IS @YANFLYSUCKS A TROLL?

Pages: 1
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
So a while ago during the whole #plugingate fisaco I stumbled across a user called @YanflySucks on twitter. He was offering pirated Yanfly plugins for free "with the old TOS" and constantly ragged on Yanfly and made many allegations against him such as him going after other plugin creators and forcing them to quit the community or get sued in order to secure a monopoly on the plugin industry. He claims that this is why so many plugin devs outside of Yanfly's circle left the community, not because of "toxicity" like they claimed (the RM community is one of the most wholesome communities I know. What toxicity?) but because Yanfly threatened to sue them if they did not quit so Yanfly could achieve a monopoly. A monopoly he currently holds with MZ plugins and Visustella. According to @YanflySucks, everyone is too scared to make competing plugins to visustella in fear of being sued by Yanfly, so plugin devs either stick to MV or outright quit. @YanflySucks also claims that Yanfly has direct ties to KADOKAWA and that's why he was able to not only get MZ extremely early so he could be the first to make plugins so no one could claim that they were first in court, but also why KADOKAWA archived the MV forums and started promoting the heck out of MZ and even going as far as to discontinue service for RM2000, RM2003, RMXP, and RMVXA in order to encourage people to buy MZ. (according to @yanflysucks, they probably would have discontinued discontinued MV as well, but that would make their plan too obvious) In exchange, Yanfly would offer KADOKAWA 40% of all shares in plugin and patreon revenue, which is a lot since Yanfly makes tens of thousands every month from Patreon and Plugin sales alone. Are these allegations true in any way, or is that user just trolling to stur up drama? I think he also got suspended some time back, giving more evidence that this guy was a troll. What do you guys think about this whole situation? Do @yanflysucks' claims hold any water, or is he just a dirty troll trying to make a bad situation even worse? Comment down below.
Man I am so out of the loop of the greater RPG Maker community at large. What the dang heck is going on out there.
yeah did Yanfly secretly write Twilight or something, last i remember of yf we were talking about baseball anime in irc like 10 years ago
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I feel like people not making plugins can be explained more easily with any of the following:

1) Anytime you make any kind of skilled thing, a lot of people get really demanding and start wanting you to drop everything to do tech support, make whatever thing they want, and/or make their game for them, for free exposure!!! and when you refuse to do this they blow up at you and/or talk shit about how terrible you are

b) Javascript is, IIRC, not super popular or useful anymore, compared to other languages, so if someone else is already in on the plugin thing, why bother "competing"?

iii) This is a teensy niche community who is even going to bother catering to us?

WRT the RPG Maker community being wholesome... I mean in general, yeah, but any group is going to have its assholes. If you're, say, lurking at the fringes and just doing your own thing, you're not super likely to run into them, but if you're contributing really useful stuff, or are otherwise high-profile, you're going to start attracting their attention. It's just a fact of the internet.

author=Sgt M
Man I am so out of the loop of the greater RPG Maker community at large. What the dang heck is going on out there.
author=Darken
yeah did Yanfly secretly write Twilight or something, last i remember of yf we were talking about baseball anime in irc like 10 years ago

Yanfly got tired of people plagiarizing his plugins and started charging for them instead of leaving them free, then retired and said he wasn't developing new plugins. In response to this, a chunk of the community lost their goddamn minds.

E: NB this is from like two years ago and picked up from people who actually pay attention to this shit. I live under a rock and rely primarily on googling "vx ace plugin (whatever dumb gimmick I want)" so I'm hardly a reliable source for drama.
There's an RPG Maker MZ now?
they're running out of letters
The next one is RPG Maker ZZ, the much-maligned followup to RPG Maker Zeta.
KrimsonKatt
@Kentona You didn't know? Then why is it included in this site's code when you're the one who's running this whole thing? But yeah, MZ is the latest engine and the successor to MV. It has it's ups and downs, it's ups being Visustella, good QoL and new features, and better performance, with the bad being the mobile-game focused UI, the terrible artstyle, and it using a separate 3D animation tool to make animations instead of a simple and intuitive built-in one like MV and VX Ace had. Luckily everything in MV is compatible with MZ, so you can just transfer everything over, including the animations, so two of those negatives aren't an issue if you already own MV.

