[RMMZ] JP LEVELS?

Pages: 1
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
So I'm making my game in MZ but it has come to the point that I can't continue because there is currently no JP levels plugin for MZ. In my game, I need for there to be two types of levels, character levels and class levels. I plan for it to be somewhat similar to the Bravely Default series or Final Fantasy V where JP is basically just EXP but for classes and helps classes level up which gives you new skills and passive buffs.

Problem is is that only one JP levels plugin exists for MV (which works perfectly) but there's absolutely no plugin for MZ yet. I even shilled for the Visuastella MZ plugins with my graduation money so I could get that sweet sweet Bravely Default battle system plugin I've been asking people to make for literally years, and even still after nearly 60 plugins they still haven't ported all the MV ones including ones made by third parties like the JP levels one.

I absolutely NEED a JP levels plugin for my game, my game can't work without one, but even if I knew javascript (I'm beginning to learn) I couldn't make a JP levels plugin for myself even if I wanted to because you now have to get permission from Yanfly to make plugins that are even compatible with his unlike in the golden era when MV was new and plugins were free.

Worse still, the only way to contact the team is through Patreon which is insanely expensive and I already have multiple subscriptions going with limited income and can't invest in another one. Also, I've heard rumors that he is also known to sue anyone who "copies" his code which to him means any plugin that serves the same purpose. Are these true?

If that are, then that means that I either 1: learn Javascript (which could take years) and make my own plugin library for MZ and risk being sued by Yanfly, (he already sued SRD, HimeWorks, and Galv, according to the rumors) or just hope and pray that the Visustella team make a JP Levels plugin before all 10 tiers end.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help me? Or even better, can anyone get in contact with the Visuastella team so they can make a JP levels plugin like the one they had for MV? Don't get me wrong, I do respect the team as a whole, but strongly disagree with Yanfly's predatory tactics in the plugin-making community.

He's been doing stuff like this ever since some fool stole and resold his and his associates code on his own scammer website, going as far as to "recruit" random RM devs for him to promote their games in exchange for the dev to promote his website which sold stolen plugins and assets. (which were free at the time)

Because of that man, RPG Maker will never be the same and the only hope is some rich guy who knows Javascript and does RPG Maker AND makes plugins who has the money to hire a good lawyer if Yanfly sues them and actually be able to win.

I have one of those things and am working two of the others, but my family can't afford a good copyright lawyer to work on a case for possibly multiple years. Unless someone in my family wins the lottery or my grandma dies (she's super rich but doesn't show it) and my mom gets her inheritance, there's no way I'm risking going against Yanfly who makes thousands a month solely off of patreon and plugin sales.

He'd beat me in court easily, since he has far more money and I'm unemployed and broke. (sorta, I have about $1200 in savings, but that isn't enough for me to last) Sorry this kinda turned into a rant lol. I just really need that plugin, it's late where I live, and I'm tired. I don't want to quit this project because some guy in Portugal or something refuses to listen to feedback, positive or negative, unless you pay him, meaning unless you pay up you have no say in what plugins are chosen and put into a steadily decreasing pool. Please, can someone get in touch with Visuastella and get them to make that JP levels plugin? I really need that and if it's not created soon I might have to take a break from RPG Maker and instead work on my massive backlog.

(P.S. Just to let you know, please don't ban me for this. I recently got banned from the official RPG Maker Forums for making a similar post that went a bit further into conspiracy territory and bordered on libel, but I made sure this time to be vague with my accusations and not say anything idiotic like "KAKOKAWA runs a ST ring." That was so dumb lol.

Once again my autistic brain getting reality confused with my own fiction in my subconscious. Figures. I regret those actions heavily though, regardless of my stupid autism, and I wish to apologize and eventually return to those forums, as I am not 100% sure how long I'm banned for. I know this is important for people to say so I'll say it. I'm sorry, and regret my actions. I was an idiot, and I will try to not do something dumb like this again and think before I post. But hey, at least I didn't groom a minor like all those people did. (You can probably guess who) I'm a degenerate, but I'm not THAT degenerate.)
User was warned for this post
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The main thing that's occurring to me as I read this is: do you really, positively, absolutely, 108% need this plug-in? Does it benefit your game to have JP associated with specific classes, or would it be more convenient to allow characters a universal pool of JP, and let players spend them as they will?

I dunno. My mind is going to Final Fantasy Tactics, and how often I would actually change class in that game if JP was not associated on a per-class basis. The challenge of a Job System ultimately boils down to making classes more than just a stat-block and their associated skill-set, but having their own features that make them better than other classes under various circumstances.
KrimsonKatt
@Marrend Yes, I absolutely need this plugin. 100%. My game can't function without it. Or at the very least, I'll need to have a plugin that makes class levels and character levels separate.

