[FEEDBACK NEEDED!] MARREND'S 2020 MISAO COMPLIATION THREAD: LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

Pages: first 12 next last
....I wanted to wait till I got back from my doctor's appointment today and slept a little before posting this.

You may have missed it already, but have you guys seen the thread Marrend posted in the Misaos Results thread? It's something that Marrend and I had planned together, but Marrend worked really hard on in private.

Do you guys like it? Would you want this to be the new way misaos winners are posted every year? Or in addition to Liberty posting the winners?

Let us know what you think; there's not much we can do in terms of site administration - The only reason why we couldn't do this ourselves is because neither Marrend or I are admins so we don't have access to the numbers. - But I felt like this would solve most of the problems we talked about in the thread and give a more accurate representation of the games that came out for 2020, so that years from now, users can go back and see what the RMN games of 2020 were like.

Let us know what you think about the layout below.
Very happy with the responses it's already been getting.
-----------------------------------

Nominees sorted by number of won categories.

Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening by unity

Winner of:
Game of the Year
Best Game Title
The Dark Souls of RMN
Trippiest Game
Nominated for:
Best Game Title
Best Game Profile
"Eye Candy" Award
Excellence in Narrative
The Dark Souls of RMN
Trippiest Game
Not Dead Yet Award
Star Stealing Prince Award
"Everlasting Journey" Award
Game of the Year

Beetle Ninja by 16bitking

Winner of:
The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
Summoner of Sounds
Punniest Game Alive
Nominated for:
"Eye Candy" Award
Summoner of Sounds
The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award
Punniest Game Alive
Game of the Year

Exile's Journey by dethmetal

Winner of:
Not Dead Yet Award
Nominated for:
"Eye Candy" Award
Summoner of Sounds
Excellence in Narrative
The Dark Souls of RMN
Punniest Game Alive
Not Dead Yet Award
Most Promising Demo (cannot be counted)
Game of the Year

THERAPIST: Mind Manager by calunio

Winner of:
Excellence in Narrative
Nominated for:
Best Game Title
Excellence in Narrative
Best Non-English Game (cannot be counted)
Game of the Year

Moonsong: First Verse by Kaempfer

Winner of:
Best Short Game Award
Nominated for:
"Eye Candy" Award
Excellence in Narrative
Best Short Game Award
Game of the Year

Phileas's Mirror by Kenetec

Winner of:
Best Non-English Game
Nominated for:
"Eye Candy" Award
Best Non-English Game

Shooty and the Catfish: Fully Reloaded by visitorsfromdreams

Winner of:
Year of the Hedgehog
Nominated for:
Punniest Game Alive
Year of the Hedgehog

The MirBox by Mirak

Winner of:
Best Game Profile
Nominated for:
Best Game Profile

The game with no name by JustAShyDoge

Winner of:
Best Event Game
Nominated for:
Best Event Game

Soma Union by Sgt M

Winner of:
Most Promising Demo
Nominated for:
Most Promising Demo

Non-winning nominees, sorted by number of nominated categories.
New Eden by GoldenFoxSoftware

Nominated for:
Best Game Title
Best Game Profile
"Eye Candy" Award
Summoner of Sounds
Excellence in Narrative
Punniest Game Alive
Not Dead Yet Award
Game of the Year

Stories of New Eden by GoldenFoxSoftware

Nominated for:
Best Game Title
Best Short Game Award
Year of the Hedgehog

Midnight Train by AriaStory

Nominated for:
"Eye Candy" Award
Game of the Year

Slimes by scitydreamer

Nominated for:
Excellence in Narrative
Trippiest Game

Shadow Seeker by KoopaKush

Nominated for:
Most Promising Demo

Two Strangers: The Third Stranger by lavendersiren

Nominated for:
Punniest Game Alive
Year of the Hedgehog

Bounty Angel 2 by Sidewinder

Nominated for:

Two Strangers Survive the Zombie Apocalypse by Frogge

Nominated for:
Punniest Game Alive

LABYRINTH - Derelict Abyss by JuneFlowa

Nominated for:
Trippiest Game
I'm all for you two working together to bring all the content released in the year together. This is a great idea.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
It's good, needs slightly better formatting, will go in depth when I have a brain.
I think it's nice. Marrend and you did a great job with this.
It'd be a good idea to talk to me first when doing this so we can weed out the wrong information - example; Kentona's award didn't get any winners officially because none of the games actually hit the requirement for that award. Little things like that need the info-check done.

