2021 MISAOS - THOUGHTS, IDEAS, PLANS

I have been more than flexible and put into motion ideas that people have had already. Not every idea is gonna be a winner, though. I'm allowed to play the admin card to say no to something. That's why there is an admin - so that some things get told no and other things get told yes. Someone needs to make the decisions and I've said no on this thing. That's it. I've said yes on others. Not everything is going to be a yes, just as not everything is going to be a no.

I don't get paid for what I do here, and never have. I do it out of love so excuse me if I decide to say no to one thing that I personally don't like. How very dare I have a preference for something on the site I run.
author=Liberty
I have been more than flexible and put into motion ideas that people have had already. Not every idea is gonna be a winner, though. I'm allowed to play the admin card to say no to something. That's why there is an admin - so that some things get told no and other things get told yes. Someone needs to make the decisions and I've said no on this thing. That's it. I've said yes on others. Not everything is going to be a yes, just as not everything is going to be a no.

I don't get paid for what I do here, and never have. I do it out of love so excuse me if I decide to say no to one thing that I personally don't like. How very dare I have a preference for something on the site I run.

But it's not your site Liberty, it's everyone's. You came in charge because the community wanted Kentona step down. You were the one with the highest marker score so Kentona asked you to help out with admistrative roles - Maybe it's time we have another administrator on board to help out.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
My memory is that kentona stepped down from admin duties because he wanted to? Perhaps that memory is faulty, but, it certainly wasn't from us asking that of him. Like, if he really wanted to continue, I think the community would have been behind him. Alas, he didn't.

*Edit: Er, this is kinda derailing the topic. Please direct suggestions on how the site should/could be run to the User Feedback section. Let this thread be suggestions for the Misaos!
author=LordBlueRouge
But it's not your site Liberty, it's everyone's.

So everyone should vote !

I personally would vote to keep the current Misaos date simply because there is no substantial benefit to change it.
How Liberty got to be admin:

She worked her way up by volunteering to do shit, then got given more shit, then kentona dumped it in her lap and she was left as the only one who knew how to do shit, then she tried to teach others to do shit but they kept skipping out on shit.

This has been my ted talk.

kentona was never forced to leave and I have no idea where you got that idea. He had too much on his plate (and I frankly don't blame him for leaving because it's a lot to deal with even with help) and something had to give. Never did anyone ask him to step down. Never was it agreed that I wasn't fucking admin and never was it said that this was everyone's site to rule.

I've been admin since he stepped back. I've been making decisions, supported by my mods. I think you're misconstruing someone in charge listening to the people around them and making decisions based on those thoughts with some sort of communist state of being.

I am the admin of this site. It's my site to run. I listen when needed and make decisions based on the opinions of others, but do not mistake that I am the one who says yay or nay to something. I am very open and willing to work with my staff and my moderators. I am very open to leaning on their decisions when it comes to things but I will step in and say no or yes to something if I think it needs doing a certain way.

As I am doing with this one small aspect of Misaos. I prefer a give and take and talk it through take on leadership but I am still the one leading and part of that is saying yes or no to something. In this case I am saying no. In other cases I said yes.

Now, please recall that this is a suggestion topic. Just because something is suggested doesn't mean it's going to make it through to implementation.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
TBH it's pretty rude to demand the admin do everything you want unless you're going to step up and do all the accompanying work as well.

Adminning and modding are a huge pain and you don't even get the reward of a ridiculous power trip or adulation. Mostly it's just user constantly mad at you for various reasons.

You want real control over the site? Volunteer to help out and follow through. Anything less than that and you have zero business making demands.
author=LordBlueRouge
But it's not your site Liberty, it's everyone's. You came in charge because the community wanted Kentona step down. You were the one with the highest marker score so Kentona asked you to help out with admistrative roles - Maybe it's time we have another administrator on board to help out.

This is just extremely inaccurate.
Liberty is literally handling the site with no pay. If there's anyone passionate about RMN, it's her. She worked her ass for it not because of the highest makerscore.

I do agree with dividing Misaos through a Season 1 and a Season 2 a year but at the end of the day, who is going to handle all of that work every year? I'm pretty sure it's going to be Liberty. Once you start something like that, it's going to be hard to change it and it's just more work for admin.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Like I really like the idea of a double misaos but goddam if the admin doesn't want to do it, just deal with it, don't pitch a dang fit like you're entitled to stuff because you post on a forum.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=iddalai
author=Liberty
I'm putting my foot down on this. When I'm no longer here, feel free to change it up, but no on this.
Do whatever you want.
I understand why you want to keep the Misao dates, but I don't like your attitude here, pulling the admin card.

Doesn't seem like a good way to foster a healthy community.

Why ask people what they think in the first place, if you're not gonna take into account what they have to say?

This is nonsense. Someone can ask for suggestions and still put their foot down on stuff that's too much to handle. It's normal, good and healthy to lay down boundaries like this, especially considering this is all volunteer work that she has to shoulder.

"Doesn't seem like a good way to foster a healthy community" is a crappy thing to say to someone who's been busting their butt for years keeping this site going and has done a darn good job keeping things fair and fun around here. She gets a ton of crap and never enough thanks for all she has to do here, on discord, and behind the scenes.

author=LordBlueRouge

Wow, you're being awfully pushy. I know you're passionate about this site and the Misaos, but last I checked you had already gotten a bunch of the stuff you wanted for the future of the Misaos approved, and now you're still asking for more and getting awfully huffy when refused.