I don't want to do something like FF Tactics which has a large branching class list with classes building into other classes and skills transferring over between them. I want a system where you can freely change classes at any time out of a selection of 20 or so of them that you slowly gain throughout the story to fit different situations and builds where the levels you gain from classes are separate from regular levels and only give you new skills and abilities. You still get stat buffs from leveling up, but the character levels are the things that give you stats, not class levels, which are different for each class while character levels stay constant.

My game doesn't involve learning skills from a menu like FF Tactics does. Combat Arts (not magical attacks) and Passive Abilities are learned by leveling up classes. (no new skills are learned by leveling up your characters) Meanwhile, magic (anima (fire, ice, thunder, and earth) magic, light (healing, revival, curing, buffing, water, wind and light) magic, and dark (debuffing, dark, poison, drain, and gravity) magic are learned by using "animus" which when used on a character teaches them a particular spell permanently, which you can craft using materials gained from monsters and chests. My game wouldn't work the way I imagined if I included a skill-learn menu like what I did with Meteo Chronicles. I really need that JP levels plugin, or I might have to take a break from RM for a LOOOONG time to learn Javascript and make those plugins.

I tried thinking of a system that could work with the current plugins available, but after further though I determined that it was impossible. I could have one main class that is exclusive and the same for every character which is hidden form the player and is unchangeable. Then I have the subclass be the class you actually change which gives you different stats and such.

However, since I want the maximum class level to be 16 rather than the cap of 99 for the character level, it would result in unbalanced stats since I either have to make leveling up a class give you tons more stats than leveling up your main class which would discourage experimentation and make it way too easy to become OP, or make it so that every class has the same stats and that stats are only affected by the character which would just make all the classes the same stat wise and that's boring. I also couldn't use JP to level up classes, only EXP, and that's once again boring. There was a plugin for MV that was absolutely perfect, but I can't use that since I'm using MZ. I'm also scared to learn Javascript and make my own plugins because I'm afraid Yanfly will sue me. What should I do?
Do you absolutely need to use RPG Maker MZ? Would you consider using RPG Maker MV so that you can use Yanfly's JP plug-in?
KrimsonKatt
Nope. I have to use MZ, because MV doesn't have a bravely default battle system plugin, which I plan to use. I need both plugins for my game to work. However, I think I found a solution. Basically, I have every enemy give JP and at the end of every battle the game checks if that class' JP has reached a certain threshold. If so, an event plays that levels up that class by one. The classes that you change are relegated to subclasses and the in-game subclasses are specified as the third class in the engine. Then I have it so that your in-engine subclass gives stat modifiers instead of stat boosts so that I can make you level up normally but then have classes still matter outside of the skills you get and equipment.
Yanfly and co aren't beholden to make any particular script at all, ever, so if it's not in the planned plugins you're on your own. There are avenues for you to still go through before giving it up. If it's absolutely imperative you get this particular script, start putting money away for a commission to someone or start learning to script yourself.

Also, stop spreading unfounded rumours. Yanfly hasn't fucking sued anyway and acting like he's in the wrong for not wanting to put up with the bullshit that certain areas of the community keep spouting just shows that you're one of the problems this community has.

Let's face the truth - your game doesn't NEED this plugin. You WANT it to make your development EASIER on you. Instead of getting out and learning how to script or even event properly, you just want someone to give you the answers. I'm not saying that people are wrong to have ideas for their games, or to reach out to others in the community to help them achieve their goals - that's fine. But expecting people to do what you want them to do, and then cry foul and start/spread bullshit about them when they don't is wrong and just plain horrible.

Go out and learn.
Save up some money and commission someone to do it.
Cut the fucking idea completely.

Don't spread rumours about people under the guise of "I don't trust because I heard...." bullshit. Get out.
KrimsonKatt
I was already informed by other users, including yourself, that yanfly doesn't sue people who make plugins like his as long as they used original code. i learned that over 3 weeks ago, and have not spread that rumor since. I was also informed that Yanfly has a new discord which is open to everyone (not just patrons) where you can contact the team directly. Even there suggestion box is open for anyone, and I've already suggested quite a few plugins for them to try making. I might also join the discord and build up some traction for those plugins and see if anyone else is interesred.

If you look at my post history, you would see that I changed my opinion on this weeks ago. I was informed on the 4th of this month (April 2021) by you actually of the full details regarding the yanfly situation, after which I never spread any rumors I heard about Yanfly ever again after that.

The last post where I "slandered" yanfly was on the 3rd of April, a whole day before I learned of the full situation and context. After I learned that yanfly almost got assassinated and got unjustifiably banned from a discord server, I actually gained a lot of sympathy for him. Though I still think $100 for visustella is really overpriced I still respect him both for his choices involving making his plugins paid ($30 is still a steal for his MV ones, I've realized that now.) and as a creator.

