TELL ME WHAT ANIME TO WATCH AND WHY

Pages: first 12 next last
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!
I recently decided to go on an anime watching binge, I had never really watched a lot of anime before. But after 1-2 months I have binged quite a bit.

Here's a list of the anime I have been able to binge watch recently:
Starting with my favorite and ending with the worst of the worst...
The last one is soooo bad...
I can't even put it into words...

Goblin Slayer (Season 1 / +)
Re: ZERO -Starting Life in Another World (Season 1 / ++ / Season 2)
KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! (Seasons 1 / Season 2 / +)
Claymore (26ep)
The Rising of the Shield Hero (Season1)
Rumbling Hearts (14ep)
White Album 2 (13ep)
Yosuga no Sora (12ep)
Scum's Wish (12ep)
Orange (13ep)
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (Season1)
Overlord (Season 1)
High School DxD (Season 1)
In Another World with My Smartphone(Season 1)

+ stands for movies or special episodes that are outside the normal season.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
Animes go mainstream because they're awesome. The insanity only makes this better. This is a story of villain from the point of view of the heroes. It's also a story about family coping with its own curse across the centuries as each generation of Joestar eventually finds themselves in conflict with the same monster that started all of their troubles.

Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki (1990s...ish. Maybe very late 80s.)
Tenchi is a perfectly normal boy (except it turns out he's not normal, and he just doesn't know.) in Japan exploring one day. He finds a crashed space ship that's been used as the prison for a 700 year old goddess. She is a space pirate named Ryoko. Tenchi accidentally wakes her up and she falls in love with him...and blows up his school. The goddess that imprisons her detects this, and then she falls in love with Tenchi. The Galaxy Police woman trying to catch these two also shows up and falls in love with Tenchi. This keeps happening. TL;DR all of the women who fall in love with Tenchi want to kill each other for reasons entirely unrelated to Tenchi. As a sci-fi fantasy, it's a lot of fun. My introduction to anime was the movie, Tenchi Muyo in Love back in the 90s. Time Travel, evil immortal space criminals...and Space Pirate Ryoko, who's frickin' awesome. Oh, Ryo-Ohki is the space ship. It turns into a cute little alien rabbit thing. Not sure how to describe it. I consider this my real introduction to anime, so I might be a slightly biased...

Cowboy Bebop (1990s)
Come for the the really cool sci-fi outlaws and jazz. Stay for the episodes that were entirely written around the jazz music made for the show. This is probably one of the best television series ever made.

Appleseed (original series from the 70s and the movies from 2006 and onward)
Admittedly, I started watching the TV series after the movies and it's much more different than I expected and I get why people don't like it as much as the movie or the original manga, but I still think it's worth it. Cyborgs, organic androids called Bioroids, and all centered on a soldier taken from the wasteland to be a police officer in what's left of civilization. This plays with a lot of really neat sci-fi ideas and is the principle inspiration for a lot of my sci-fi.
ONE PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
because.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
kentona
ONE PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!because.

Poor Saitama...such a dull life...
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=pianotm
Oh, Ryo-Ohki is the space ship. It turns into a cute little alien rabbit thing. Not sure how to describe it.

It was explained to me this way: A cabbit is 50% cat, 50% rabbit, 50% INTERGALATIC STARSHIP, and 100% cute.
author=Marrend
author=pianotm
Oh, Ryo-Ohki is the space ship. It turns into a cute little alien rabbit thing. Not sure how to describe it.
It was explained to me this way: A cabbit is 50% cat, 50% rabbit, 50% INTERGALATIC STARSHIP, and 100% cute.

Berserk (1997 series)
A dark Medieval fantasy with mature themes, badass characters and brutal fights, following Guts' youth as a mercenary who slowly bonds with a band lead by the awe-inspiring Griffith. They gain the trust of the king as they help end a war but spark the jealousy of other nobles. The show focuses on how individual dreams can bring people together or break them apart and affect them deeply. Oh, and there are demons and black magic too. If you enjoy Goblin Slayer and Claymore, you'll probably like it.

Hellsing Ultimate
Set in the late 90s, the Hellsing military organization fights vampires and other creatures in England, lead by the most badass woman ever, Integra, a human whom the most powerful vampire in the world, Alucard, serves as his master. And then Nazi vampires and ghouls attack Hellsing, and mutants with various super powers lure Alucard away so the Nazis can burn London to the ground. Oh, and the Vatican's super soldiers also take the opportunity to attack both the Nazi monsters and the Protestant country. It's a hell of a ride that keeps surprising you at every turn and the characters are all very charismatic.