Edit: I really need to learn JavaScript so I can make my own plugin library that's completely free. Hopefully yanfly doesn't sue me lol. Also, I don't think JavaScript is that unpopular. Isn't it currently the most used language other than C++. and the only reason that's popular is for mobile game development? Idk.
So the whole shebang was over people getting shirty that yanfly decided to charge for his plugins because 200+ free scripts for ace and MV was apparently too generous, how dare he try to make any money off his own hard work when others were doing so. And by that I mean that people took parts of his code and made stuff to increase their 'fame' in the community or sold scripts with his work in (or required his scripts to work at all).

He called one such thief out in a server and they got shitty and acted like the thief was in the right (Okay, so he asked for the thief to be banned after posting proof of the guy stealing his code (the same guy also stole code from some newer coders like Olivia, which Yanfly also showed proof of) and the mods there hmm'd and haw'd and then made a big stink about HOW DARE YANFLY DEMAND WE REMOVE A THIEF HE'S OVERSTEPPING HIS BOUNDS AND BEING PUSHY!!! and let the thief stay but got rid of Yanfly instead. Yeah, seriously.

Fuck you, lunatic server, you fucking douche canoes.

A-NY-WAY

Chaos ensued. Even though Yanfly put any money he got from the sales of his scripts towards hiring people to port them to MZ - which Visustella has been doing. Then people got shitty about the code being obfuscated even though it makes fucking sense that they would do that after having code stolen like it had been. (On top of that, they've said many times that some of the code comes from their own projects - Visustella is a group of various devs - and thus while they're happy to share the systems and such for others to use, they don't want the code stolen. Olivia is one of the group, iirc, and she's had thieves be bitches in the past, remember, so of course they all want to protect their creations from that.)

Anyway, that blew up again and people were railing on Visustella but it brought up Yanfly's name again because his code is being dispensed through the group and he's said a few times that he fully endorses the release of his stuff in this manner, being that he's been burned before, too.

That's the drama.

I can 100% clear Yanfly of any monopolising and shit. People are more than capable of making and sharing their scripts. The reason there isn't as many is because people used to rip from Yanfly scripts in the past and use his stuff as base. Nothing is stopping them from making their own shit and the fact that they ain't just goes to show how lazy and grubby their hands are from stealing others stuff to make their name off of them.

A lot of people had direct ties to KADOKAWA and got the engine early. It's been said by the staff - that's why there were graphics packs and OH OVER 100 non-yanfly scripts in the engine when you fucking started it up. Yanfly isn't the only one who asked and recieved - many others did too.

@yanflysucks is a liar, alarmist and all-around fuckhead. There's no 40% bullshit going on, he does not make tens of thousands of dollars from his patreon (though I bet he wished he did to make up for the bullshit he's had to deal with), nor does he have anything to do with KADOKAWA's decisions on how to deal with their older engines. This asshole just has a hate-boner for yanfly (if the name wasn't already apparent).

For what it's worth, I was there during the whole Lunatic Server bullshit (Yanfly had contacted me with proof, I asked one of our script bunnies to check it and when it was shown to be real, I banned the thief - as any normal, functioning, reasonable person with a moral bone in their body would do). I then saw the fall-out of that shitfest and frankly, it was pathetic the way people were going on and raging. I'm proud of how RMN handled it because near to a number, every person who talked about it at that time was behind Yanfly - the creator's rights to their work and all that jazz.

I know Yanfly personally - we talk sometimes - and I've seen the shit he's had to deal with in the past. He once got shot and was in a coma for months on end and people lost their goddamn minds demanding his attention and spouting lies about him whilst he was gone. There's always assholes who seek to drag people they see as 'above' down.

Yanfly is one of those very down-to-earth people who do what they do because they have a genuine love for the community and wanted to help where he could. He had the skills to make stuff, so he decided to do it. He enjoyed doing so but people kept being raging assholes and eventually he couldn't take that anymore.

The fact is this - the whole thing blew up because people were stealing his and others' work. The main point there being OTHERS' work. See, people had been stealing his work for years, but this utter asshole stole Olivia's work - someone who was new on the block, so to speak, and who talked to Yanfly about stuff, so when that happened he showed the proof of the theft, then corroborated with proof of them stealing his work too, to show a history of it. It sparked because he wanted to protect a newbie scripter in the community from what he'd had to deal with. That shows the kind of person Yanfly is.