As for my past mistakes, I am very sorry for slandering Yanfly. I was ignorant and didn't know the full situation. Instead of spreading rumors, (which I don't think anyone actually believed) I should have asked the mods for more details as it was causing me stress and anxiety IRL and I wanted answers. I also made sure to not definitively state anything, as nothing I said I knew for certain. I didn't spread rumors to "get back at yanfly" for not making the plugins I want. I "spread them" because I wanted clarification on various worries and insecurities I had about the whole situation. But now I know the truth, I have known the truth for the past 3 weeks, and promise to never slander yanfly again. I did not do any of this out of malice. I said what I did because I was ignorant of the truth and wanted answers.

As for your suggestion for making a commission, I tried contacting multiple plugin devs during the MV days to make a bravely default battle system plugin, (this is obviously before Visustella made one without me even having to ask) but even after months none of them responded, even after I offered $100 for the commission. Also, I don't have a job so I can't exactly "save up." I don't have social security either even though I'm 19 due to my mom wanting to "do it with me" but since she's busy with work whenever the SS office is open we can't really get it until the pandemic is over.

Luckily I'm starting to be on a road to get a job at a local art shop where I would be paid money every time they do an event (usually once every 2 weeks) to work there, so that's cool. But until then, I don't really have a stable source of income so paying $1000+ for a commission is a bit unreasonable for me and likely many other people, if they even respond to my requests. Keep in mind that visustella has a suggestion box, implying that not all plugins were planned from the start and are still subject to change, so plugins not currently planned are still possible.

And the thing is is that if I do make a plugin, it most likely won't be able to be compatible with visustella due to the code being hidden, which while understandable so that people don't steal it, it causes making plugins compatible with it merely guesswork since the code can't be read, which makes making compatible plugins difficult. That means I'll have to make the JP levels plugin along with all the other non-visustella plugins I want ALONG WITH my own versions of nearly every Visustella plugin so I could have all the plugins I need and they would be compadible.

Also, Liberty, PLEASE don't ban me. I know your mad that I slandered your friend, and I'm very sorry for that, but this is my only place where I can express myself with RPG Maker and the place where all my games are posted, meaning if I got banned my experience RPG Maker would truly be over and all my games forever gone. I wouldn't even know what to do with my life afterwards. My life would pretty much be over. I really really REALLY don't want to be banned, and I'm very very very sorry I ever slandered yanfly. I was ignorant and did not know the truth, and after I learned of the full information I stopped spreading rumors about Yanfly immediately, though I should have apologized then instead of now. Please, forgive me.
It's not about slandering 'a friend'. It's about slandering anyone. I've given warnings for other people slandering and harassing others many times in the past. That is what you got - a warning. Don't do it again and it won't be an issue. That's on your behaviour.

You say that you can't save up, but if you want something enough, you can. There's places like Fiverr and the like where you can make a few bucks for doing stuff for others - even lower-grade stuff has a market.

Also, as to the cost... $25 for 7 waves = $175 vs $100 for all waves? That's cheaper! Plus the 30+ free ones that come with the Sample Project as it stands. Jesus, people be entitled.

Hell, buying each plugin individually costs $494 - assuming you purchase every plugin from Waves 2 through 8. That's nearly 5x the price of the All Waves Bundle collection cost. You're saving SO much money and getting a TON of stuff for $100. It's not too much, it's far too cheap!

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Offering $100 as a commission for a custom battle system? I don't pretend to know the rates on plug-ins, but, custom battle systems tend to be among the most complex things to make. Maybe those plug-in developers you talked to ignored you because they thought the amount you were offering was considered too low?

Also consider that MZ, as an engine, isn't even a year old. Maybe the Visustella team has plans to port the JP plug-in, maybe not. If you have asked, and there has been no answer (or you were blocked?), there's only really so much you can do if you want compatibility with their other plug-ins.

*Edit: With Liberty's nijna, my comment about offering $100 for a custom battle system might not be as relevant as I thought. The other comment might still stand.
KrimsonKatt
I'm not blocked by visustella. I can still access their website and haven't been blocked by them on twitter, and I was successfully able to suggest multiple plugins to them with no issues. I tried doing fivvr and the only thing I'm slighty good at is pixel art yet people were offering far better work than what I could do for the minimum price. ($5) Maybe I could write custom erotica fanfic for people? (I'm 19) That's really my only other practical talent other than my crazy creative brain nearly on the same level as Yoko Taro. I'm getting close, but my insanity won't reach the apex of Taro-senpai anytime soon. (/s for the last sentence)
Pages: 1