2021 MISAOS - THOUGHTS, IDEAS, PLANS

iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Liberty
Also, I said we're discouraging rips not that we're kicking people out for using them. We've yet to purge any rip games and won't in the future as long as they hold up to our current rip standards of "don't fuck over fellow indies with your ripping practices/stick to old, outdated rips that won't get anyone sued pls"

Someone wanting to use FF4 rips? go forth, I won't tell.
Someone ripping Stardew Valley or Hero's Realm? GTFO
Someone using FF5 rips in a commercial game? You can GTFO as well, unless you show me proper proof that Square let you

(and yes, these are the basic rips rules and have been for years now. I have denied a few games that thought it was cute to steal shit from games like Undertale and Corpse Party without permission.)

That is reassuring!
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I heard a lot about the problem with everything being during the holidays, but who says that the awards have to be given out yearly or on certain dates.

Currently our time frame is Jan-Dec.

But could it be changed to example: August2021-July2022 if you want to keep a full year.

Or you could hold 2 awards per year.

January - June
July - December
iddalai
Yeah, that makes sense. I suggested something similar.
No and no.

Sorry, but having them more than once it a year is a big nope and the traditional start to end is silly to mess with when it's always been a round-up of "best games the past year". Changing dates would not help that and the timeline is uncomplicated due to ending at the end and starting at the start. Asking people to use their brainpower to remember weird random dates is rude af.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I mostly agree with Liberty. The Misaos are, effectively, an annual awards show. It makes no sense to split them up into smaller parts, or to have it span multiple years. What I could could see happening would be something akin to a situation report in June/July, taking a look at how many nominations there are. Maybe have an additional call for more nominations (or just play more RM games in general?) because why not. Though, the "real" Misao nomination-season would only be about three months later, so, I dunno how useful such a thing would be.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Liberty
Asking people to use their brainpower to remember weird random dates is rude af.

I mean I barely remember the Misaos exist, but somehow every year y'all manage to remind people to vote for them without too much trouble, so I don't think it'd be that big an issue.

Not that I have any strong opinions on the idea of multimisaos.
I mean, there's a big difference between "starts voting January 1st" which is already a deadline in everyone's brain for a very big reason and "starts voting july 1st" which isn't.

Especially as it's been that way since they started way back in the early 2000s. Changing it now just for a random arbitrary reason seems silly when there's already a perfectly good date for it as is.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Yeah my point is just that the excuse of "people won't remember" is silly when everything gets announced anyway.
iddalai
author=Liberty
No and no.

Sorry, but having them more than once it a year is a big nope and the traditional start to end is silly to mess with when it's always been a round-up of "best games the past year". Changing dates would not help that and the timeline is uncomplicated due to ending at the end and starting at the start. Asking people to use their brainpower to remember weird random dates is rude af.

Ok. I see you are adamant about not changing the dates, that's fine.

But consider that the months of December and January are pretty busy, and it's also rude af to ask people to focus on this hobby then.

I forgot to mention before that what I agreed with kory_toombs was the changing of dates. Having more than one Misao voting per year would probably muddle things further.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
what is rude about asking? Forcing people would be rude. Dunno, I feel like the awards are working pretty well right now (outside of certain categories) and small adjustments are what rmn should focus on.
Marrend
Is it really considered "rude af" to have a push to nominate/vote for the Misaos as the periods for such become closer and closer to ending? Would that tenancy really change, even if one supposes that dates do?

*Edit: I mean, as I've said, I can see where Liberty is coming from. I understand the logic of being able to say, for example, "THESE are the most popular BEST games of 2020!" However, I understand that the other side of this argument wants to see some more/better turnout, and maybe changing where the Misao season begins and ends could do that?
Ya'll hung up on one word ignoring the rest of what was said, like for reals.

Okay, maybe rude isn't the correct word. Sorry I'm not a word magician 24/7. Better word. Inconsiderate? Bothersome for others? Annoying for them? idk, when you're dealing with an event that has been held in one specific time for the last 20~ish years and then change it when those who know of it know it's at the end/start of the year, isn't it kinda RUDE or something to just change it for no other reason than ...what? I don't like tradition or something.

Some traditions are trash and should be done away with. Others, not so much. I don't think this one is trash, personally, and I think changing it just for the sake of changing it is kinda rude to those who know to expect it, especially if they're not around 24/7.

We're not talking about just some random event here, we're talking about one that has been passed through sites and has a history in the community. Maybe because a lot of you weren't around back then it doesn't feel that special to you, but for some people it's something that is kinda special and it's always been a yearly roundup. It makes no sense to change it to middle of the year just coz.

Also, afaik, July-ish is as hectic for a lot of people as Jan/Dec is due to schooling and shit anyway. We'd never find a good schedule if we bounced around the year because someone is always gonna be busy. At least Jan/Dec is actual holidays for almost all the world. Sure, that's part of what makes it hectic - for some - but with holidays comes an expectation of time to self and part of that is time to play. Of course, not everyone is going to be able to find the time what with Christmas and shit, but for the most part they have TIME which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for June/July, where you got about 2-weeks worth of time off, if that, for most of the world.

Christmas and New Years is hectic but it's also almost UNIVERSALLY time where people do have time to focus on hobbies and shit.