It is a little messy and hard to parse, though. A bit more clarity in what is what might be better. There's a reason I added a lot of spaces in my round-up - so that no confusion could be had on the details. Also, this seems to focus more on the games themselves and not the awards. I'm down with you guys making an article like this for the front page but I, personally, don't think the award announcement should be like that.

It's great as an 'in addition to' though.
i like it, but it's hard to digest with how big it is - i had to scroll a lot just to see everything. is it possible to put them all in one big image (kinda like infographic thing) as an overview or something?

ps: also, i think instead of just the game title and the award, a little synopsis of the game (and/or the genre) would be great. the "nominated for" section needs most of the clean up though (or maybe removed completely)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
There probably could have more space between entries, I'll admit to that. The idea of putting together a collage of games, as some years have done, wasn't a consideration. As for the kentona award being cut, all I can say here is: welp, I wasn't aware of that! I'm sure I didn't even notice that the category wasn't on the official list until it was mentioned just now. I guess it's the same as THERAPIST: Mind Manager being cut from the "Best Non-English Game" category. I simply wasn't made aware that the game wasn't a consideration there, and didn't think to ask. In respect to those points, I'm sorry if I overstepped my bounds, and I apologize for both LordBlueRouge and myself for not including Liberty in our discussions. ;_;

However, the idea of these posts was absolutely to put the focus on the games. Something of a showing of what all was notable for a given year. The second post of "merely mentions" wouldn't necessarily be "notable", per say, but, I think the concept there was to relay additional, anecdotal information.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
OK I have like 2/3 a brain that's enough to do some blabbing about design

Pros:
  • Screenshots are A+ everyone loves pictures
  • Large italic titles with links so we can easily play the damn game
  • Simple layout

Cons:
  • "Winner of" is eensy and gets lost under the big screenshot
  • "Nominated for" is also eensy and reads as part of the list of "Winner of"
  • Multiple wins aren't all the same size
  • Titles are smaller than first award won, making them less important to the reader

My suggestions:
  • Make the titles the biggest element (and maybe also use logos where available)
  • Increase the "winner of" and "nominated for" text and/or make cute graphics for them so they read easier
  • Center everything
  • Instead of a vertical list, list award categories horizontally and separate them with a small bullet graphic or text thing.
  • MORE WHITE SPACE

Example:

Moonsong: First Verse by Kaempfer

Winner of
Best Short Game Award

Nominated for
"Eye Candy" Award
Excellence in Narrative
Best Short Game Award
Game of the Year

You could also add in a horizontal line graphic or something to further separate the games and make everything all spic and span.
Marrend
I really like that example, Sooz! I personally think the tess...

...might be a more appropriate separator for the categories, but that's just me.

As for a good separator between games (aside from additional white-space), I'm kinda thinking we take the big logo, and reduce the size? Attempting to create a thumbnail with the image...

https://rpgmaker.net/media/images/layout/misao_logo.png

...doesn't strike me as a good solution. Plus...

...thumbnails refuse to center. Thoughts?

*Edit: The alternative thought in my head is to take...

...this image, and make an edited version where it doesn't have the "Vote Now" text, and just says "Misao".
Sooz
author=Marrend
I really like that example, Sooz! I personally think the tess...

...might be a more appropriate separator for the categories, but that's just me.

Listen if you think I am going to make more effort than grabbing the first vaguely applicable thing in my locker you don't know me well at all

The li'l hexagon boy is fine.

As for a good separator between games (aside from additional white-space), I'm kinda thinking we take the big logo, and reduce the size? Attempting to create a thumbnail with the image...

...doesn't strike me as a good solution. Plus...

...thumbnails refuse to center. Thoughts?

Separating the games would just need a simple horizontal line. No need for anything fancy or branded; at most maybe a 2px colored line that matches whatever branding we have going on for the Misaos.
Marrend
I mean, if you tell me I don't need anything fancy, it's going to be a simple text-based horizontal line.

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Like so.
Sooz
I think that's fine, personally, and I do like Sooz's layout a lot. It's very clear and concise. I think that having something like that in addition to the Awards themselves is really cool. I make sure to add links to the games that won awards (the pics also act as links) or came runner up, so having them is pretty imperative in my book. XD
author=Liberty
I think that's fine, personally, and I do like Sooz's layout a lot. It's very clear and concise. I think that having something like that in addition to the Awards themselves is really cool. I make sure to add links to the games that won awards (the pics also act as links) or came runner up, so having them is pretty imperative in my book. XD

+1 I really like this layout. My only concern is making it simple enough so that, in the event that Marrend or I are not here to manage the misaos. Someone else can very easily take over, while using the same format and layout and just punch in the the data for the current year.

