HOW ARE YOU ALL HOLDING UP?

Pages: first 12 next last
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
A few days ago in the U.S. we "celebrated" a year of pandemic-fueled lockdown, though some states (*cough*Florida an its exporting of cases to other states*cough*) have seen tougher times than others. I've worked in mental health for years, and the number of suicides, suicide attempts, overdoses, and repeat hospitalizations I've seen people go through lately has just stayed at a dangerously high level. I mean, we've got a 3-6 month waiting list for therapy at our practice, and even medication management has up to a month wait time.

So the real question is, after a year or more depending on where you live, how are you all holding up?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
i wish my grandma was vaccinated already.
Turns out I still hate working retail.
I've been living in the canadian "Atlantic Bubble." aka we aren't populated to matter to Covid we have somewhat competent leadership and restrictions. Things "feel" back to normal aside from mandatory indoor mask wearing. Idk it's weird seeing on the news that shit's still fucked, closest way to describe it is looking into the window of the dog in burning house meme... while also being in a slightly burning house.
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
I'm all good here down in NYC, so I can't say I've seen the worse of the pandemic's effect on everyone, only that I can say I've personally been infected but I did manage to survive, yes. Plenty of other places have had it way worse
All great here in Venice. Work-home and home-work is all we can do except going to the supermarket for supplies but hum ok! I mean I am one of these "mandatory workers" so no rest or smartworking for me, but at least I get to drive. Seems here that infections were more frequent in schools (child >> parents >> relatives and so on), anyway they started the vaccinations...

BUT I will probably have to wait and endure being tested for a while. I miss friends & alcholic drinks -.-
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Surprisingly, the COVID stuff has been handled well in my neck of the woods. Even if Niagara County is more conservative, it's still New York. Everyone has obliged the mask policy in any public spaces I've ventured to, and I've yet to really run into an outspoken anti-masker. Though here and there, you'll see someone who wears their mask dumb with their nose sticking out. Defeats the purpose, don't it? Still, at least 80% of the people in Lockport aren't publicly idiots about the plague.

The clinic I get HRT from is offering the vaccine in limited doses, so I'm reminded to give them a call. With the limited amounts right now, I had second thoughts about it from the idea that someone else would need it more. I already wear masks, distance and even carry and use hand sanitizer. That said, I'll give 'em a call today and see if I can't schedule something.

I had missed after-hours walks to Wally-World (or "Walmart", I guess) and then Denny's, let alone bowling with my cousin here, but I've managed. Helps that I'm very much a hermit, and spent at least 70% of my life at my computer anyway. They've opened some stuff back up, but with enforced distancing and sanitary rules at limited capacity. Closest trouble was my grandmother not showing up for Christmas with my family, but a) I very much can't blame her and b) I'm personally estranged from my folks anyway. No dilemma, no foul.
I live in Taiwan. So, my life has been almost the same as if the pandemic never existed. There is no "lockdown" for me, and I still don't really know what it is, actually.

Maybe for other Taiwanese it is different, and maybe some places like schools were temporarily shut down last year in March that I'm not aware of, but for me who works from home and tend to easily trust life and do my own thing, I don't keep up with the news, including any to do with the pandemic. My main source of knowing about the pandemic is, for example, if I visit a store and they ask to wear mask suddenly, I hear things in the background radio of a store while shopping, or if someone e-mails me talking about their situation in their countries.

Last year in either November or December, someone e-mailed me asking me whether I live in Taiwan because they just heard on the news that it is the safest country in the world right now in regards to the COVID-19 thing, which I didn't know.

Taiwan did, however, start to require masks for most places since December 1st.

This year the Taipei International Book Exhibition (TiBE) was suddenly cancelled days before the event. I know because I was asked by the head of the Taiwan branch of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) to come attend and exchange business cards, and I signed up for the TiBe career-person passes, and in the end all of that is unused. As far as I know, the TiBE is a very big event, and it was literally cancelled days before... so my regional advisor cancelled her trip to Taipei suddenly and I was not able to meet her.

The mask situation is probably not as strict, at least in places like the FamilyMart convenience store I go to. Like they require it but it's not that serious. It seems more serious in places like Carrefour and government buildings. I'm speaking from my experience, and this might be different from other locals, especially as I "live my own way."
I worked in a supermarket in New York all through last year. Everyone abided by mask protocol, although some people would take off their masks to shout, because it isn't easy to be heard in the supermarket because of all of the ambient noise.

But my faith in people to... conceive of the reality of other people has been obliterated by observing their actions, even here in New York, which has been great for compliance with mask rules. I said this on another forum, but it's been an express ticket to 10 years of a bad marriage with everyone, and I want a divorce. Instant access to personal beliefs that you just aren't supposed to see. A lot of people unable to even conceptualize a chain of contagion, where, even if you get CoViD-19 in the form of a mild cold, the people to whom it spreads might develop more severe cases. Lack of education, lack of foresight.

Really made me want to move out of the United States.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
author=AtiyaTheSeeker
Even if Niagara County is more conservative, it's still New York. Everyone has obliged the mask policy in any public spaces I've ventured to, and I've yet to really run into an outspoken anti-masker. Though here and there, you'll see someone who wears their mask dumb with their nose sticking out. Defeats the purpose, don't it? Still, at least 80% of the people in Lockport aren't publicly idiots about the plague.

