[RMVX ACE]ALTERNATIVE TO SO MANY CONDITIONAL BRANCHES

Pages: 1
There are 5 members in my party. Five different people will offer a special weapon to the party. The weapon received will be determined by who is going to get it. The weapon choices are fairly easy to event. The first weapon offered will be easy because nobody will have any. I don't want a party member to be able to get two weapons so it seems I will need about 50 or more conditional branches all together to eliminate those who already have a special weapon so that their name(s) won't appear when each weapon is offered.
I just didn't know if there may be an easier way to do this.
unity
You're magical to me.
This may sound unconventional, but why not just have a black map with five sprites who look like the five characters on it? You choose a sprite and get that characters' weapon, and then warp back to where you were before? (This can be done by storing the player's location data via variables).

Then you could easily remove the sprites when a character gets their weapon, or put in a grey version of the sprite, or whatever?

Alternatives would probably involve scripting (since you are stuck to 4 choices in dialog choices) or Eventing a menu, like putting up pictures of the five heroes on screen, changing which one was highlighted with button inputs.
author=unity
This may sound unconventional, but why not just have a black map with five sprites who look like the five characters on it? You choose a sprite and get that characters' weapon, and then warp back to where you were before? (This can be done by storing the player's location data via variables).

Then you could easily remove the sprites when a character gets their weapon, or put in a grey version of the sprite, or whatever?

Alternatives would probably involve scripting (since you are stuck to 4 choices in dialog choices) or Eventing a menu, like putting up pictures of the five heroes on screen, changing which one was highlighted with button inputs.

That sounds great, Unity. It is something I'm unfamiliar with . Do you know of a tutorial how to accomplish this? I'm always willing to learn. Thank you!
unity
You're magical to me.
I'm not the best at explanations, so I thought I'd just mock it up in an RPG Maker VX Ace file. I have notes on how I did it in the file :D

Click here to download!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask ^_^
author=unity
I'm not the best at explanations, so I thought I'd just mock it up in an RPG Maker VX Ace file. I have notes on how I did it in the file :D

Click here to download!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask ^_^

Thank you so much, Unity:)
I don't know if this helps, but instead of:

Conditional Branch: Guy has Neato Sword
Stuff
End
Conditional Branch: Guy has Rad Axe
Stuff
End
Conditional Branch: Guy has Cool Knife
Stuff
End

You can do Conditional Branch: Script Call and do something like this

(CONDITION 1) || (CONDITION 2) || (CONDITION 3)

The "||" operand stands for "OR" and is basically a way of getting around RPG Maker's conditional branches not having boolean logic. So if you wanted to check if Actor 1 has any of Weapons 3, 4, or 5 equipped you can do something like this in one conditional instead of having 3 separate ones:

$game_actors[1].equips[0] == $data_weapons[3] || 
$game_actors[1].equips[0] == $data_weapons[4] ||
$game_actors[1].equips[0] == $data_weapons[5]
author=Sgt M
I don't know if this helps, but instead of:

Conditional Branch: Guy has Neato Sword

Stuff
End
Conditional Branch: Guy has Rad Axe
Stuff
End
Conditional Branch: Guy has Cool Knife
Stuff
End

You can do Conditional Branch: Script Call and do something like this

(CONDITION 1) || (CONDITION 2) || (CONDITION 3)

The "||" operand stands for "OR" and is basically a way of getting around RPG Maker's conditional branches not having boolean logic. So if you wanted to check if Actor 1 has any of Weapons 3, 4, or 5 equipped you can do something like this in one conditional instead of having 3 separate ones:

$game_actors[1].equips[0] == $data_weapons[3] || 

$game_actors[1].equips[0] == $data_weapons[4] ||
$game_actors[1].equips[0] == $data_weapons[5]

Thank you Sgt M
Pages: 1