EDIT: Maybe at some point we can get rpgmakeraddict in here and try to get him to apply it to uh, shooty and the catfish: reloaded or Therapist:Mind Manager. I don't mind it looking fancy, it just should be simple enough that anyone can learn how to recreate it very quickly and in the event none of us are here; take over this role - and we'll only know that, once someone tries it. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow to get the ball rolling on this.

But yeah, good work Sooz!❤
Marrend
Lemme do a quick preview of the top three winners in this format, to let people see what this thing might look like, and see if we're all on the same page.

Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening by unity

Winner of:
Best Game Title
The Dark Souls of RMN
Trippiest Game

Game of the Year

Nominated for:

Best Game Profile
"Eye Candy" Award
Excellence in Narrative
Not Dead Yet Award

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Beetle Ninja by 16bitking

Winner of:
Summoner of Sounds
Punniest Game Alive

Nominated for:

"Eye Candy" Award
Game of the Year

Exile's Journey by dethmetal

Winner of:
Not Dead Yet Award

Nominated for:

"Eye Candy" Award
Summoner of Sounds
Excellence in Narrative
The Dark Souls of RMN
Punniest Game Alive

Game of the Year

Did ones for Two Strangers and Bounty Angel 2 it took about 5-10 minutes to put together for both. But just to repeat, I really like how clean and concise everything looks. Maybe we can edit the rmn emblem so it's lower, so it's more even with the text? I dunno. But yea we'd have to put the bbc formating in a seperate text file (probably in an rmn locker) and just copy and paste it for each entry.

EDIT: Threw one in for Soma Union.

Two Strangers Survive the Zombie Apocalypse by Frogge

Nominated for
Punniest Game Alive

Bounty Angel 2 by Sidewinder

Nominated for

Soma Union by Sgt M

Winner of
Most Promising Demo

Nominated for
Most Promising Demo

Marrend
I mean, I don't mind putting a template into my locker. It would probably be wrapped in a code-tag...

[center]
[size=30][i][url=<game url>]<game title>[/url][/i] by [url=<user url>]<user name>[/url][/size]
[url=game_url][img]<screenshot from gamepage>[/img][/url]
[size=20][b]Winner of:[/b]
[img][url]https://rpgmaker.net/media/images/icons/rmn.png[/url][/img] <award> [img][url]https://rpgmaker.net/media/images/icons/rmn.png[/url][/img] <award> [img][url]https://rpgmaker.net/media/images/icons/rmn.png[/url][/img]

[b]Nominated for[/b]:[/size]
[img][url]https://rpgmaker.net/media/images/icons/rmn.png[/url][/img] <award> [img][url]https://rpgmaker.net/media/images/icons/rmn.png[/url][/img] <award> [img][url]https://rpgmaker.net/media/images/icons/rmn.png[/url][/img]
[size=50]
[/size]
[size=50]
[/size]
<next entry>
[/center]

...like this.

*Edit: Edited to force the code-tag to compact.

*Edit2: Here ya go.
author=Marrend
I mean, I don't mind putting a template into my locker. It would probably be wrapped in a code-tag...

[center]
[size=30][i][url=<game url>]<game title>[/url][/i] by [url=<user url>]<user name>[/url][/size]
[url=game_url][img]<screenshot from gamepage>[/img][/url]
[size=20][b]Winner of:[/b]

[b]Nominated for[/b]:[/size]
[size=50]
[/size]
[size=50]
[/size]
<next entry>
[/center]

...like this.

*Edit: Edited to force the code-tag to compact.

*Edit2: Here ya go.

Very happy with this. Like, we could probably add reviews from the site like i did in the 2019 version, but those will probably take up space and too much time to format. What we have now is great, I think having something we can throw together a few minutes after the misao results go up (with help from liberty with knowing what the numbers are before hand) will do a lot to sort paint a picture of not only what the winners and what the year was like, but draw attention to other nominated games and some of the games we might have missed.

guys do you approve?
Sooz do you approve?
Does everyone here approve?
Are we down?
...Are we up?
Sooz
Pages: first 12 next last