He's a really good person and he absolutely did not and does not deserve the shit that he was served.
can someone tell me who the thiefs name is so i can recognize it if it comes up in a rpg maker game i play
KrimsonKatt
Wait, Yanfly almost got assassinated? And got banned from a sever for literally calling out a scumbag who stole his plugins with proof? Why have I never heard of this before? No wonder he's so salty. Now that I know there's no risk of me getting sued, I'm going to go all-in on plugin making and am going to make my whole free plugin database dream come true. Bring it on!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Liberty
stuff

But clearly the reason nobody sticks around to create plugins is because of someone lawsuiting it up in the super lucrative market that is RPG Maker users.

Thinking further about it, I feel like it kind of waters down your message of "look how bad this guy is" if you're also offering pirated versions of that guy's stuff. It'd be like me going, "Man, Stephen King is a terrible person who killed John Lennon! Also here is a pile of stolen copies of Carrie, please enjoy!"
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
I had no idea all this had happened to Yanfly! That fucking sucks!

Quite liked a lot of his articles.

For reference, a user once stole maps and graphics from a game of mine and Liberty was a class act handling that. After confirming it, the user was banned. As it should be when people behave like that.
KrimsonKatt
Oh, and by the way, how exactly can I content visuastella to ask them if they're working on a JP levels plugin without subscribing to their patreon? Can anyone with their contact relay my message to them that I've bought their $100 bundle and am wondering if or when they are going to be making a JP levels plugin, as I really need it for my game and their normal class change core plugin won't cut it for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I really don't want to be spending the next 6 months of my life learning code so I can make my own stuff, but I'll do it if necessary. There's a lot of plugins I want to make, such as free alternatives to existing Visuastella plugins but simpler, a JP class levels plugin, passive abilities, a button-command system, strike encounters, (slash an enemy on the field to get an advantage) mercenaries, ABS for MZ, skill tree, license board, transformations, limit breaks, trance, platformer mod, FF9 stealing, chain skills, chain attacks, fusion spells, fighting commands, gacha, DLC, microtransactions, ads, ect.
They have a discord which you can find a link to on their wikia (where all the deets about their plugins is kept).

I dunno that they're going to make a JP levels plugin again since afaik there were issues with balancing it against other scripts in the past, but their discord should know. I think they just showed off their next wave there recently, too.
KrimsonKatt
Yeah, I saw on their website. Pretty much all of Wave 8 is porting Olivia's MV plugins to MZ under the visuastella brand. Those were some of my favorite plugins back in the MV days, so I'm glad they're being brought over. I just REALLY need that JP levels plugin for my game to work properly, but I think I may have found a solution.

If I can somehow make maximum levels determined by class and not by character like it is in the default, then I can have the max character level be 99 which would be tied to a main class which is hidden. The subclasses will be the classes you actually switch between, and the third class would be the subclass. The subclass would fully determine your stats, while the third class would only give you skills. The main class is non-important as it just serves as a base to represent the character. (which might be different based on the actor, IDK) The level cap for the subclass would be 16 instead of 99 with stats that are determined by the level of your main class. So it would use a formula for every stat of a class (HP, AP/MP, STR/ATK, DEF, MAG/MAT, RES/MDF, SPD/AGI, SKL, and LUK) that is basically (Stat = main class level * (formula)) with the formula being anything to produce whatever stats I desire.

This could actually work without a JP levels plugin, but then I would have to ditch JP entirely which would suck. I really want character and class level to be separate, which really won't work without a way to make JP be the thing that levels you up instead of EXP. If both character levels and job levels are both leveled up with EXP, then it would be a lot easier to level up a class instead of a character. But wait... maybe I can change it so that the subclass gets and different rate of EXP? Genius! Maybe that will work for now until a JP levels plugin comes up, because I really don't like the idea of learning skills through a menu using JP. It was tedious in Meteo Chronicles and it will be tedious here if I let it continue.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Rule of thumb: Anyone using any variation of the name "UserIDontLikeSucks" is a troll. There are no exceptions, no matter the validity of their argument, which is usually zero.
Pages: 1