I actually plan on at the very least attempting it this time.
I've personally got two goals:

Finally release version 1.0 of Draug's Resurrection. At this point, this subdivides into three categories;
a.) Write the epilogues and branching texts to get into those various epilogues.
b.) Make hundreds of kinda-not-that-important but make-you-look-like-an-idiot-if-you-don't-do-them battle sprites and East/West facing sprites for NPCs.
c.) Just, the most bugtesting and balancing ever.

Do a playthrough of (and maybe review) at least two other RPGMaker games. I've been meaning to get back to this, but I can't play other games and focus on making my own at the same time; I lose focus when I try, and when you're guts-deep in code, it's not a good idea. The fact that nobody actually wants me to touch their stuff is also kind of a non-motivating factor. I don't feel like I'd be helping anyone by doing so, so I haven't.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
This topic is always a good idea every year!
My personal goals are the following:

1) Release Karma Flow 2 - Tears of a Ghost
This will happen!
No more goofing around!

2) Traveling around a lot as soon as this Covid shit lifts off. Japan and Ireland are in my list of next places I wanna visit, together with Canada.
3) Staying close to my friends and hanging around our usual places as much as I can. Maybe planning some other trip with them.
4) Becoming financially indipendent and find a place for myself.
5) Join Cap and hopefully other RMN bros too in our quest for pizza and beer in Italia!
6) Watch *tons* of movies and TV series and keeping up with my reviews in order to improve my English.
7) Improve my English.

Quite a ton of goals, hopefully I'll manage to tick off most of em by the end of 2021!

Good luck to all of you as well!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Ok, I kinda managed to achieve my last goal, but the rest was a failure. The other day, when on train, I suddenly came up with reasonable goals for 2022, but I've already managed to forget them. Hopefully, their will resurface and I will be able to write them down.
Well I got in my local paper. I'm a celeb where I live. Ironic because I didn't do much but people love my books that I do. Yes I am an illustrator, though I plan to branch out and do more. I wrote two books about pups I have walked. Dog art sells? I guess so. I can write, realism, cartoon, photoshop, rpeg, make music, code websites, illustrate, digital paint, ink pen, cook, clean like a maniac, ORGANIZE like a boss

Though my goals are the weight. I am not that fat but more exercise as a goal. Get some more books done, actually TRY AND FINISH A F***N game i start things do things trail off and then nothing goes anywhere and boshboshbosh I also edit other peoples games I find need WORK but I haven't uploaded anything bc rpg 2000 games and 2003 games is kinda like darwinism in full blast mode activate!!! I did have a girlfriend for a bit but I haven't even thought about marriage. I want a golden retriever like Super Cooper <3 I must actually produce enough work to get somwhere as retirement costs money kinda like MP, I need Retirement Points dog some RP lol

also get rid of this autism "label" that haunts me and i feel like is a social insult for someone who is inept or a monkey idk

Pages: 1