Again, super rude to Liberty. Again, she's been busting her butt for years and doesn't deserve you minimizing her efforts.
That's how I started. I started out as a helper. I ran forum events (like writing and pixel quilts and the like) and gave suggestions. I got roped in as a Helper (it was what staff was before it was staff, but without event abilities) - someone who got to see behind the scenes and give opinions on things. Opinions and suggestions, not demands and pushing those in charge to do what I or others wanted.

During that time WIP left the site and kentona came into charge... for a few days. I was made a mod, WIP came back and I was thrown back into being just a normal member. Not even Helper status anymore. I didn't even get to do anything with my mod status at the time - I was away for the time it took for me to be mod and back to member. XD

I worked back up to Helper. I eventually got to run a few events. Deckiller left the site and I took over as the queue keeper. Eventually kentona started to get too busy so he gave me more jobs - doing spotlights, doing featured games, more events, etc.

After years at this kentona couldn't keep being admin. He decided to step back and gave me the site. I got a PM out of nowhere - I didn't see it coming and was blindsided, but the site was then mine. I was made admin. Kentona has kept dealing with server fees and such since he knows the deets, and he's done various back site upkeep and such with anky, but I'm the actual admin. I picked and chose mods and staff. I tried to teach others how to run stuff like the front page (apparently no-one wanted it because they kept leaving).

I have been on this site since 2008, and worked to keep it up and going. Sometimes I miss a thing or two and kentona slips in to put up something I've forgotten but I made it here through hard fucking work and dedication and having someone just sweep in and say "This isn't your site" is not only insulting and demeaning of all the work I've put in to keep the site up and working, all the interaction I've done with other sites and work I still do, it's disheartening.

Sorry I said no to what you wanted but fucking hell, dude. At least get your facts straight before coming at people.

EDIT: Oh, god, thank you guys, you don't have to step in like that, but I do appreciate the support so much. I'm crying you fucks ;.;

hugs for all you lot. sorry if it seems people are dumping on you lbr, I understand you're upset about plans and ideas being cut short but sometimes you gotta give and take and I've been doing that. I try to be flexible whilst still being realistic about stuff and if you do fuck off like many have before (music pack, anyone?) then I'm left with the slack. I can only do so much and as much as I want to be able to trust people to do what they say they will, I've been proven wrong again and again.
Hey kids! What's going on in here?
...I want a raise.
Sooz
author=kentona

Talkin about who we're gonna vote for Prom Queen.
author=Sooz
author=kentona
Talkin about who we're gonna vote for Prom Queen.

I'm voting unity.

Okay, so aside from "twice a year" and "in the middle of the year" do we have any other suggestions?

- I'm already planning some review events so people are encouraged to play this years' games
- I'm considering a game-bingo event at some point, where people get a bingo card of randomly generated games to come from this year that they try and fill out in order to get a prize or something. still figuring this one out.
- Event round-ups will be a thing - probably a series of articles, one for each event, with a basic run-down of the games that came from each event and links to the pages of which can then be linked to on review event pages.
- Videos. Maybe quarterly ones? Showcasing the most promising games from that quarter?
- More interaction-based small events. I'm thinking about bringing back sidequests on the discord (and maybe also making a topic here for them).

What would be good for the community to do:
- point out great games you play during the year in the gaming 2021 topic (there's a link in the small banner bar at the top of the page)
- giving love to your fellow devs sometimes, playing more games (even if they're short ones) and commenting on each others' works. I'll try to give reasons to do so but it's an everyone job and I can only do so much.
- nominate when you play a game. I'll try to have events and stuff that encourage this, but if you play a game and like it, make it a habit to head to nominations page and see if there's a spot you like it for (this is what I tend to do btw)

Any other ideas?
Sooz
unity's not in the running she's not a video game!
Unless anyone else wants to be subject to $20k lawsuit threats I am nominally in charge of RMN. Liberty runs the site day to day.
author=Marrend
My memory is that kentona stepped down from admin duties because he wanted to? Perhaps that memory is faulty, but, it certainly wasn't from us asking that of him. Like, if he really wanted to continue, I think the community would have been behind him. Alas, he didn't.

*Edit: Er, this is kinda derailing the topic. Please direct suggestions on how the site should/could be run to the User Feedback section. Let this thread be suggestions for the Misaos!

Thanks Marrend.❤

Alright, I'll write my suggestions in the staff/user feedback. I'm just tired of one person managing the site all the time.
It really doesn't have to be this way. We really should be delegating duties and sharing responsibilities here. I'd really like to take on more duties if that's what this mean. But I'll write about it in the staff forums.
Hi,
I don't have too much insight about this event (I only read about the Misao rules to learn that you could nominate for all the year). I'm unsure you can get a community of floating players voting for games if they don't know about the event (for me, it's an annual event as a point, with the results, a little like french Alex d'Or).
The best guess I have would be to incitate some behaviors:
- developpers to write on their gamepage to click the nominate button if the player liked the game (you can never have too much pub) => this might go against a certain idea of Misao where people are voting for a game as they wish, but it could be a good reminder.
- make short articles (monthly? by seasons?) to remind players to nominate?
As of now, it's the phase where you're almost sure the game has been spotlighted by players.
I've a question? Is the vote opened to non rm members? If that's not the case, you're probably losing a potent amount of votes, so maybe nominations could be external to RMN?
The event is open to non-rpgmaker devs, however you do need to have a game page here for the game to be nominated and it is site-centric.