Macross Plus
A tale of 3 friends with similar dreams who were pulled apart by a terrible incident. Many years later, two of them, Isamu and Guld, achieve their dream of becoming test pilots but become bitter rivals working at the same base. The third one, Myung, becomes a singer, quits and manages a virtual idol, Sharon, by supplying Sharon's AI with her own emotions. Each character hides secrets and struggles to "forgive and forget" as they try to come to terms with one another. There are a few similarities with the movie Top Gun, cool aerial fights, likeable characters and a beautiful soundtrack. It's one of those movies that once you know every plot twist, every line of dialogue and scenes that might have been confusing earlier suddenly make a lot of sense.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Don't watch anime. It's for nerds.
Mob 100, that is all

oh and Kaiba
Kaiji
It's about illegal gambling. Lots of best-laid-plans and psyche warfare, plus social commentary. Zawa zawa.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Darken
Mob 100, that is all

OK do watch this anime it's fukken sweet
SunflowerGames

Berserk looks like it would be up my alley. The trailer reminds me a lot of Claymore. I'm really sad that Claymore didn't get a second season.

Overlord looks interesting too, but maybe I have watched too much Isekai already?
(Counting 5 on my list so far.)
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
I have a few suggestions, with the explanation for each being how my girlfriend felt about them, since her crazy mother is a photographer and a film snob:

The anime adaptation of the Persona series is pretty good; the 3rd, 4th, and 5th games all got at least one series, with 4 getting two of them. My girlfriend played Persona 5 for about 15 minutes but was completely engrossed in the anime and has been hunting for apparel based on what the characters wear.

Aggretsuko is like Hello Kitty for adults, my girlfriend loves it.

Revisions on Netflix is interesting since it started as an anime and was adapted to a graphic novel, the opposite of how those things usually go. The characters come across as whiny at first but develop. My girlfriend almost gave up around episode 3 or 4 but it grew on her.
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
Go watch Dorohedoro, the anime in your list is... :Blobsweat:

Steins;gate is fantastic. Try Soul Eater, too.

Also seconding Hellsing Ultimate
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Mob Psycho is the best anime I've watched recently and close to all times.

I've been enjoying Demon Slayer for something new. Only on like episode 5 I think.
Youjo Senki is a good one if you enjoy lots of fast paced action and strategy with a strong "protagonist."

I would also recommend Air to anyone who wants a soothing slice of life anime amidst all of the chaos.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
One Outs
Baseball + Psychological Battles a la Death Note. Takes a bit to get going, but it's great.

Aldnoah.ZERO
A mecha anime on Netflix, I believe. Follows a war between Earth and a colonized Mars after the assassination of Mars' princess. I've heard people didn't like the ending, but I didn't think it was bad in any way.

Gatchaman Crowds and Gatchaman Crowds insight
A re-imagining of a really old series, Gatchaman Crowds and its second season follows a group of super heroes as they battle a mysterious threat, while dealing a lot with the politics of heroes and the government.

Assassination Classroom
What would you do if your teacher was a tentacle monster that was going to destroy the world in a short amount of time if you didn't kill him first? That's the issue these high school students are dealing with, as the government makes a deal with an OP monster to have him teach a high school class. It's a fun, wild ride, with both action, comedy and emotional moments.

author=Dyhalto
Kaiji
It's about illegal gambling. Lots of best-laid-plans and psyche warfare, plus social commentary. Zawa zawa.

Kaiji is one of the best anime I have ever witnessed, and more people need to watch it. Like One Outs, it starts a bit slow, but is ulmately an intense ride that keeps you rooting for its down-on-their-luck protagonist.
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Based on Duel Monsters, a fictional Japanese card game.
There are 5 Seasons in total.
So many interesting characters appear throughout the series.
https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_The_Dark_Side_of_Dimensions
https://www.yugioh.com/
SunflowerGames

author=Davenport
Yu-Gi-Oh!Based on Duel Monsters, a fictional Japanese card game.
There are 5 Seasons in total.
So many interesting characters appear throughout the series.
https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_The_Dark_Side_of_Dimensions
https://www.yugioh.com/

I've watched a bit of that years and years and years ago, not every episode though. I know the basic premise (At least the first series.) I'm not sure if it's something I could watch everything on though.

At least I got to finish Re: Zero Season 2 this week.
I tried Overlord Season 1, was sort of mehhh....
I watched the first episode of Berserk, but not sure about it.

Demon Slayer might be next, there's so much hype around it.

For Steins;gate would the VN be better or the anime? I might take some time to think about which one I should go for.

Pages: first 12 next last