I wish central Massachusetts had that level of common sense. The city of Worcester turned into a nightmare zone rivaling the chaos that Boston had seen at the start of the pandemic, and virtually all towns surrounding Worcester are "red" politically speaking, so you can imagine the disconnect between those who live in the city and those who just pass through for work, medical appointments or commerce. Fun Fact: MA is a blue state and numerically speaking, most people are centrists or left-leaning, but if you look at it on a town-by-town level, most of the state is red, there just aren't a lot of people in those towns.

author=AtiyaTheSeeker
I had missed after-hours walks to Wally-World (or "Walmart", I guess) and then Denny's, let alone bowling with my cousin here, but I've managed. Helps that I'm very much a hermit, and spent at least 70% of my life at my computer anyway. They've opened some stuff back up, but with enforced distancing and sanitary rules at limited capacity. Closest trouble was my grandmother not showing up for Christmas with my family, but a) I very much can't blame her and b) I'm personally estranged from my folks anyway. No dilemma, no foul.

I thought I was an introvert, but then the pandemic hit. I've spent a lot of time visiting outdoor historical farm exhibits, since that's one of the few things that wasn't significantly impacted by the pandemic that I still feel safe doing.

author=Zachary_Braun
But my faith in people to... conceive of the reality of other people has been obliterated by observing their actions, even here in New York, which has been great for compliance with mask rules. I said this on another forum, but it's been an express ticket to 10 years of a bad marriage with everyone, and I want a divorce. Instant access to personal beliefs that you just aren't supposed to see. A lot of people unable to even conceptualize a chain of contagion, where, even if you get CoViD-19 in the form of a mild cold, the people to whom it spreads might develop more severe cases. Lack of education, lack of foresight. Really made me want to move out of the United States.

I've got at least three or four family members who I'm not sure I would intentionally go to a gathering with anymore. Elderly relatives who denied the pandemic even as others died from it around them, younger relatives who got swept up in political shenanigans because it was an excuse to get out of the house, etc. Thankfully my degrees and work history qualify me for accelerated immigration into Canada should anything ever get that bad.

author=kiyasu
I live in Taiwan. So, my life has been almost the same as if the pandemic never existed. There is no "lockdown" for me, and I still don't really know what it is, actually.

I have heard a lot of great things about Taiwan's ability to minimize the impact of the pandemic. I'm sure being an island with only four international airports helped the ability to control spread, but it's interesting how the more densely populated regions of the world seem to have a better grasp on the situation and have been controlling everything better.

Glad to hear a lot of people are doing alright. As somebody who works in healthcare, I want to add that you shouldn't let the mentality of "somebody else might need it more" stop you from seeking or receiving a vaccine. If you are able to get one under your local guidelines, do so. The virus affects everybody differently, and you never know if you have an un-diagnosed pre-exisitng condition that could compromise your ability to fight it off. That being said, some of the side-effects of the vaccine can really knock you down for a few days; after my first dose, I couldn't use my arm for three days, and my second dose had a day of intense symptoms, followed by a delayed allergic reaction two days later that caused a full-body rash. But I'd say it's worth it.

Stay safe out there, everybody.
Hey, indeed, now it is quite difficult times, but I don’t think that it was much easier before. You need to continue to live and hope that everything will be better than yesterday. For example, I had difficulty in finding a job, but a lot of posts were transferred online, then for people who have not worked online before, this is not so and it is easy to go to such a spehere. I was recommended to use the resources with *GAMMAK* and this very useful for find job.
Hey! The pandemic did not really affect me - I used to stay at home a lot, because I work remotely. And I really have no friends. In my free time, I play games, hang out on all kinds of sites, for example SPAMMAGA
In general, my life continues as it was. I am thinking of getting a dog
I already had depression before the pandemic but I think it made things worse for me. I might try out anti-depressant medicine soon.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I live in New Zealand, we had the one month total lockdown in March/April & then wore masks for a bit. Literally had no real change other than a small lockdown. Never even once had to do a covid test or anything. We've had sports, music festivals, events, etc for most of last year. So covid wise going great, everything else I can't say the same haha
I should probably amend the statement I made earlier. It turns out the atlantic canadian provinces even when accounting for relative population density we are actually doing rather well (Ontario, not so much). Likely due to proper restrictions but also better common sense.

I guess I'm hesitant to say things like "HEH well in my local area we're unharmed due to being sensible" like just coming off like everyone living around me are smarter for whatever elitist reasons. I try to be level headed when I see some typical news story about floridans being anti-masking on the beach and being idiots because like, non-sensical people are everywhere right? But the truth is that it can be the other way around, just because I personally ran into nonsensical people around here doesn't mean the likelihood is the same as everywhere else.

what I'm trying to say is we all have trouble moving around because of of our oversized brains that are capable of choosing to not to dine in at restaurants.

edit: Forgot to mention the main drawback here is lack of vaccine availability
I live in Georgia. First time I'm hearing about "a pandemic."
author=Darken
I should probably amend the statement I made earlier. It turns out the atlantic canadian provinces even when accounting for relative population density we are actually doing rather well (Ontario, not so much). Likely due to proper restrictions but also better common sense.

...Well, worse comes to worse, at least the archive is "done", lol.

Yeah, it's a real drag here. I think because the population is higher here, there seems be a lot more chances for this thing to go completely wrong. It's a real bummer to see the case count go higher and higher everynight after a year of doing nothing.

One relative got the vaccine which is cool, another one is awaiting surgery.
Unfortunately, someone else died.

Still sad about it. We can't even go to the funeral.
I live in peace. I and my whole family have been vaccinated.
I really haven't noticed that much of a difference beyond needing to wear a mask at work and while shopping. Though, I'm pretty much a recluse that stays home if I don't have a reason to go outside.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Got me shot on Thursday this week! Twas the Johnson and Johnson one, and about twelve hours in the big side effects hit. But the stuff subsided after a few hours, and by today my shot-up arm stopped being sore. ;)
Pages: first 12 next last