2021 MISAOS - THOUGHTS, IDEAS, PLANS

SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=kentona
Unless anyone else wants to be subject to $20k lawsuit threats I am nominally in charge of RMN. Liberty runs the site day to day.

You can send the threats to me, being in Taiwan makes me relatively immune to that sort of thing.

And if anyone has too much on their plate, in terms of reviewing submissions, I'm sure there's some long time users who would have no issue helping with that.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LordBlueRouge
author=Marrend
My memory is that kentona stepped down from admin duties because he wanted to? Perhaps that memory is faulty, but, it certainly wasn't from us asking that of him. Like, if he really wanted to continue, I think the community would have been behind him. Alas, he didn't.

*Edit: Er, this is kinda derailing the topic. Please direct suggestions on how the site should/could be run to the User Feedback section. Let this thread be suggestions for the Misaos!
Thanks Marrend.❤

Alright, I'll write my suggestions in the staff/user feedback. I'm just tired of one person managing the site all the time.
It really doesn't have to be this way. We really should be delegating duties and sharing responsibilities here. I'd really like to take on more duties if that's what this mean. But I'll write about it in the staff forums.

You're timing on this is pretty suspect, given the circumstances. Earlier, people had questions about one of your ideas, and your response was "just trust me, just give me this, I will handle it, you will see" and you kept repeating that until we relented.

Now, when the admin puts her foot down and says "no" to something you want, you're suddenly minimizing her role and wanting her duties to be divvied up. Here's the thing: That could even be a good idea, and I'm all for Liberty being able to worry about less and delegate more if she's comfortable with that.

But someone will always need to be in charge, and that someone should always be able to put their foot down and say no to you. And suggesting staff restructuring right after you don't get something you want doesn't exactly say "trustworthy person who deserves more authority" to me.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't have any additional ideas, but, I still kinda want to keep track of nominations on a month-by-monty basis, just for the purposes of collecting that data. Plus, it might be a cool thing to see what effect Misao-centric events have on nominations.
author=Liberty
The event is open to non-rpgmaker devs, however you do need to have a game page here for the game to be nominated and it is site-centric.

Sorry, I made a mistake, I was talking about nominations (but it could work for votes too), but I guess you answered the question (site-centric = no nomination/vote from non members). It would be interesting, but it would ask for delocalization, and there are already quite a few votes so that the winners are good.
Good luck!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Marrend
I don't have any additional ideas, but, I still kinda want to keep track of nominations on a month-by-monty basis, just for the purposes of collecting that data. Plus, it might be a cool thing to see what effect Misao-centric events have on nominations.

Ooh, that would own, especially if y'all announce the monthly nominations, since that'd remind people to nominate!
Marrend
I'd only have access to the total nominations, like anybody else. Though, from that value, I can infer how many nominations occur in a given month. Being more specific than that might be interesting in it's own right, but, I'm willing to work within my bounds here.

*Edit: Relaying this info could be a separate thread. It could also be something I could post when kentona posts his stat-threads. I'm not going to lie, I think I like the idea of posting with the stat-threads and it's lazier this way. However, being a separate (stickied?) thread might make the findings more visible/searchable. Thoughts on this?
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
I have no more suggestions.

So this thread isn't derailed further, I'm posting about what happened here: https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/25682/?post=919318#post919318
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Marrend
I'd only have access to the total nominations, like anybody else. Though, from that value, I can infer how many nominations occur in a given month. Being more specific than that might be interesting in it's own right, but, I'm willing to work within my bounds here.

*Edit: Relaying this info could be a separate thread. It could also be something I could post when kentona posts his stat-threads. I'm not going to lie, I think I like the idea of posting with the stat-threads and it's lazier this way. However, being a separate (stickied?) thread might make the findings more visible/searchable. Thoughts on this?

Porque no los dos?
Marrend
author=Sooz
Porque no los dos?

Forgive me for not understanding that, and putting it through Google translate.

Either way, I put up this thread. I could probably use some feedback on the formatting and notable games, though?
Quick suggestion, how about we have a little message pop up on the download page?

Example

"Thank you for downloading *StarSkippiscool*

If you liked this game and it's your kind of jam, maybe nominate me for the end of year Misaos? Let your voice be heard"

It would be a really good way to prime the player into thinking about the misaos right before they even started the game. You can still do quarterly reminders, but I do honestly think that a simple message per person per download would go a long long way.
Sooz
I like the idea, but I worry that any kind of popup will lead people to just habitually pass it over and ignore the text
And those with adblock or the like probably wouldn't get it, either.

I like the stat thing, Marrend. If you want to do that then it'd be a great idea for future events to know, however it'd be good to have a non-hype year baseline and I don't think we want to do that kind of thing anytime soon. We can make do with the information we get though.
I agree with self advertising. I don't see it being shameful of a dev to put in a request for misao nominations if the readers experience was enjoyable after the end credits, or maybe in a blog update when the game is released.

Maybe it's possible to have some site algorithm that makes the 'nominate' link all glowy or something if the game is eligible that year?

Probably too much work, but meh.
Marrend
@Starskipping: Well, if the download page you're referring to is something along the lines of...

[url]http://rpgmaker.net/games/game_id/downloads/download_id[/url]

...this, I don't even know how many people would even see that page. My guess is that most folks would click on the big "Download Now" button on the gamepage, though, I could certainly be wrong here.
Sooz
author=Illy
I agree with self advertising. I don't see it being shameful of a dev to put in a request for misao nominations if the readers experience was enjoyable after the end credits, or maybe in a blog update when the game is released.

Hell yeah! Creatives need to be a lot less scared of tooting their own damn horns.

Maybe it's possible to have some site algorithm that makes the 'nominate' link all glowy or something if the game is eligible that year?

Oh man that would own.
author=Illy

All for people using their blogs and stuff to advertise. I know some people use the status update area for it (though it's not really for that XD) but more self-advertising is a good idea. Maybe a 'sell yourself' mini-event or something?

I'll be starting on the first of the event articles once I do my stream of the current event - gotta know what the games are about before I can talk about them, after all XD

I like the idea of making the Nominate button stick out if a game is eligible, though we then run into the issue of patches and the like triggering it (maybe a way to manually deny a game from being eligible on the back side of the site would be a good idea). I'll ask anky about it and see if we can come up with a way to make it happen. Or to make the Nomination button at least more prominent.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I'm on liberty's side btw. I also think that overthinking the misaos can only lead to disappointment. They're only community awards followed by a bunch of rmn weirdos after all.