Also I don't condone stupid american schooling timekeeping. fuck the police, new year starts at new year and making things halfway through the year as a new year is fucking stupid. yolo360weed
author=Liberty
Also, afaik, July-ish is as hectic for a lot of people as Jan/Dec is due to schooling and shit anyway. We'd never find a good schedule if we bounced around the year because someone is always gonna be busy. At least Jan/Dec is actual holidays for almost all the world. Sure, that's part of what makes it hectic - for some - but with holidays comes an expectation of time to self and part of that is time to play. Of course, not everyone is going to be able to find the time what with Christmas and shit, but for the most part they have TIME which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for June/July, where you got about 2-weeks worth of time off, if that, for most of the world.

I dunno about ya'll, but I sure as heck don't have family to visit and events to plan for outside of Christmas time.

Wrap that around the fact unless you're some sort of super business person that actually gets off the week (and one week only) of Christmas, idk most of us lowbies only seem to get off.. Christmas Day? Maybe? idk, that sounds pretty busy to me. What are you doing in June/July? Cooking for a week long Independence Day celebration?

Sticking to tradition this hard because "That's how it's been done for 20 years" sure sounds 'American' in my book.
I'm open to change here.❤ If you can round up enough people who share a similar opinion on this issue - and unless there's a reason why we can't do this through RMN's current misao nomination system - I would be willing to try this.

However, keep in mind that it takes a lot of work from all of us here on RMN to put the misaos together every year without an automated system in place. 2019 and 2020, were arguably very successful years. This came about from studying how the misaos currently worked and then working to it's strength. While we're currently fixing the problem with nominations, having a 5 way split and a selection of 10 games for 2020, has probably been the best year misaos has ever been - I agree with Cap_H, I'd like to continue that and figure out how to nail this down before making any drastic changes. we've finally eliminated sweeps (maybe?), and the categories are great to gather more games from this year.

I'm not saying no to this. But what I am saying is, if you can get enough people to agree to this and voice their opinion. I'd be down for this change. RMN is after all a community about rpgmaker games and we should be figuring out ways to gather the best content from our site with the least amount of work - This is kind of what the misaos is, in reality. It's not just an award ceremony, it's not just a popularity contest, it's not just a great list of the games - it's all 3 of these things. It's a way to annually gather and highlight a list of games from the site, but also ones we may have missed, from that year on RMN. So that years later, when we go back to check this list, we have a great selection of games to choose from - That's what the Misaos are. A great list of games at the end of the year. Right now, we're currently trying to make changes to it so that it works consistently.

If 2020 was just luck and this year somehow turns out to be awful, I'll be down for this change - but let's see how this year goes first. We've finally, sort of, eliminated sweeps - So yeah, one victory at a time here, please. I can understand the frustration but rest assured I'm listening to you guys and I'm doing everything I can to make this work, for everyone.

...Also keep in mind I'm only good for one video promo per year - I'm not even sure If I can make one this year.
Sooz
author=Liberty
Ya'll
author=Illy
ya'll,

Speaking of being hung up on one word,
NO. BAD.
I'm putting my foot down on this. When I'm no longer here, feel free to change it up, but no on this.
Marrend
I know the subject is pretty much dead on arrival, but, let me try coming at the issue of when the Misao period should start/end from a different angle.

Getting people to vote in January doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. 2018's vote-count of 902 is among the lowest vote-counts, with the lowest ever being in 2009 at 737. However, in general terms, we can seem to expect over 1000 votes for a given period. LordBlueRouge has stated on many occasions that a 1200 vote-count is considered average. However, the vote-count isn't even the issue here. I think the point of changing the start/end times is about garnering more nominations.

There's no visible record for total nominations after the voting phase starts, so we can only rely on the Misao threads, themselves, to see if there are any such numbers quoted. Last year we had 412 nominations with 556 in 2019 and 327 in 2018. However, these are just the total number of nominations. They do not imply when people actually nominate. In this respect, it might be worth it to know where the nomination count lies on a month-by-month basis.

*Edit: For what it's worth, our 2021 Misao nomination count currently stands at 4, with February fast coming to a close.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Since Liberty doesn't like my idea about changing the dates, and it was just an idea...

Why are their no achievements for the Misaos? Not just for winning one, but perhaps you can get one for nominating in each category and voting as well. People are really motivated by tangible rewards. (I actually think we should backroll this too, so that previous years winners can also get achievements.)
Marrend
I'm looking through last year's Misao winners to see how many of them were a featured game.

Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening? Featured.
The MirBox? Not featured.
Beetle Ninja? Featured.
THERAPIST: Mind Manager? Featured.
Moonsong: First Verse? Not featured. I understand it's on the stack!
Shooty and the Catfish: Fully Reloaded? Not featured.
The game with no name? Not featured.
Exile's Journey? Featured.
Phileas's Mirror? Featured this month!
Soma Union? Not featured, but probably could at some point.
iddalai
author=Liberty
I'm putting my foot down on this. When I'm no longer here, feel free to change it up, but no on this.

Do whatever you want.
I understand why you want to keep the Misao dates, but I don't like your attitude here, pulling the admin card.

Doesn't seem like a good way to foster a healthy community.

Why ask people what they think in the first place, if you're not gonna take into account what they have to say?