PLEASE TURN THESE INTO MV GENERATOR PARTS!

Pages: first 12 next last
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Sure buddy, I have paypal, would that be good?
author=Mirak
Sure buddy, I have paypal, would that be good?

Money is terrible with me... sorry. Why is it that everyone asks..
Perhaps you could sell these, instead of me?
It's work, is why people ask for some sort of compensation. It's not just a matter of copy/paste and done. It takes time and effort to make something that works with the generator, that works with the various facing for the sprites and works for battle sets.

You wouldn't ask a movie director to make a movie for you for free, you wouldn't ask an architect to draw up plans for a new house for free, so why ask an artist to make something for you for free.

They are spending the most precious resource they have - TIME, of which everyone has a finite amount - on doing this so of course they want something back for it. On top of that, you pay for their skills - the ability they've honed over years of work.

So, yeah, people will ask to be paid for their work. It's not something they're doing for fun, or something they need for their own game. They're doing it for someone else, so that someone else should at the least compensate them in some way for what is being done. The easiest way to componsate someone is through money, and it's the most useful form of compensation since it can be used for various means.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Liberty
You wouldn't ask a movie director to make a movie for you for free, you wouldn't ask an architect to draw up plans for a new house for free

These are extremely optimistic assumptions
Mirak
At least I can credit the op for surprising me by suggesting that the material being done for free for them be sold to others, that's a new one.
author=Mirak
At least I can credit the op for surprising me by suggesting that the material being done for free for them be sold to others, that's a new one.

author=Mirak

Well, I saw a few others that wanted such parts as well. I'm not saying that I won't pay, just that you could sell it on steam, because that's usually how I obtain new things. For one, better money from it. And for another, you know you would get at least one customer there.

My word, I would buy those parts on steam - eventually. But money is slow and very limited with me. 20/30/50 a month usually... and thus, the reason I suggested it.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
...how much do you think custom art work normally costs?
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
I hate to be that person buuuuut... if money is really an issue? You have options other than commission work. Using assets you could edit yourself is an idea I can suggest from experience. Otherwise, prototyping is also crucial.

Take it from me. I'm someone who has a bad habit of buying assets she doesn't need or doesn't use. I am also one who commissions personal artwork because a) I like to support fellow artists, b) I like their art styles and c) they are better at drawing or pixeling than I. Some of my biggest regrets with RPG Maker thus far are wasting money on assets for ideas that fell through, and not finishing (or starting) games I'd commissioned assets for.

For the games I've completed, I've either used the RTP assets or I've used 8-bit-adjacent ones. The 8-bit graphic pack I'd used had simpler character sprites that were easier to tweak, and converting other pixel art to NES palettes was a big boon. One thing I still need to do is use whatever assets are on-hand to prototype, especially for longer-term projects. And personally, I get that finding "good enough" placeholders is a pain. It's hard for me to do myself. On top of that, keep your eyes peeled, especially for free stuff. There's some amazing talent on Itchio and OpenGameArt for free or budget graphics, sounds, etc.

And trust me, ideas being expanded upon or dummied out happens all the time in game dev, even RPG Making. Please, don't fall into a trap that I'm still crawling out of.
Sooz
author=AtiyaTheSeeker
Please, don't fall into a trap that I'm still crawling out of.

Judging from their posts, they don't seem particularly likely to fall into any trap involving spending actual money on artists.
author=Sooz
...how much do you think custom art work normally costs?

If you have to ask, it's too much.
Mirak
author=Reizon23
If you have to ask, it's too much.
That's a shame buddy, it sucks that things cost money, I know.

But at the same time it's a good thing you only WANT these resources and not NEED them though! Imagine if you NEEDED them instead of WANTING them, it would suck double to realize nobody is making them for you for free!

But I'm not gonna leave you stranded without a paddle friend, here is a video tutorial that might help you get started on learning how to make them yourself, you might even be able to sell them on steam once you finish making them, where a lot of people will surely buy them! And then you'll have money to pay artists for their custom work!

Everybody wins.

Happy end.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
He said 'please', guys. Isn't that worth hours of your time?
Mirak
Aww no need to be mean.
Sooz
author=Mirak
That's a shame buddy, it sucks that things cost money, I know.

Artists should just donate all their time and skills to random people who want a thing.

Rent? Food? What are those?
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
If you bought RPG Maker MV via Steam there was free DLC that added modern generator parts to the character generator but had to be manually moved to the correct folder to be used. One included item was a gas mask that bears a passing resemblance to the third image you posted, and with some editing in Photoshop (or Gimp since that's free), could be made to look like at least one of the masks you posted.

There's a thread on RPGMakerWeb: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/lightning-round-questions.103128/

And one on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/RPGMaker/comments/9vr3u7/if_you_have_the_steam_version_of_mv_check_your/
author=Backwards_Cowboy
If you bought RPG Maker MV via Steam there was free DLC that added modern generator parts to the character generator but had to be manually moved to the correct folder to be used. One included item was a gas mask that bears a passing resemblance to the third image you posted, and with some editing in Photoshop (or Gimp since that's free), could be made to look like at least one of the masks you posted.

There's a thread on RPGMakerWeb: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/lightning-round-questions.103128/

And one on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/RPGMaker/comments/9vr3u7/if_you_have_the_steam_version_of_mv_check_your/

I have that gasmask... but it's those helmets that are important. I also have a dustmask and respirator... but there's also the issue of hazmat suit as well.
Another Idea I have is the industrial era. Imagine Plains, Submarines, and those bigger trucks and industries, in a time where people don't realize the consequence of not using green technologies.

Perfect apocolypse scene, especially if mutant, freak, and horror battlers are made.
You have three choices.

Either commission someone to make the parts for you.
Edit pre-existing parts/learn do make stuff for yourself.
Go through every RPG Maker resource site and search for them yourself. I suggest also hitting up deviant art and pixel-art based places to see if maybe what you want already exists.

From the sounds of it, though, you'll likely want to start learning how to pixel. It's an invaluable skill for a dev to have anyway, even if it's just editing stuff to fit what you need.
Dude, quit complaining. There's profit to be made on these ideas. Your being fools asking me to do the hard work, because I CANNOT.

That includes the industrial idea...
Pages: first 12 next last